Apple issues fifth OS X 10.9.3 Mavericks beta to developers with minimal changes

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    oldmacs wrote: »
    What do you mean Apple Authorised Partition?

You said you can boot into a different partition to run ML on your Mac, but Mac installers don't offer this feature. The only way Apple authorized a dual boot system is with Bootcamp and that only allows you to install one copy of Windows. As far as I know every other dual and multi-boot option is outside of the purview of standard Mac OS X operating procedure.
    That last couple of safari crashes state : 
    Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: EXC_I386_GPFLT

For the first one there is talk that Finder extensions you've installed can cause this. For the second I found this, "EXC_I386_GPFLT is surely referring to "General Protection fault", which is the x86's way to tell you that "you did something that you are not allowed to do." Neither of these are a smoking gun but your comments having actually listed any troubleshooting techniques, like use s vanilla system and intruding apps only once certain tests and time frames have been passed. If you're reinstalling the OS and then restoring from a backup you can be intruding your issues again. Even if you're reinstalling an app from a clean download you can still be causing your issues if it doesn't work well on your HW with Mavericks. This can even be something you attach to your Mac.
  • Reply 22 of 53
    about 10 people I know have gone to Mavericks. The others are on a combination of Lion and Mountain Lion. 

All 11 of you have had issues so severe that you regret it? It's not impossible but that seems improbable that no one you know that uses Mavericks doesn't regret it. That doesn't means they haven't had an issue here or there, but you said they all regret installing it.
  • Reply 23 of 53
    oldmacsoldmacs Posts: 81member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You said you can boot into a different partition to run ML on your Mac, but Mac installers don't offer this feature. The only way Apple authorized a dual boot system is with Bootcamp and that only allows you to install one copy of Windows. As far as I know every other dual and multi-boot option is outside of the purview of standard Mac OS X operating procedure.

For the first one there is talk that Finder extensions you've installed can cause this. For the second I found this, "EXC_I386_GPFLT is surely referring to "General Protection fault", which is the x86's way to tell you that "you did something that you are not allowed to do." Neither of these are a smoking gun but your comments having actually listed any troubleshooting techniques, like use s vanilla system and intruding apps only once certain tests and time frames have been passed. If you're reinstalling the OS and then restoring from a backup you can be intruding your issues again. Even if you're reinstalling an app from a clean download you can still be causing your issues if it doesn't work well on your HW with Mavericks. This can even be something you attach to your Mac.

I'm sorry I should have explained myself better.. I have Mountain Lion as a parition my old internal HD (I upgraded the original to a 750GB one) in an external enclosure. My internal Hard drive has  a  Mavericks partition and a bootcamp partition. 

When I do a clean Install, I manually back everything up, then I wipe the hard drive and reinstall. I then manually copy my stuff back over (Desktop folder, Documents folder etc etc) I don't copy stuff from my library over (besides iOS backups) 

Most of the problems occur with or without software installed. Installing software does slow the system down a bit but doesn't invoke issues that were there before installing them (If that makes sense) 

A lot of the applications I have are app store ones or ones that you drag in to the applications folder, though I guess some probably do use the Library. However regardless pretty much all of them have been updated for mavericks any way. I haven't fiddled with the finder or installed anything funny at all. 

• Reply 24 of 53

Yep, most cite sluggishness and things unexpectedly quitting. 

• Reply 25 of 53
    11001011100101 Posts: 12member

Right. Makes you wonder why they put so much effort in the multimedia part of Mavericks in the updates right now, when it's apparently superstable and always superior... :no:

Mavericks still does not support many cards that have been out for a while, and even older cards. Well, it's both Sapphire and Apple on this one. To bad it's always the customers have to deal with the "it's on them, not us" mentality. That really solves the problems.. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Yes I'm a fanboy because I don't have any problems.

Does Apple even support that card? I know it's made for the Mac but do they make the drivers for it or does AMD? If Apple doesn't support it then this isn't Apple's fault.

