Greenpeace flies blimp over Silicon Valley to praise Apple, others for 'building a greener Internet'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Man, this thread certainly has brought out all the underground blimp experts.
  • Reply 22 of 46
    solipsismx wrote: »
    You didn't know what I was saying but you made a decision on what I was saying anyway to be nasty to me? That doesn't sound reasonable to me.
    I didn't decide anything, hence "if you had a serious point to make". For someone who decries others for judging their tone unreasonably you sure are quick to do it right back.

But go ahead, deflect criticism of your own callousness under the internationally recognised banner of sarcasm. Real big and grown up you are.
  • Reply 23 of 46
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    crowley wrote: »
    Man, this thread certainly has brought out all the underground blimp experts.

FYI: All those comments about the blimps are also meant to be funny.
    But go ahead, deflect criticism of your own callousness under the internationally recognised banner of sarcasm. Real big and grown up you are.

That deflection where I stated I fully accept if you don't like comment. That deflection.

My concern was you actually getting upset that I was trying to somehow recruit serial killers to do my bidding. MWUHAHAHHAAHAHHAHAA
  • Reply 24 of 46
    And one might have been snigger worthy. The half dozen follow ups are teetering on repetitive.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    And one might have been snigger worthy. The half dozen follow ups are teetering on repetitive.

Since you're so judgy with everyone's one-liners in a casual tech forum I wonder what types of comedy appeals to you. Even some examples of what you find funny would be nice.
  • Reply 26 of 46
    I don't really think that's necessary; I'm not asking you to entertain me.
  • Reply 27 of 46
    I don't really think that's necessary; I'm not asking you to entertain me.

I was actually asking you to entertain me. You've piqued my curiosity. For all we know you don't find humour in anything, or you love the antics of the Three Stooges, or you find movies of Richard Curtis delightful, or something else entirely. I honestly have no idea hence my query.
  • Reply 28 of 46
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I always say the best way for anyone overly concerned about their carbon footprint is to 1) not exist and 2) not-have children, and you might as well take out as many hippies as you can before kill yourself.

Will hipsters do? :lol:
  • Reply 29 of 46
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

And Apple were hassling Microsoft when Vista was having issues and they saw an opportunity to sell a few more Macs. Using opportunity to sell a message does not equate to BS, it equates to good messaging policy.

It isn't good messaging policy - because the criteria they use to pick companies to hassle has nothing to do with the environment.  Eventually everyone will realize that they are crooks and this policy will backfire.

They are not an organization that protects the environment, they are an organization that shakes down people for money.

• Reply 30 of 46

How much fossil fuel-sourced electricity and how big a carbon footprint does manufacturing a blimp (and all of its customized parts) require?

• Reply 31 of 46
    e1618978 wrote: »

It isn't good messaging policy - because the criteria they use to pick companies to hassle has nothing to do with the environment.  Eventually everyone will realize that they are crooks and this policy will backfire.

They are not an organization that protects the environment, they are an organization that shakes down people for money.

1) I wonder if they are moving their own goalposts specifically to make it harder for Apple to get 100% or as many A's next time. To me, that seems like something they would do.

2) My problem with the blimp is that it seems like a waste compared to other forms of advertisements, but maybe I'm wrong. I'd think talking out a digital ad praising Apple would do more good but maybe this blimp is unique enough to get news media to report on it thereby making it the most cost, fuel, and environmentally efficient form of praise.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    georgeip5georgeip5 Posts: 225member
    One word, beautiful. Nice to see thats it's 100% Eco friendly and good for google too. But that That great that Apples servers are 100% green.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I always say the best way for anyone overly concerned about their carbon footprint is to 1) not exist and 2) not-have children, and you might as well take out as many hippies as you can before kill yourself.

Will hipsters do? image

As long as it's not moms-basement dwelling trolls. There'd be no one left to post.

• Reply 34 of 46
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    bobschlob wrote: »
    As long as it's not moms-basement dwelling trolls. There'd be no one left to post.

Shoot those are the ones that are going to survive a zombie apocalypse. Couldn't kill them if we tried.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Tbh I have no idea what you were trying to do. It was a rubbish post whether taken literally or sarcastically, and in either case it was certainly mean spirited

Oh, please. The sarcasm was obvious. Plus, we have a rich tradition of hippie hunting in the US.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    Nice place.
  • Reply 37 of 46
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Meanwhile in San Francisco residents have spotted what appears to be several blimps loaded with shipping containers converging on the fisherman's wharf area.
  • Reply 38 of 46
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

Apple cares about ecology but screws our government by avoiding paying taxes which they owe!

• Reply 39 of 46
    marvfox wrote: »
    Apple cares about ecology but screws our government by avoiding paying taxes which they owe!

Taxes they owe or taxes you think they should pay above what they legally owe?
  • Reply 40 of 46
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    marvfox wrote: »

Apple pay all their US taxes, they are one of America's largest taxpayers, why should they pay US taxes on income derived outside the country, which is never repatriated, Apple is a multinational company just like any other multinational company.