Samsung's 'Beat Apple' memo: 'Threat from Apple extremely real and urgent'

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 109
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by peteo View Post

Going to weight in on this. I think this is an important topic about the way the media has been able to spin apple as losing its innovation spirit and soon will be come less of a presence in the future of tech I don't believe this)

The fact is Steve is gone. People listened to him. He had the media's ear like Bill gates, Bezos, Page, Dell does etc... The want to hear them talk, they know they built something out of nothing and changed the world. Tim cook is a great CEO, but he did not do this. The media does not think of him the same way, and neither does the public.

Case in point. Do you hear any thing about antenna gate any more? Steve took it an made it a non issue, people listened to him when he talked. They took him @ his word because he already had proven him self. Now that was on a product with one of its primary uses was spun to have a"Flaw".

Now lets talk Maps. I even still do not use maps, even though the few times I did it worked pretty well. I still go to google maps. The letter that TC wrote did not effectively change the message. People did not really care what TC had to say on the issue, it was moot because he does not have the same history as tech "visionaries". In short he hasn't proven that he can change the world like Steve did over and over again.

I think apple as a company is doing incredible. Their devices are great I use them every day. But Tim cook has hard shoes to fill. He needs to change the world for the media/general public to really believe what he says about innovation and the future and that apple can still be real game changers.

I hate to say this but we would not be having this discussion if Steve was still around, its just a fact. He's not so apple now has something to prove.

One of the interesting things though is that Tim Cook said in an interview that Steve told him "I don't want you ever asking what I would do".

Jobs told him this because he had a lot of confidence in Tim Cook and selected him personally as his successor.

• Reply 102 of 109
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chipsy View Post

That's pretty well known that most of Samsung's marketshare is cheaper handsets, but hey there is a need for them to.

Quite some of the innovation credit for 64bit needs to go to ARM. It's their AArch64 that makes the A7 64bit, if ARM didn't switch from AArch32 to AArch64 then the A7 wouldn't have been 64bit. Meanwhile Apple does deserve a lot of credit for finishing the chip so early and having the software 64bit ready in such short amount of time, I must say that was quite a feat.

Samsung definitely often is a fast follower but to say they always are is wrong. f.e. Phablet format.

I'm not a Samsung fan either (although I also use Android but my prefered devices are Motorola and Nexus devices) but can't help it to correct things that seem wrong to me :s

Actually none of the Credit goes to ARM well maybe a little.  Apple is an ARM instruction set licensee (licenses the writes to build chips that understand ARM code, see this).  The do not license off the shelf ARM Core designs (Apple stopped using off the shelf generic arm cores with the A4). (Samsung and Qualcomm do).  There is a huge difference between the two.  Samsung and Qualcomm take off the shelf cores designed by ARM and use them as is (Qualcomm has done a few semi custom cores on ARM but has currently gone back to using generic).  Apple on the other hand custom designs there own cores from the ground up to run the arm instruction set.  Apples custom chips are faster and a lot more efficient that off the shelf generic ARM designs.  For more in depth see this.  Apples Swift (there custom A6 ARMv7) and Cyclone (there custom A7 ARMv8) are miles and away ahead of anything ARM itself puts out for generic off the shelf cores. And ARM has no hand in designing them at all.  Neither does Samsung or anyone else (this being a common myth among Android Fans). They are solely designed by Apple alone in house.  Samsung merely manufactures Apples design for apple.  The only thing ARM does deserve credit for is the code for the instruction set to run ARMv8a.  Not the chips Apple built. (Just for note too Apple was one of the three founders of ARM, including the original founder Acorn Computers and VLSI Technology which formed Acorn RISC Machines Ltd. later shortened to just ARM Ltd.).

• Reply 103 of 109
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Steve Jobs specifically said:
    "We do no market research."
    March of 2008. It's a sound-bite world and that's the sound-bite. How do you think he hoped for that to be perceived? Probably just the way a lot of folks did, literally. Of course it's not actually true, but Mr. Jobs was a marketing genius and knew how to work a crowd. Apple presentations and interviews will never be the same without him.

Schiller was just as misleading if not more so in his testimony from 2012's trial IMO as shown by documents revealed in this latest case.
    He testified under oath "We don't use any customer surveys, focus groups, or typical things of that nature. That plays no role in the creation of the products."

He then went on to say "you never ask people 'what features do you want in a new product". Again misleading if not downright dishonest since Apple certainly asks what buyers would like to see done differently on the iPhone as shown in documents from the latest trial.

It's not misleading or dishonest in a trial about the originality of their patented designs. It just again shows that you refuse to take their definition of customer surveys and focus testing to mean asking what kind of new products customers want in future. Features like a bigger screen or longer life battery are not patentable inventions.

They didn't ask potential customers if they wanted a revolutionary touchscreen phone with slide to unlock, momentum scrolling and rubber-banding, what shape or design it should have and they didn't with the iPad either.
    jack baker wrote:
    The e-mail exchanges Shiller has had with Tim and also with their advertising company of 16 years suggests that this guy is feckless and inept. He bemoans the fact to his ad company that Samsung is getting a lot of traction in their bashing campaign against Apple despite the fact that Apple has better products. Then he suggests to Tim that it might be a good idea to fire Apple's ad company. But, does he do it? No. Does he figure-out how to respond to Samsung's bashing campaign? No. He just allows Apple to sit there as Samsung's personal punching bag. No big tech company keeps the same ad agency for 16 years. Usually they are fired every 2-3 years to bring in a new company with fresh ideas. Not in Apple's case. This guy Shiller has to go. Apple's marketing leadership has been atrocious and this trial has exposed Shiller for the the inept buffoon that he is.

