Apple reportedly plans high-res 5.5" iPhone 6, all new 4.7" model for later this year

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    bradipaobradipao Posts: 145member
    The 5.5" does not sound right.

I agree, mainly because of the display resolution fragmentation.
  • Reply 42 of 76
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    asdasd wrote: »
    Blame the people you elect -- not Apple -- for that doozy.

As a shareholder, I don't want them to lower to their price one euro-cent so that EU politicians can get their grubby hands on taxes from Apple sales.

Good argument if delinquent on facts.

1) the VAT rate is national not EU
    2) the higher the original price the higher the tax.
    3) in the absence of VAT the cost is 568 which is high.

Not that VAT isn't ridiculously high.but facts matter.

Tell that to Hungary! (27%)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_added_tax#Tax_rates

Oh, Wiki; nevermind¡

Thank you.
  • Reply 43 of 76
    asdasd wrote: »
    Blame the people you elect -- not Apple -- for that doozy.

As a shareholder, I don't want them to lower to their price one euro-cent so that EU politicians can get their grubby hands on taxes from Apple sales.

Good argument if delinquent on facts.

1) the VAT rate is national not EU
    2) the higher the original price the higher the tax.
    3) in the absence of VAT the cost is 568 which is high.

Not that VAT isn't ridiculously high.but facts matter.

For fact-delinquency, look in the mirror. ;-)

You forgot:
    1) Exchange rate uncertainty.
    2) Higher warehousing/distribution/retailing costs (cost of labor is much higher in the EU compared to the US, whether for FedEx truck drivers or retail employees, as is cost of fuel).
    3) End-of-life laws in the EU that require consumer electronics manufacturers to build in the cost of disposal and recycling.
    4) Competitor pricing strategies -- e.g., what is the relative price of an S4 in Ireland v. the US?
  • Reply 44 of 76
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You forgot:

2) Higher warehousing/distribution/retailing costs (cost of labor is much higher in the EU compared to the US, whether for FedEx truck drivers or retail employees, as is cost of fuel).

3) End-of-life laws in the EU that require consumer electronics manufacturers to build in the cost of disposal and recycling.

4) Competitor pricing strategies -- e.g., what is the relative price of an S4 in Ireland v. the US?

All valid points ( except possibly labor costs, it depends on the country) but not related to your original points, or my rebuttal. 

Lets all agree that VAT sucks.

• Reply 45 of 76
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

-sigh-

I guess it is a sign of the times we're living in.

I just hope that Apple updates the 3.5" iPhone as well. It is the perfect size for an on the go device.

• Reply 46 of 76
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    The Wacom tablets with built-in screens can accept capacitive touch from both their included styluses and your fingers?

Yes. Seems like Samsung has been using that tech since 2011.

http://blog.gsmarena.com/samsung-galaxy-note-uses-a-wacom-digitizer-for-precision-stylus-tracking/
  • Reply 47 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You forgot:

All valid points ( except possibly labor costs, it depends on the country) but not related to your original points, or my rebuttal. 

Lets all agree that VAT sucks.

Actually, (2) and (3) -- and thus, indirectly, (4) -- are very related to my original point, which was more broadly about the cost of regulation/taxes/mandates on consumer goods in the EU compared to the US.

• Reply 48 of 76
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    rumormill wrote: »
    ...s but one has to ask why has it taken so long to release a bigger screen phone. It is obvious that samsung is waiting to copy Apple's next product, but Apple can not let their next thing be the iPhone 6.

You're confusing capability with choice. Apple chooses not to create a large phone at this time.
    mr o wrote: »
    -sigh-

I guess it is a sign of the times we're living in.

I just hope that Apple updates the 3.5" iPhone as well. It is the perfect size for an on the go device.

Sorry, but Apple won't keep the 3.5" after the 4S is EOL.
  • Reply 49 of 76
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Hmm. The demos I’m seeing aren’t showing or acknowledging that. It seems like if it was the case that it wouldn’t be wholly capacitive in nature, since traditional Wacom tech only accepts input from their styluses.

• Reply 50 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hmm. The demos I’m seeing aren’t showing or acknowledging that. It seems like if it was the case that it wouldn’t be wholly capacitive in nature, since traditional Wacom tech only accepts input from their styluses.

I can verify it on the Note 3.  As long as the stylus is close enough to be registered by the screen (hovering slightly more than a centimeter above the display) the screen won't respond to my finger.

• Reply 51 of 76
    mykemmykem Posts: 33member
    The two different pixel resolutions, with one being standard and the other isn't, doesn't make sense at all Plus the fact that Apple has never used a standard HD resolution for any of its iDevices (not even on its Macbook/iMac except for the 21.5" iMac). Plus the fact that this would bring screen fragmentation to 4 different supported resolutions just for the iPhone including the current 960*640 (iPhone 4S) and 1136*640 (4" iPhone). Worst than Android.
  • Reply 52 of 76
    Those specs are strangely specific, but I have real trouble seeing Apple sticking with such a low resolution for the 4.7". Doesn't make any sense. Article says "to maintain scalability with existing apps." - well what about the 'scalability' for the 5.5 version? You think they're going to release two new phones with different resolutions to 'help' developers? If they're going 1920x1080 on the 5.5, they will absolutely go 1920x1080 on the 4.7 as well. Over a year ago HTC had a 16:9, 4.7" screen with 1920x1080 - and this rumor says Apple won't match that for the next presumably 2 generations of iPhones? No way. The tech is there. They'll have the same resolutions, same phone, two sizes.
  • Reply 53 of 76
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

The screen can act as wholly capacitive, but then becomes resistive acting with the Wacom stylus.
  • Reply 54 of 76
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

The screen can act as wholly capacitive, but then becomes resistive acting with the Wacom stylus.

