Microsoft shows off new 'Windows in the car' concept to take on Apple's CarPlay

Comments

• Reply 41 of 98
    gumbigumbi Posts: 148member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

How many people get their nav data live in their in-car system? Not very many I would suspect. Most people don't update their map data ever. For my BMW they charged me $200 to upgrade my onboard map data. I had to do it because so many highway on ramp location around LA have been redesigned that I was constantly missing exits. Although speed limits don't change that often I would not trust the data if it was a year or two old. 

Well, it doesn't really matter what you do in your in car system in this case.  Windows in the Car isn't actually going to be running in the dash - it's running on your phone and is projected to the in dash system using mirror link.  And, I get regular map updates on my phone - so, I can't see how this is a big problem. 

I have never met a mapping system that didn't have the occasional glitch - but, Here maps has been pretty dang reliable for me - and that includes the speed limit data (it uses this to warn you if you are exceeding the posted speed limit).  But, I would never rely 100% on any of these systems.  Not until they have all of this info programmed into the roads for self-driving cars. :)

• Reply 42 of 98
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I think this is way too late...Apple already has the majority of manufacturers onboard and I can't see manufacturers implementing multiple OS's. They'll choose one, or the other, but not both.
  • Reply 43 of 98
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gumbi View Post

Well, it doesn't really matter what you do in your in car system in this case.  Windows in the Car isn't actually going to be running in the dash - it's running on your phone and is projected to the in dash system using mirror link.  And, I get regular map updates on my phone - so, I can't see how this is a big problem. 

I have never met a mapping system that didn't have the occasional glitch - but, Here maps has been pretty dang reliable for me - and that includes the speed limit data (it uses this to warn you if you are exceeding the posted speed limit).  But, I would never rely 100% on any of these systems.  Not until they have all of this info programmed into the roads for self-driving cars. :)

I agree with the in street data for self driving cars. I was unaware that currently the actual map tiles were being sent via cellular for these new smartphone linked in-dash systems. The onboard system must also have its own static map data right? For people who do not have their phone paired.

• Reply 44 of 98
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I think this is way too late...Apple already has the majority of manufacturers onboard and I can't see manufacturers implementing multiple OS's. They'll choose one, or the other, but not both.

While I doubt Microsoft has anything of value to offer here...I don't see why car manufacturers would have to choose. Both models are using the existing in-dash system to connect to...so why wouldn't they build in support for both?

I'm sure Google is right around the corner with "Android in the Car" now that they've heard of it, so when that comes too, makers will want to support it.

• Reply 45 of 98
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

How many people get their nav data live in their in-car system? Not very many I would suspect. Most people don't update their map data ever. For my BMW they charged me $200 to upgrade my onboard map data. I had to do it because so many highway on ramp location around LA have been redesigned that I was constantly missing exits. Although speed limits don't change that often I would not trust the data if it was a year or two old. 

I personally wouldn't trust any mapping data of any kind that is not delivered the instant I'm using it OTA.

• Reply 46 of 98
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

They don't need to.  The system doesn't run in the car - it runs on the phone/windows device and overlays the car system using mirror link, a standard protocol.  At least, that is my understanding.

• Reply 47 of 98
    One thing I'd like to see from in-car information systems would be the inclusion of the currently posted legal speed limit for the location being traveled.

Good idea! I would add to that the "safe speed limit" based on road, traffic weather conditions. etc.
  • Reply 48 of 98
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

While I doubt Microsoft has anything of value to offer here...I don't see why car manufacturers would have to choose. Both models are using the existing in-dash system to connect to...so why wouldn't they build in support for both?

I'm sure Google is right around the corner with "Android in the Car" now that they've heard of it, so when that comes too, makers will want to support it.

Sounds like we need a compatible standard communications protocol, not three proprietary systems. I imagine it to be sort of like gasoline. The car doesn't care what brand it is, it just needs to be formulated to a standard. The problem is AirPlay or CarPlay is patented and any similar functionality from the other providers will likely be as well.

• Reply 49 of 98

I don't want to be driving a Car where Microsoft software or hardware is installed.  I have no desire to see the "MS Blue Screen of Death" as I'm driving.   