When a card has the name Mac Edition, that means Apple is or have been involved. Just saying. Hopefully Apple is working with Sapphire now on 10.9.3. I'm really tired of the issues.

• Reply 26 of 53
    I'm sorry I should have explained myself better.. I have Mountain Lion as a parition my old internal HD (I upgraded the original to a 750GB one) in an external enclosure. My internal Hard drive has  a  Mavericks partition and a bootcamp partition. 

When I do a clean Install, I manually back everything up, then I wipe the hard drive and reinstall. I then manually copy my stuff back over (Desktop folder, Documents folder etc etc) I don't copy stuff from my library over (besides iOS backups) 

Most of the problems occur with or without software installed. Installing software does slow the system down a bit but doesn't invoke issues that were there before installing them (If that makes sense) 

A lot of the applications I have are app store ones or ones that you drag in to the applications folder, though I guess some probably do use the Library. However regardless pretty much all of them have been updated for mavericks any way. I haven't fiddled with the finder or installed anything funny at all. 

What about peripherals you plug into the ports or did you add any 3rd-party, internal HW, like RAM.

Anecdote time: I once had a Powerbook that worked fine with my 3rd-party RAM for several months. Then I did one of their GM released point updates for that OS. Immediately after that I started having wonkiness issues, which including the entire system crashing. I reinstalled from the DVD and had no issues, until after I completed the point update. i finally sent it to Apple as it was under warranty. They sent it back reinstalled and up to date but with my 3rd-party RAM removed. I forget if it had on-board RAM, if I had included the original Apple RAM in the box, or if they added a minimum of Apple RAM to get it working but I certainly didn't pay for any RAM. That was the issue with that point update. That's not to say it wasn't something that could have been resolved with SW but it certainly was something between the combo that Mac OS X didn't like. I bought different 3rd-party RAM and it worked fine. After that incident I question everything when there is an issue.
  • Reply 27 of 53

Tried taking my 8GB OWC out and putting the 4 GB original brand back in and it doesn't make a difference. 

Most of the time nothing is plugged into the ports... 

• Reply 28 of 53
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    "Previous OS X 10.9.3 betas added pixel-doubling scaling support, suggesting the upcoming maintenance update will bring a so-called "Retina" output mode for users connecting their late-2013 MacBook Pro with Retina display to external 4K monitors."

What about 2012 and early-2013 rMBPs? Will they not support pixel-doubling scaling on 4K monitors? I have an early-2013 15" rMBP.
  • Reply 29 of 53
    jcallowsjcallows Posts: 150member
    iTunes contacts and calendar syncing over USB will be back? Woo hoo! This makes perfect sense and should never have required iCloud for it to work. Thanks for listening, Apple!
  • Reply 30 of 53
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I do agree they need to allocate more dev resources to OS X, it seems like they only fix critical bugs these days. But overall OS X is a fine product, if you want to see what real bugginess looks like, try using a Linux distro for a week, even one that focuses on stability such as Ubuntu LTS.

• Reply 31 of 53
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    solipsismx wrote: »

You could very well be correct that Apple doesn't see "multi-boot" as a standard operating procedure, however... I've been doing multi-boot partitions on all of my Macs for years now, my main Mac having SL, ML and Mavericks available at the "option-key start-up screen".

I must have these available for troubleshooting client machines sometimes, but most of all because a large chunk of my design clients also have to have a multiboot partition for Snow Leopard because of FreeHand. We have literally millions of old FH files between all of us, and sometimes when opening one in Illustrator CS5.5 (the last version to allow opening/converting of FH files to AI), will get "borked". We then have to do a restart int SL with FH installed to recover the data directly out of FH or fidddle with it to export a better copy. BTW: FreeHand as many know can't be installed in ML or Mavericks due to the lack of Rosetta. FreeHand was killed by Adobe, and they also stopped developing the ability to open/convert the FH format sinse Illustrator CS6.

