Belle's post-keynote re-observation thread

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    [quote]Originally posted by Kate:

<strong>

The new iMacs are interesting looking, stylish machines nicely equipped, but very expensive.

Apple is going more and more away from "consumer" products. A consumer product in the field of personal computers is a below $1000 product, certainly not a below $2000 product.

It is bold to release a successor to the iMac that has middle class performance for an upper class price.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't understand how you can say a 15 inch LCD, G4 with 256 cache running at full processor speed at 800mhz, an Nvidia Geforce2 MX with 32 megs of DDR ram and a Superdrive is "middle class" or "expensive" at $1799.

I do agree that Apple needs a machine in the sub 1000 range but in time this machine will get there. For what this machine is, and what it can do I think a lot of consumers can justify the price. Especially for $1299

Besides, if anyone really needs a $799 mac, they're still selling the CRT iMacs with 600mhz G3s for 799.

If anything I think Apple's machines are getting LESS expensive. Look at the portables, the prices are amazing. Sure, they're all a little more then PCs but thats what you get when you buy a BMW over a Honda.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    ok, so i clunked down my coin pretty darn fast...call me SJ's bitch , but it seems to me, and i very well may be wrong, that computers are actually going up a bit lately...sure you can still get a cheap base system, and dell will try to sell its stuff cheap too....but if you get an LCD computer with a nice drive and whatnot...suddenly the price is twice the base system and very near the iMac price...and the iBook kicks butt in form, function AND price (or at least holds it's own in price)....i think they should keep the orginal iMac as a cheap system...but don't know if they will do that....can they make a cheaper new iMac?? sure, but maybe not by much....we will see....g

which computer company will be the first to copy the new iMac and get sued by apple??

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: thegelding ]</p>
  • Reply 23 of 24
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    To add to my point, I just priced a Dell Dimension 4300S, their "consumer" machine. Here's what I came up with:

1.8GhZ Pentium 4 - fastest they offer for this model

256 megs of RAM

40 GIG HD

15 inch LCD

32 meg ATI - this was the best card you can select

combo drive - no DVD-R of course

56k modem

cheapest ethernet card

Total: 1600

$200 more for all that plus a superdrive, OS X and an amazing design. That sounds fair to me
  • Reply 24 of 24
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    The Mathmatica guy was so, so funny. I love it when people are passionate and excited about geeky stuff.

Jeff