Review: Amazon's Fire TV makes iterative improvements in set-top streaming

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jb2017 View Post

Simple fix for remote issues, use Apple's "Remote" app for iPhone/iPad. Haven't used my actual Apple TV remote in a looong time.

Except to change the inputs from your TV to your Apple TV.

I still like the physical buttons on the remote better, especially for channel surfing, Guide info and muting or volume adjustments. If the iPhone goes to sleep, you have to enter your password and look at the screen to make any selection. Kind of a hassle (Touch ID would simplify it if you have that). No look, no login is better in my opinion. I personally only used Remote app once to test it when it first came out so I'm just speculating on the awkwardness of the operation. I don't use it.

• Reply 22 of 48
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

This looks OK, other than the glaring omission of HBO GO.  I mean, huh?  Wow.

I'm just waiting for the next AppleTV anyways.  But if that weren't the case, I'd consider this, as I am a Prime member.  

• Reply 23 of 48
    jb2017jb2017 Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I still like the physical buttons on the remote better, especially for channel surfing, Guide info and muting or volume adjustments. If the iPhone goes to sleep, you have to enter your password and look at the screen to make any selection. Kind of a hassle. No look, no login is better in my opinion. I personally only used Remote app once to test it when it first came out so I'm just speculating on the awkwardness of the operation. I don't use it.

Changing your inputs on the TV requires an actual remote. Neither the Apple TV remote and Remote app can change inputs so not sure how that is a problem. If you don't want your iPhone sleeping, there is a setting within the Remote app called "Stay Connected" or you can just turn off your iPhone/iPad sleep option to "never" for the time being. Mine is set on "Never" but each to their own. But since you used the remote app once since it was released, I would try it again.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    Well, I'd rather wait for the new Apple TV spec, Amazon and paid writers comparing to the soon to be outdated spec...plus it's better to stream or order thru one Eco system
  • Reply 25 of 48
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    aaronj wrote: »
    This looks OK, other than the glaring omission of HBO GO.  I mean, huh?  Wow.

I'm just waiting for the next AppleTV anyways.  But if that weren't the case, I'd consider this, as I am a Prime member.  

Getting HBO Go is probably in the works. Apple TV was without it for quite some time.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Getting HBO Go is probably in the works. Apple TV was without it for quite some time.

Yeah, but that's a HUGE missing link for a device that is being released into a market that already has many other available entries.

I mean, it's HBO for crying out loud.  

• Reply 27 of 48
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Yeah, but that's a HUGE missing link for a device that is being released into a market that already has many other available entries.

Who writes the app? HBO does, not Amazon. If there's a delay then it's HBO dragging their feet.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    I consider it a con that it also needs an external brick power supply vs the built-in power supply of the ATV.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    Wonder how responsive it will be after a couple of months of downloading a few games and deleting them to make room for others. My android tablet crawls now compared to when it was purchased. Also why does someone not build a browser into these set top boxes to make them proper smart TVs.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

Wonder how responsive it will be after a couple of months of downloading a few games and deleting them to make room for others. My android tablet crawls now compared to when it was purchased. Also why does someone not build a browser into these set top boxes to make them proper smart TVs.

Cause that would be dumb.

• Reply 31 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Who writes the app? HBO does, not Amazon. If there's a delay then it's HBO dragging their feet.

It's not relevant whose fault it is.  It's still a glaring omission.  

• Reply 32 of 48
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

You do realize that HBO reports a 29% penetration rate of pay TV subscribers, right? So 70% of those who pay for TV do not have it at all?

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/premium-tv-networks-say-npd-study-purporting-to-show-their-decline-is-hogwash-1201066121/

And I bet since HBO is reporting this, I'm sure it includes those who get the "special" 3 months free who are not actually paying for HBO.

So for a large majority, they don't care if it has HBO Go. Myself included.

