Apple in talks for $479M stake in Japanese chipmaker Renesas SP Drivers - report

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member

Apple may want control of the LCD driver chip so it can incorporate new technologies to drive Quantum Dot displays.

• Reply 22 of 27

Half of Japan is radioactive. I wouldn't buy anything there that I couldn't quickly move offshore. Since patents and designs can be easily moved Apple should keep everything up to date and in the USA. If they needed to they could duplicate the hardware in the USA.

According to several scientists if there is another explosion at the Fukushima plant while they are repositioning the spent fuel rods and the unused fuel rods (which is estimated to take almost three years starting last October) Japan will be totally irradiated and the cloud from the explosion (even a small one) will blow to the west coast of North America. They said all of the western side of North America would need to be evacuated. They didn't mention how far inland but it would be all of California, Oregon, and Washington.

This explosion wouldn't be a Hiroshima size explosion. It would just need to be a small reaction that exploded the building and released the radioactive debris and steam. That would be enough to kill everybody in Japan within a few weeks. Apple's California campus 1 would be ruined within a week once the trade winds brought the toxins to the USA.

What is the likelihood of this happening? Considering there is over a 95% chance of a 7.0 earthquake in Japan happening within the next three years the odds are not good for Japan.

• Reply 23 of 27
    Apple may want control of the LCD driver chip so it can incorporate new technologies to drive Quantum Dot displays.

Your response triggered a memory about this. Here is a patent link... http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2014/02/quantum-dots-could-take-the-retina-display-to-the-next-level.html#more.

We all will have to wait to see what Apple does if the purchase is successful.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

(Post 21)

Well, so it goes. Karma is a stern mistress.

As a resident of California, I would be glad that we would have more warning than was given to Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

If what you report on here is for real, it should be a priority project for the whole world to do whatever it would take to lessen the danger. Maybe particularly the US.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    180c180c Posts: 7member
    melgross wrote: »
    I'd like to see them buy more of Imagination.
    I second that
  • Reply 26 of 27

Your response triggered a memory about this. Here is a patent link... http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2014/02/quantum-dots-could-take-the-retina-display-to-the-next-level.html#more.

We all will have to wait to see what Apple does if the purchase is successful.

When I read the story, my first thought was that Apple has some changes they want to make but don't want to let the changes get out of their hands by farming it out to an outside vendor... This way Apple can incorporate differentiating technology into the drivers and keep it under wraps until they ship it, and make it harder to knock off/reverse engineer.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sessamoid View Post

You mean RE-acquire ARM. Apple was one of the 3 original companies that founded ARM as a joint venture, but had reportedly since sold off their share of the company.

@sessamoid: Yes, Apple's main contribution in that joint venture was, however, mostly financial.  When Steve Jobs came back, he sold off non-essential business units to save money and gradually sold its entire share of ARM between 1998 and 2004.