Hardly, there's a good reason they've been their ad agency for so long and there's no reason to drop them on a whim and be stuck with an inferior agency. Phil is one of the core people at Apple trying to do the right thing for the company. And they haven't become Samsung's personal punching bag. Samsung has been shown as the fraud that they are, ripping multiple companies off and all they have are cheap marketing tactics that play on people's irrational hatred of Apple. When they try to do things on their own, they fall flat:

http://www.ibtimes.com/wearable-technology-flop-chinese-counterfeiters-say-galaxy-gear-doesnt-sell-well-mass-market-1543006
  • Reply 104 of 109
    r2d2r2d2 Posts: 95member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

I fly frequently for work and see many more iPhone users scrambling for charging stations than any other smartphone. Most of my friends own an iPhone and love just about everything about it with the exception of the battery life. Longer battery life would make a huge difference for them. FYI - I charge my LG G2 about every 45 - 50 hours.

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

That means nothing. You may not use your phone as much as they do. My old Sammy dumb phone lasted a week before charging. It doesn't mean its battery life is better.

Recently, while stuck at Laguardia for over six hours during a storm, my coworkers (all with iPhones) ended up deferring to me and my phone  to get updates because their batteries were dying. During that time I had to make calls, send emails and text notifying people that I would be a no-show that day, all along pulling up live weather radar and air traffic updates. I travel, therefore I use my phone - a lot and more than most (including iPhone users).

Edit: I must add that I only got about 12 hours of battery life that day. 

• Reply 105 of 109
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    I have always been able to understand Samsung's actions, no matter how blatantly and embarrassingly sleazy they are. They are a cornered rat and will do anything at all to keep from getting crushed. Anything. What I can't understand are the media pundits who allow themselves to be played by Samsung and in the process sacrifice their own professionalism, self respect, and dignity. That is very sad. Why they've sold out so easily is still a mystery. I personally think a lot of it goes back to the "I'm a Mac and I'm a PC" campaign that made PC buyers feel like they've been royally screwed by Microsoft and the WIntel juggernaut who they blindly trusted for so many years, not knowing that BSODs and other such crap taken for granted in the PC world was totally unacceptable. Maybe Apple could have said it in a less smarmy way? But throwing in with Samsung and selling out by throwing some of the finest American ingenuity and innovation under the bus as payback for a heavy handed ad campaign is unconscionable.
  • Reply 106 of 109
    ingsocingsoc Posts: 212member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by peteo View Post

I hate to say this but we would not be having this discussion if Steve was still around, its just a fact. He's not so apple now has something to prove.

It's worth remembering that this discussion really started long ago, well before Steve Jobs passed away.  Remember the early commentary about how iPad was "just a bigger iPhone"?  The antenna issues with iPhone 4 were somewhat exacerbated by Steve Jobs' infamous remark that people simply "aren't holding it right".

Jobs was really forced to turn around and face the issue head on, and I think the way he handled that was good - but risky.

Tim Cook's response regarding Maps was entirely appropriate and - dare I say it - humble.  I think it was the correct approach.  You could argue that Apple hasn't gone to much effort to promote its mapping option subsequently, however, Apple Maps (as an issue) is really not on the same level as the iPhone 4 antenna issues, in terms of public perception and potential risk for Apple.  Apple could advise people to use an alternative mapping service in the short term, but they weren't going to advise people to use an alternative phone!

There is a strong sense in which it will take some time for Tim Cook to "prove" himself in the eyes of many critics.  But honestly, I think he has a pretty solid track record so far (and it's only early days yet!)

• Reply 107 of 109
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Marvin wrote: »
    It's not misleading or dishonest in a trial about the originality of their patented designs. It just again shows that you refuse to take their definition of customer surveys and focus testing to mean asking what kind of new products customers want in future.

Ah, what's the definition of 'is" then? I got it.
  • Reply 108 of 109
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Marvin wrote: »
    It's not misleading or dishonest in a trial about the originality of their patented designs. It just again shows that you refuse to take their definition of customer surveys and focus testing to mean asking what kind of new products customers want in future.

Ah, what's the definition of 'is" then? I got it.

It's not about definitions but context. Keep the phrases in their context and you'll get a better idea of the intended meaning.
  • Reply 109 of 109
    eldernormeldernorm Posts: 232member
    @ chipsy, "DED, this must be one of the most subjective interpretations of what is a normal market analysis PowerPoint ever. The slide is nothing more than that, every company will have slides like this"

The key here is not that a company wants to beat the competition, sure they all do, its the direction.

Copy Apple, copy Apple, copy Apple. As Steve would say, Steal the idea of making a better phone that people will love and develop it, don't just copy our innovation. Make some of your own.

What is doubly sad about samsung, they think that by claiming they come up with these ideas, that they really do. What does samsung do when Apple is not selling the next new thing...... make things bigger. Wow. Just wow.