With that explanation as to why, I must say I have experienced no problemes installing multiple OSX versions on multiple partitions. You definately need to turn off Spotlight indexing of the partitions though on the main OSX install. This is also the reason why I always keep OS and user data/libraries seperated as best I can, even though that's not standard procedure either... just sayin'... :smokey:
  • Reply 32 of 53
    ..... When I do a clean Install, I manually back everything up, then I wipe the hard drive and reinstall. I then manually copy my stuff back over (Desktop folder, Documents folder etc etc) I don't copy stuff from my library over (besides iOS backups) 

May I ask how many objects i.e. folders, files, etc. that you keep on your desktop? You mentioned you "copied over the Desktop folder", which isn't advised to do really.

I ask because I ran into an odd problem on one of my Macs when I did a "simple upgrade" to test the most common upgrade procedure that most people do. I personally recommend always fresh installing major upgrades.

Anyway... I ran into a looping Finder crash, meaning that the Finder was continually blinking on and off every few seconds. I noticed that on this machine I had a number of data files (PDFs, screen shots, web locs, and assorted pictures for a project) on the desktop... something I generally don't do or advise others to do, or at least allow to accumulate without properly filing them in a folder and then using aliases if you need them to be easily accessible or as a reminder from the desktop.

I fixed the problem by pulling all of the files from the desktop, including aliases, into a folder on my data drive, then did a restart and PRAM reset (cmd-R alt-P) 3 times in succession (something to do with clicking of heals, a wizard, and home... don't ask... just works for me :) ) After the restart, everything worked perfectly fine, no more crash loop.

I was able to reconstruct the Finder Crash just by dragging the old contents back to the desktop. I didn't have the time to varify exactly which file, folder or alias was the main culprit. I just decided to keep to my normal disciplined approach by not filling up the Finder desktop. It's kind of an "old guys" reasoning, because normally the Finder and the Trash are far more forgiving these days than they used to be. Corrupted desktops used to be one of the first things we checked... after we made sure the computer was actually plugged in :)
  • Reply 33 of 53
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oldmacs View Post

I ran Lion on a 2008 White Macbook from day 1 and while it was a bit sluggish, it wasn't big ridden. 

Mavericks is miles better than Lion. Faster and more stable. Makes my 2011 MacBook Air which came with Lion like a brand new laptop.

• Reply 34 of 53
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1100101 View Post

Right. Makes you wonder why they put so much effort in the multimedia part of Mavericks in the updates right now, when it's apparently superstable and always superior... :no:

Apple is likely aiming for 4K support on Retina MacBook soon. 4K @ 6oHz is non-existent on Mac laptops at the moment.

• Reply 35 of 53
    What about Sandybridge intel HD 3000 Graphics update for supporting 4k @60Hz? All builds of OS X 10.9.3 till new build 13D33 look not meant for ?
  • Reply 36 of 53
    You could very well be correct that Apple doesn't see "multi-boot" as a standard operating procedure, however... I've been doing multi-boot partitions on all of my Macs for years now, my main Mac having SL, ML and Mavericks available at the "option-key start-up screen".

I must have these available for troubleshooting client machines sometimes, but most of all because a large chunk of my design clients also have to have a multiboot partition for Snow Leopard because of FreeHand. We have literally millions of old FH files between all of us, and sometimes when opening one in Illustrator CS5.5 (the last version to allow opening/converting of FH files to AI), will get "borked". We then have to do a restart int SL with FH installed to recover the data directly out of FH or fidddle with it to export a better copy. BTW: FreeHand as many know can't be installed in ML or Mavericks due to the lack of Rosetta. FreeHand was killed by Adobe, and they also stopped developing the ability to open/convert the FH format sinse Illustrator CS6.

