Apple sends out WWDC 2014 ticket purchase invitations to randomly selected developers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2014
Apple on Monday sent out emails to developers who participated in this year's WWDC 2014 ticket lottery, notifying those accepted that tickets will be saved until Apr. 14.

As announced last week, Apple held a lottery for developers wanting to attend the company's popular Worldwide Developers Conference in June.

Apple sent out notification of the randomly selected tickets at around 8 p.m. Eastern. Developers who made the cut have exactly one week to complete their ticket purchase as their spot will be held until 8 p.m. Eastern on Apr. 14.

In addition to regular admission tickets, Apple is also granting 200 scholarships to give student coders the chance to participate in this year's event. In addition, this year the National Center for Women & Information Technology and its alliance partners will help promote scholarships to female engineers and coders.

Alongside an expected debut of Apple's next-generation iOS 8 and possibly a sneak peek at OS X 10.10, events scheduled for WWDC 2014 include more than 100 technical sessions presented by Apple engineers, over 100 hands-on labs and events and other sessions for developers.

The usual Apple Design Awards for outstanding iPhone, iPad and Mac apps will also be held, while a new series of "get togethers" will boast special guest speakers and activities.

WWDC 2014 kicks off on June 2 with a State of the Union address at San Francisco's Moscone West. The opening will be streamed live via the WWDC website and select videos and technical sessions will be made available online to registered developers throughout the week.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

I dunno.

To me the answer is to get a bigger venue. If one doesn’t exist, to build a bigger venue and use it for other things off-season. Yes, they’re building the “product intro keynote room” at Infinite Loop 2: This Time It’s Actually An Infinite Loop, but that’s not WWDC.

• Reply 2 of 32
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

No WWDC for this year. Again.

I guess I'm neither fast enough, nor lucky enough now.

• Reply 3 of 32
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I dunno.

To me the answer is to get a bigger venue. If one doesn’t exist, to build a bigger venue and use it for other things off-season. Yes, they’re building the “product intro keynote room” at Infinite Loop 2: This Time It’s Actually An Infinite Loop, but that’s not WWDC.
    Are there enough Apple engineers that can take off for a week to accommodate more attendees?
  • Reply 4 of 32
    inoseyinosey Posts: 89member
    Can't wait to watch it
  • Reply 5 of 32
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Are there enough Apple engineers that can take off for a week to accommodate more attendees?

Perhaps if they stopped using WWDC as a platform for announcing new products and software and instead used it for training and developer enhancements, they could have a dedicated staff to travel throughout the world holding developer conferences much like Adobe does. And also stop calling WWDC because obviously, they have very limited availability for the world. How would you like to be on a development team where only a random member of your team was allowed to attend?

• Reply 6 of 32
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    [SIZE=4]AI Member Roundup…[/SIZE]

So who won the lottery -and- will be attending?
  • Reply 7 of 32
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I dunno.

The theatre being built at Campus 2 can only hold a few hundred people. It is not suitable for a conference keynote nor the breakout sessions, labs, etc. The Campus 2 theatre is geared toward press announcements, etc.

There is no larger venue in the SF Bay Area. If Apple wanted to expand attendance, they would have to lengthen the duration, or move to a different city (like Las Vegas).  That said, I'm not sure those are reasonable alternatives.

Lengthening the event duration would sap engineering resources from the company, and might burn out speakers/presenters. Twice as long might not end up being twice as good.

Apple should not be the one to build a larger conference center than Moscone. Note that Apple can easily afford to host WWDC at a different city (like Vegas), but deliberately chooses not to do so.

There's a good chance that the event (and other developer conferences) does not scale beyond a certain size. You still need 1-on-1 labs, smaller classes/sessions, and need to keep your speakers fresh, focused, and productive. Google, Salesforce, and Oracle all use the same venue for their respective developer conferences.

• Reply 8 of 32
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Perhaps if they stopped using WWDC as a platform for announcing new products and software and instead used it for training and developer enhancements, they could have a dedicated staff to travel throughout the world holding developer conferences much like Adobe does. And also stop calling WWDC because obviously, they have very limited availability for the world. How would you like to be on a development team where only a random member of your team was allowed to attend?

This! I can maybe see them showing off iOS and OS X, but releasing other things just doesn't seem like the right place. I thought this was why they stopped doing MacWorlds? It also puts an expectation on Apple to release something. 

I don't think simply building a larger venue is something Apple wants to do. I would think thats part of Apple Campus 2. 

I also don't think a larger venue would be as good for developers to attend. There would be more attendees than Apple can support so there would be developers who wouldn't get the attention they may want and its not as simple as just add more Apple Engineers. 

• Reply 9 of 32
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Yeah, my understanding (I'm not a developer) is that there is a limit on how big it can be before it ceases to really be functional.  I think most of us remember the difference between those huge 250+ student survey classes and the intimate, tiny little advanced classes, for example (though I did have a GREAT Art History 101 class, and there must have been 300 people there).

As far as Vegas is concerned, you definitely have one major advantage: Moar Hookers! ;)

• Reply 10 of 32
    rogifan wrote: »

If not, Apple needs to go on a hiring spree.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Wondering just how random this was.

• Reply 12 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

If not, Apple needs to go on a hiring spree.

Yes, because having a bunch of people is always better.  Sheesh.

Apple is not a large company, outside of retail.  

• Reply 13 of 32
    aaronj wrote: »
    Yes, because having a bunch of people is always better.  Sheesh.

/s

Sheesh.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

/s

Sheesh.

Sorry, it's been a long day. :)

• Reply 15 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Wondering just how random this was.

My guess is that it will be like the Shuffle mode in iPod. No one will get picked twice and developers with a higher star rating are given more preference.

• Reply 16 of 32
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    mstone wrote: »
    I thought Apple was doing tech talks in different cites around the world? https://developer.apple.com/tech-talks/

Last year they had video of sessions from WWDC posted online (sometimes same day I think) and this year they're streaming the 'state of the union' speech live.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I thought Apple was doing tech talks in different cites around the world? https://developer.apple.com/tech-talks/

Last year they had video of sessions from WWDC posted online (sometimes same day I think) and this year they're streaming the 'state of the union' speech live.

Those Tech Talks aren't nearly as in-depth as their WWDC sessions, but as you note they have those sessions online so quickly that it's not really a huge loss if you can't be one of the lucky 5500.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

The important part of WWDC is having access to Apple's engineers. They've been incredible useful in the past when it's come to a particular sticking point for our dev team. The sessions are nice but not the reason why I want to attend.

Sadly, I'm a contractor. I'm the last person in the team who'll be sent. :)

• Reply 19 of 32
    ivahanivahan Posts: 2member
    I am an iOS developer from Armenia, and I HAVE BEEN SELECTED to buy a ticket to WWDC (to my big surprise).
    Saving money now)))
  • Reply 20 of 32
    ivahanivahan Posts: 2member

I am an iDeveloper from Armenia, and I have been selected by Apple (to my big surprise).

Saving money now :)