Class Report/Speech.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have an assignment in my English class that requires the help of everybody here. My topic for the "Argumentative Essay" is Apple Computer. I will eventually have to present a speech to the class about why I think Apple makes better PC's than the "other guys." I have a good start I just think your help could help Apple as well as me.

We have to present an opinion in a way that may be biased but not blatent bias (We cant "Poison The Well" by saying Pc's suck because...)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Macintosh ]

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Macintosh ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    Help! PLEASE!
  • Reply 2 of 30
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    Damn, I wish my school did argumentative essays. Now for some help: Apple makes the hardware, the OS, and the software for ultimate integration. Just look at iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto. Plus, there are always some hardware compatibility issues because everything is made by different people. Macs are made for average people. The people that want a great machine and simplicity. These are people that don't want the hassle of tearing their computer up every week, or having to reboot every hour. Macs are for people that want to do efficient computing. Oh ya, we have power and sex. &lt;---- don't forget that

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: G4Dude ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by G4Dude:

<strong>Damn, I wish my school did argumentative essays. Now for some help: Apple makes the hardware, the OS, and the software for ultimate integration. Just look at iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto. Plus, there are always some hardware compatibility issues because everything is made by different people. Macs are made for average people. The people that want a great machine and simplicity. These are people that don't want the hassle of tearing their computer up every week, or having to reboot every hour. Macs are for people that want to do efficient computing. Oh ya, we have power and sex. &lt;---- don't forget that

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: G4Dude ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks, that is the sort of thing I need!
  • Reply 4 of 30
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    I would try to work in innovative, superior industrial design- guessing it'll go over better that power and sex. OSX is based on an open source technology, so bug fixes should come faster. More secure...

I'll try to think of more.

Jeff

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: jeffyboy ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 30
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    Goes along with more secure, but a less attractive target to virus writers.

Jeff
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Less technical, what can I say to inform them about macs first? The general impression in my school is that iMacs "suck". What do I do to get them to listen?
  • Reply 7 of 30
    The key is to warm them up to the idea first, then assault them with undeniable truths in a biased fashion!
  • Reply 8 of 30
    graphs showing benchmarks of macs vs. PC's. People can understand graphs and to the average stuent, seeing a longer/shorter bar for the mac would convince them that the mac was faster. It is vital though that you talk about the integration with the "i" apps. Also, talk about the PowerMac's easy to access logic board and the wonderful case design.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    The "Whole Widget" will be a main focus, yes. IApps are a good point to make.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    You need to mention Steve Jobs IMHO. A charismatic figure, cultured, but also controversial (the reality-distortion field, elitism).
  • Reply 11 of 30
    our CEO doesn't dance around like a monkey. Our processors are not sold by lying to the consumers (MHz myth). If you take along some presentation equipment (I'm sure the school has some) you could even show the animation from <a href="http://www.apple.com/g4/myth/"; target="_blank">here</a>, not the whole movie, just the part showing the animation with the pipeline stuff. Damn, you are lucky, I really wish I was doing this presentation

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: G4Dude ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 30
    I will include Steve, dont worry about that, hes my hero.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Keep it coming! I do well in front of people so I really could help influence people. It will be fun, though not due for like 2 weeks or so! Maybe by that time i will have my new imac to unveil to THEM! Holly SHIT! I THIS WILL BE SO COOL!

• Reply 14 of 30
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Also if possible also include something on how Apple's competitions try to immitate their ideas. I think that would be interesting.

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Yes, I have a magazine which shows a timeline of how dell copies Apple every step of the way.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    lol. I wonder if anybody here HASN'T done a school report on Apple or Steve Jobs. there was a point where ever single paper I did was based on Apple

not as easy to do that in high school though. instead my little brother does that
  • Reply 17 of 30
    All I write about is Apple in high school. I somehow end up relating everything back to Apple (is that healthy)?

I wrote my McKegg Writing Asessment about Apple. The prompt was "Do you think breaking the law is morally right in some cases?" I related this to the Apple Xerox story and then spanned out into Apple/M$ stuff. The Mckegg is a national writing assessment and it is graded on a scale of 1-7 (7 being the best) and I got a 6. My English teacher made the class give me an ovation, little did they know that I wrote WHAT I KNOW (the key to good writing).

• Reply 18 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:

<strong>Yes, I have a magazine which shows a timeline of how dell copies Apple every step of the way.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'd love to see that... anywhere I can see it online?

IMO you should mention that Apple was the first with a true wireless solution, easy DVD burning, movie making, etc. You should also mention how ever since the iMac came out, Intel and Microsoft have been talking about "legacy free" PCs (exactly what the iMac was, and all Macs are now). You should mention how Microsoft decides to throw a new skin onto XP after seeing Aqua. You should mention how with every Windows release, Microsoft basically says that this is the best Windows ever, and all previous versions were crap. Then with the next release they do it again. Talk about longevity, "true price." Talk about how easy ALL of the machines are to upgrade, not just the PowerMac (but mention that too)... and show them, if you can, how the side door opens (since they must all have towers).

As for everyone copying Apple, there's a great quote from Steve Jobs in an older issue of Fortune magazine. I'm at school right now so I don't have it at the moment, but if I go home this weekend I'll post it for you.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    Whatever you do, don't be negative towards Windows/Intel computers.

Talk about the advantages of the Mac all you want, just don't disparage other PCs.

For a couple reasons:

1. You're better than that.

2. Most of the people in the class probably don't have Macs and you'll just alienate them.

For example, it's cool if people want a Win PC to bring their work home with them. But it's much cooler if people have a computer they can do their work on, plus be able to easily make a video of their kids first soccer game.

That kind of thing.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Can you use props? Do you have access to a powerbook or ibook? Give them a demo of some of the apps we're really happy with (iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto) and the iPod. Talk about battery life in the portables. price for consumer level computer (For a change). Burn a cd from the finder or itunes. Give them an example of serving a website from your computer. Apache, php, mysql, x windows, all free and easy to do (relatively speaking)...