With that explanation as to why, I must say I have experienced no problemes installing multiple OSX versions on multiple partitions. You definately need to turn off Spotlight indexing of the partitions though on the main OSX install. This is also the reason why I always keep OS and user data/libraries seperated as best I can, even though that's not standard procedure either... just sayin'... :smokey:

No argument here. Even Apple Store Geniuses have HDDs that they can plug into your Mac and boot from many partitions. My query was about doing something atypical from Apple's PoV. Something that may have worked for 5 Mac OS X releases might be slightly different with their next release but we won't get this change explained by Apple because it's not how they want us to use their product. I was trying to determine a baseline because their is a severe lack of communication between Apple and us.

PS: I don't believe oldmacs is in anyway making up his Mavericks issues.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by oldmacs View Post

The issue is a poorly made OS. Its running terribly on a friend's 2011 iMac, 2011 Mac Mini and 2010 Macbook Pro (Off the top of my head) 

Nice FUD, by the way.

• Reply 38 of 53
    solipsismx wrote: »
    No argument here. Even Apple Store Geniuses have HDDs that they can plug into your Mac and boot from many partitions. My query was about doing something atypical from Apple's PoV. Something that may have worked for 5 Mac OS X releases might be slightly different with their next release but we won't get this change explained by Apple because it's not how they want us to use their product. I was trying to determine a baseline because their is a severe lack of communication between Apple and us.

OK. I just didn't want to misunderstand what you were saying or have anyone else misunderstand that you "can" run multiple OSes on different partitions.

PS: I don't believe oldmacs is in anyway making up his Mavericks issues.

I don't either. I'm opposed to his generalizing that Mavericks is the worst OSX ever... because he and all of his friends are experiencing problems.

We've been around these devices for years and have developed best practices for upgrades, many of which most of my tech-savvy friends don't even practice to be honest.

As much as I love my Macs, I at the same time vigorously oppose Apple's stance on pushing "easy click upgrades", especially dot-zero releases, to their everyday "consumer customers". I personally have a cautious and skeptical, step-by-step list that I adhere to religiously when doing upgrades... and even then run into a snag or 2 once in awhile... especially with dot-zeros. That's why I always advise my clients to be patient until I find the time to do it for them... WHEN and IF... we determine that the upgrade is beneficial for them in the short term. Else I say, "wait for at least dot-3". By that time, most if not all the "nasty little bug-gers" that cause unnecessary time to troubleshoot on my side, have been done away with. Also, the professional programs that we work with (Adobe mostly) have also had the time to "re-adjust" and release small upgrades.

NOTE: "oldmacs" playing around inside of his machine is also for me an absolute "no go"! A client of mine that thinks they can do open heart surgery on one of my "babies" by themselves, gets a fairly serious tongue lashing(!) How many people do you know that have the proper anti-static tools and workspace to be tinkering inside a very confined space of an Apple device? Also considering I don't even trust myself to dig into the guts of say an iMac, and prefer that people always budget for max RAM and get Apple Care. Those machines that experience problems go straight to Apple, and if they break it... it gets returned until THEY get it right and fixed properly. Apple no longer makes DIY machines. Period. Accept that reality and you'll be happier... or you should purchase something else.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VisualZone View Post

It's probably coming from the iHaters. Some are trying to make Mavericks sound like it's a Windows Me/Vista release. I too never had any issues with Mavericks or iOS 7.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

It's been stable since it's release. Never any major issues here. Dunno here this is coming from. It's been one of the better releases.

Maybe you should read about all the problems with Mail, which was referenced in the article, and is a KNOWN problem identified by Apple.  It continues to be a sore spot for Apple as this update continues to try to fix Mail.  So stop dishing out your crap when Mavericks Mail has been an embarrassment for Apple.

• Reply 40 of 53
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Mavericks is miles better than Lion. Faster and more stable. Makes my 2011 MacBook Air which came with Lion like a brand new laptop.

Nice, comparing it to another lousy release.  Mavericks is far worse than Mountain Lion as it introduced more problems.  Even after three updates, Mail still has problems.  So keep dreaming.