• Reply 50 of 98
    Quote:

Sounds like we need a compatible standard communications protocol, not three proprietary systems. I imagine it to be sort of like gasoline. The car doesn't care what brand it is, it just needs to be formulated to a standard. The problem is AirPlay or CarPlay is patented and any similar functionality from the other providers will likely be as well.

There already is an industry standard - it's called MirrorLink.  That's what this system is using.  It's in the article :)

• Reply 51 of 98
    I predict this will fail unless it has the Windows desktop UI, keyboard and mouse, and Microsoft Office, Car Edition. I also predict that with all those things, it will still fail. And Microsoft will hang this failure on Satya Nadella, who will have to give the CEO spot up to Steve Ballmer, who returns after his "wilderness months" to lead Microsoft again. I call it "the cycle of fail."
  • Reply 52 of 98
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member

Microsoft you lost the car game when you couldn't improve on your Sync system. Ford gave you plenty of opportunity and you blew it!

I don't think car manufacturers are going to go back to you for a car system anytime soon now.

• Reply 53 of 98
    I don't want to be driving a Car where Microsoft software or hardware is installed.  I have no desire to see the "MS Blue Screen of Death" as I'm driving.   

A more realistic concern should be apps that stop responding, and Windows' inability to kill them (without Task Manager also hanging). Ever see Windows Explorer stop responding? It's ugly. There had better be a cold reboot switch somewhere in the car, so you can regain control when things go awry. It is also critical to know who your "system administrator" is, because Windows error messages constantly tell you bug that guy.
  • Reply 54 of 98
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

You'll get a white one.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/23/tech/mobile/ios7-white-screen-of-death/
  • Reply 55 of 98
    mstone wrote: »
    pmz wrote: »

[CONTENTEMBED=/t/177768/microsoft-shows-off-new-windows-in-the-car-concept-to-take-on-apples-carplay/40#post_2511624 layout=inline]<span style="line-height:1.4em;">While I doubt Microsoft has anything of value to offer here...I don't see why car manufacturers would have to choose. Both models are using the existing in-dash system to connect to...so why wouldn't they build in support for both?</span>
    [/CONTENTEMBED]

I agree with this -- even though I am an AAPL shareholder.

According to what I've read, QNX OS (owned by Blackberry) is the common denominator for imbedded automotive OSes.
  • Reply 56 of 98
    jkichline wrote: »
    Microsoft bringing up the tail with the "me too" implementation. Seriously, Apple announced this what, two years ago? Forstall introduced it. How are these companies so unoriginal?

Well, Microsoft has SYNC already in cars, but that doesn't count for much; that's like saying Microsoft has a phone OS and tablet OS long before the iPhone and iPad. Sync wasn't about "car apps" so much as an embedded Windows CE with no Windows-branded UI elements. This seems to lift elements from CarPlay.
  • Reply 57 of 98
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member

My car already has all the windows it needs.

• Reply 58 of 98
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

A more realistic concern should be apps that stop responding, and Windows' inability to kill them (without Task Manager also hanging). Ever see Windows Explorer stop responding? It's ugly. There had better be a cold reboot switch somewhere in the car, so you can regain control when things go awry. It is also critical to know who your "system administrator" is, because Windows error messages constantly tell you bug that guy.

What you describe could happen to any add on system regardless of OS (Android, iOS, Windows). Apparently, QNX is specifically designed for fail safe operations where it cannot be allowed to abort, reboot, etc -- things such as imbedded automotive, medical, industrial, security implementations.
  • Reply 59 of 98
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

"Windows in the Car" - another double meaning? 

CarPlay is a bit of an unfortunate name, driving is a responible activity, and you shouldn't really call products that go in the car "play."

it's the perfect name, since everything Apple makes is 'just a toy'

• Reply 60 of 98
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marzell View Post

Microsoft couldn't exist if it weren't for Apple.

One could say the same thing about Apple. If they weren't trying to do the personal computer OS better than the existing then they might not be around. Heck the idea of a GUI wasn't even Apple's. They got it from Xerox who didn't know just how valuable the idea was and let Apple roll with it for nothing. And even after the whole lawsuit issue, Apple trying to better Microsoft was a driving force for years. Same with redoing the phone etc. Apple historically has been less about coming up with the idea first over coming up with it best