AH, see, there. Thanks for the clarification. Apple’s solution is wholly capacitive. It’ll be interesting to see someone else show a demo of capacitance differences to compare (because Apple wouldn’t demo it, they’d release it).

• Reply 55 of 76
    Quote:

I don't think the screen becomes resistive.  The tip of the stylus is pressure-sensitive and transmits data of the intensity of the pressure to the digitizer.

• Reply 56 of 76
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I usually believe what Kuo tells us, but not so much this time. As others have said here a 5.5 inch iPhone doesn't make much sense. If there is something to this then maybe that 5.5 inch display will be heading for a next-gen iPod Touch with the same resolution as the 4.7 inch iPhone. But that seems quite unlikely to happen too...we'll see?
  • Reply 57 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ApplePieGuy View Post

Hopefully Apple will keep a normal sized phone around for people who can't carry around a monstrous 5+" iPhone. I don't wear baggy prison pants so it would be a real pain to try and carry around a phone bigger than the current iPhone in my pocket, and don't even mention the back pocket as an alternative. One would have to take it out to sit. I simply don't like to carry my phone around in my hands all day like the people with these gigantic phones do. Although I do find it amusing to watch these few people who have them struggle not only with using them for a call, but with where to keep their huge phones. Recently I seen a guy at work that was walking around with his note sized phone at his ear, and needing two hands to keep it there, what a riot!! I guess I shouldn't complain, if there was enough of these instances I could cancel cable as I wouldn't need any more entertainment in my day. Having said that I am sure there is a market for them, and Apple will sell more than anyone else could ever dream of selling. 

Not to derail but, speaking of the market for these huge phones, I seen an ad today that the new samsung galaxys5 is already BOGO. How the hell is that even possible? I thought samsung and android was the be all - end all for mobile devices. Would it be a desperate attempt to bolster anticipated poor sales of their fagship product? When you think about it, it really is the only way that they can compete on sales volume with Apple's incomparable products. 

I wear Diesel straight leg jeans and I can fit almost any phone in my pocket and have it feel comfy.  I have a Lumia 920, and it is not thin at all.  A larger iPhone will be fine in your pocket.

• Reply 58 of 76
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ApplePieGuy View Post

Not to derail but, speaking of the market for these huge phones, I seen an ad today that the new samsung galaxys5 is already BOGO. How the hell is that even possible? I thought samsung and android was the be all - end all for mobile devices. Would it be a desperate attempt to bolster anticipated poor sales of their fagship product? When you think about it, it really is the only way that they can compete on sales volume with Apple's incomparable products. 

Are you sure it's Samsung offering the BOGO deal or is it a carrier deal to try to lure customers to one carrier over another?

• Reply 59 of 76
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

One thing that has been holding back Apple is the lack of resolution independence in iOS. They are getting there but right now everything (apps) assumes certain things about the size and lays out their UI on a pixel basis based on that assumption. Auto layout and other similar features allow you to start down that path and auto layout was first in iOS 6 but was a first pass that was not that easy to use. In iOS 7 it got a lot better. I expect we'll see a lot of screen resolution independence stuff at WWDC this year.

“Resolution independence” is a term that has been used to describe a lot of things.

On iOS, auto-layout could be currently described as resolution independence, on a strict sense, because it only deals with changes in resolutions, but assumes the same PPI.

What is not in iOS right now is “PPI independence”. The 2x retina trick is confined to work on a screen which has exactly double the resolution and PPI.

While auto-layout enables the reflow of the UI structure on different resolution, iOS doesn’t include any way to fractionally scale UI elements themselves like buttons and touch targets to compensate for a non-integer change to the PPI over or under 326PPI.

Going over or under 326 PPI means that iOS apps would show either uselessly big or too small buttons and other standard UI elements.

Note that the 9.7” iPad does have a different PPI, but it’s only slightly lower at 265, which makes the UI only slightly larger.  At least it’s not smaller (which would happen if it had more than 326 PPI), which means that the UI would’ve been too small to use at 400PPI for example.

Android has had auto-layout facilities for a long time because of how it has to deal with multiple resolutions, and the whole interface is scaled to compensate for the different PPI. 

Because of that, the Android interface is a little blurry because of all the anti-aliasing from virtual pixels not being aligned with real screen pixels. That’s why ultra high resolution screens are useful on Android, as they hide the anti-aliasing artifacts.

Apple has been pretty adamant at keeping iOS “pixel perfect” since its beginning. Maybe they will change course with iOS 8, but I think it would be much easier for devs if they all kept the new devices at 326PPI (but with different resolutions to make bigger screens) so that devs would simply have to let the layout reflow using auto-layout without having to worry about a change in touch target and UI size.

• Reply 60 of 76
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    droidftw wrote: »
    Are you sure it's Samsung offering the BOGO deal or is it a carrier deal to try to lure customers to one carrier over another?

It's Sammy. They didn't spend $14 billion on just commercials and ads.