Apple's Tim Cook banked $74M in 2013, topping all but one S&P 500 tech CEO

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

No singe person does work that warrants such pay.

Thanks for letting us know that you have the right to tell others how much money they can make.

I now appoint myself as the one who tells you whether or not your beliefs have any worth whatsoever. Guess the verdict.

• Reply 22 of 42
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

In my opinion, the guy earns every fucking penny. He's a well known workaholic, starts his day at 3:30am, lives for the company (he has no family that I know of) and compared to the revenues and profits that Apple pulls in, his salary is a drop in the bucket. Also, his salary is only 4.5M, the rest are stock options, which means he's highly incentivised. When Apple can pull in close to 40 billion in revenues in one quarter (or $40,000 Million to put it into perspective) I have no problem at all with his compensation. It's pretty irrelevant, and it's not like it's a number that he dictates.

Where I DO have a problem is when CEO's of companies who are bleeding money, or about to go bankrupt, pull in tens of millions then get an even larger golden parachute. People like Cook should be compensated accordingly. 

• Reply 23 of 42
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

AI posted this just to get a reaction out of Constable Odo. Watch what happens next. image

OMG!  Don't get me started.  I've already put an icebag on my head after hearing this.  Must... cool... down...

This is the reason why Tim Cook smiles after every earnings call and says everything is just peachy dandy.

• Reply 24 of 42
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

The money saved from the anti-poaching agreements which suppressed employee wages has got to go somewhere.

• Reply 25 of 42
    If you understand what Apple really is I think you'd agree that while Tim probably isn't unhappy about the money, what makes him happy is succeeding at creating the best products possible that are useful to people.

My favorite part about the 'income inequality' complaint is the convenient omission of the 'who-creates-more-value-inequality' reality that goes with it.  It's easy to be ornery at the rich and mistakenly believe they don't deserve it.  It's also easy to not work as hard or smart as they do.

If someone creates value they should be compensated for it 1:1.  Otherwise you disincentivise creating value.  Ask any of several failed socio-economical systems of the past how that works out.

(I do have to point out that I'm not for cronyism and monopolies and unions and pretty much anything else that stands in the way of opportunity, hard work, and just compensation commensurate with hard work.)

• Reply 26 of 42
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

AI posted this just to get a reaction out of Constable Odo. Watch what happens next. image

I was thinking exactly the same thing. If this thread suddenly takes on a pungent aroma, it'll be Odo's bowels hemorrhaging.

... Oops ... too late. Must be leaking right around his Depends ...

• Reply 27 of 42
    aussiepaulaussiepaul Posts: 144member
    I wonder if Tim would work for Apple regardless of pay?
    Yes these pay packets are rediculous, but it's an industry wide problem and nothing specific to Apple. I agree that Tim had done a great job but, salaries of $70M? C'mon people this is just rediculous.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    In other news...
  • Reply 29 of 42
    Yeah....because they don't tell anyone else how much they can earn...
  • Reply 30 of 42

Apple's (RED) contributions in fight against HIV/AIDS reach $70 million to date.

Apple's Tim Cook banked $74 million in 2013.

While I have no real issue with Tim Cook's wage, and sincerely applaud their charitable contributions, seeing these two headlines next to each other is a bit disturbing.

• Reply 31 of 42
    Originally Posted by bananafoot View Post

While I have no real issue with Tim Cook's wage, and sincerely applaud their charitable contributions, seeing these two headlines next to each other is a bit disturbing.

Not really.

• Reply 32 of 42
    wubbuswubbus Posts: 70member
    All that matters is whether the shareholders think they are getting value for money. They're the ones paying Cook. If someone else can generate the same or better returns for cheaper (while stewarding the company the way that is acceptable to the shareholders) then that's the math they need to look at.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bananafoot View Post

Apple's (RED) contributions in fight against HIV/AIDS reach $70 million to date.

Apple's Tim Cook banked $74 million in 2013.

If Apple were a charity then I would be equally disturbed.  Considering that they aren't, I fail to see the problem when comparing those two figures.  Apple donating $70 million is more then most entities will come close to donating.

• Reply 34 of 42
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Talk about Gay elite.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

Please forward your approved Apple articles list asap to Apple Insider so they can get this fixed right away

Chuckle-worthy!

• Reply 36 of 42
    portcityportcity Posts: 68member
    That is a lot of money considering he hasn't done much and is still riding on the success of Steve Jobs. There are many Apple products that haven't been updated in years. Lately Apple's innovation has consisted of simply making products lighter and a little faster than the previous version the year before, and throwing on a retina display (which is no longer tops in the industry). I enjoy Apple products and Cook has done a good job of maintaining the status quo, but I am not going to give accolades to mediocrity.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    So, will Cook print and distribute similar shares for the people in the stores or in the factories which made him rich?

No.

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others..."
  • Reply 38 of 42
    Originally Posted by befuddled View Post

So, will Cook print and distribute similar shares for the people in the stores or in the factories which made him rich? No.

Shut up.

“All animals are equal…

Who said that? That’s utter nonsense.

• Reply 39 of 42

Spread the love.

• Reply 40 of 42

Spread that love! ;-)