• Reply 33 of 48
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    I'm trying to figure out what makes this such a big improvement.

oh it has voice control. doesn't work outside of searching Amazon. If you try to use it in something like Netflix you don't get Netflix hits but Amazon ones. So that's basically a fail of an interesting idea.

it's 802.11n despite ac being out so that's no better than everyone else.

it supports 7.1 sound in the hardware but what about the content. Something tells me that most of it is likely still 5.1 so is that a huge deal.

it doesn't need line of sight for the remote. Neither does an Apple TV if you are using a device like an iPhone which many folks are cause the silver remote is a pain in the ass.

it supports Amazon Prime/instant video rather than iTunes. Well that's a parallel issue not an improvement one. Folks highly invested in Amazon aren't likely using iTunes much if at all anyway. And vice versa probably

you can download games to it. Like six games and they either require an iffy experience via the remote or getting a bluetooth controller so that's a wash against using airplay off your device

so what exactly are these "iterative improvements" the headline speaks of
  • Reply 34 of 48
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    The pressure is on Apple.
    If these new Fire TV additions are mocked here as "iterative" then Apple needs something very substantial with their upgrade.
    It's been 3 years since SJ announced he'd cracked the TV.
    Expect a serious stock drop if otherwise.
    We shall see.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    charlituna wrote: »
    I'm trying to figure out what makes this such a big improvement.

oh it has voice control. doesn't work outside of searching Amazon. If you try to use it in something like Netflix you don't get Netflix hits but Amazon ones. So that's basically a fail of an interesting idea.

it's 802.11n despite ac being out so that's no better than everyone else.

it supports 7.1 sound in the hardware but what about the content. Something tells me that most of it is likely still 5.1 so is that a huge deal.

it doesn't need line of sight for the remote. Neither does an Apple TV if you are using a device like an iPhone which many folks are cause the silver remote is a pain in the ass.

it supports Amazon Prime/instant video rather than iTunes. Well that's a parallel issue not an improvement one. Folks highly invested in Amazon aren't likely using iTunes much if at all anyway. And vice versa probably

you can download games to it. Like six games and they either require an iffy experience via the remote or getting a bluetooth controller so that's a wash against using airplay off your device

so what exactly are these "iterative improvements" the headline speaks of

You don't need to buy a $500 phone to get it to work properly so that's a win for Amazon.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    It's not relevant whose fault it is.  It's still a glaring omission.  

Not really when all things are considered. It's just a matter of time.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mrboba1 View Post

You do realize that HBO reports a 29% penetration rate of pay TV subscribers, right? So 70% of those who pay for TV do not have it at all?

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/premium-tv-networks-say-npd-study-purporting-to-show-their-decline-is-hogwash-1201066121/

And I bet since HBO is reporting this, I'm sure it includes those who get the "special" 3 months free who are not actually paying for HBO.

So for a large majority, they don't care if it has HBO Go. Myself included.

I wonder what percentage of people with AppleTV/whatever have HBO.  That's really the number that matters.  If a high percentage of the 70% without HBO also don't have a STB, then that's a fairly irrelevant statistic.

HBO has consistently -- for decades now -- been the most high-level programmer, the most awarded programmer, the most innovative programmer.  And remember, it's not just HBO programming that HBO GO allows you to watch.  There are movies.  There's sports.

It's a pretty huge thing, HBO.

• Reply 38 of 48
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    ireland wrote: »
    Cause that would be dumb.

Why would it be dumb. For £119 I can buy a Tesco Hudl with quad core processor , 16gb memory and HDMI out. I can connect it to a TV and do more than the Amazon Fire TV does and can connect Bluetooth keyboard, mouse and game controller. I could then take it with me wherever I go. Much more useful than Fire TV. I want my TV box to do everything a tablet can do on my TV.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Wall Wart is a deal killer to me. My Apple TVs are hidden behind the TV; many have a little indent that they squeeze into nicely without any tape or other mounting material. I can even still use the remote when I angle the AppleTV just right so the sensor is visible, and bounce the IR off the ceiling. A wall wart means you cannot hide it behind the TV, at least not without an extra cable running exposed.

Surprised Amazon couldn't do any better, given that the Apple TV hasn't really been updated in years.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    wolfmanwolfman Posts: 79member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I still like the physical buttons on the remote better, especially for channel surfing, Guide info and muting or volume adjustments. If the iPhone goes to sleep, you have to enter your password and look at the screen to make any selection. Kind of a hassle (Touch ID would simplify it if you have that). No look, no login is better in my opinion. I personally only used Remote app once to test it when it first came out so I'm just speculating on the awkwardness of the operation. I don't use it.

It's a matter of taste I suppose, but it sounds a bit like what Blackberry users used to say.

I can't use dedicated remotes wether it's IR or BT, I need to be able to control all my equipment and don't want to use several remotes. I now use Roomie Remote; works great and will work even better if the next Apple TV would sport IP control.