Wells Fargo defends 'market perform' rating on Apple stock, says company is in midst of transition

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

Really?  They think somebody is going to make a lot of money selling internet-connected washer/driers?

• Reply 22 of 39
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member

This is the same Wells Fargo that received $25bn in taxpayer money via TARP. When Apple is taking taxpayer money to stay afloat, Wells Fargo can comment. Until then...

• Reply 23 of 39
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    zoolook wrote: »
    This is the same Wells Fargo that received $25bn in taxpayer money via TARP. When Apple is taking taxpayer money to stay afloat, Wells Fargo can comment. Until then...

They didn't need it.
  • Reply 24 of 39

Well that does it.  I am closing my Wells Fargo accounts and refinancing my mortgage with someone else!

/s

• Reply 25 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

They didn't need it.

No, neither did half a dozen other banks who took it (including the one I work for). But they benefited from the additional liquidity.

• Reply 26 of 39
    No, neither did half a dozen other banks who took it (including the one I work for). But they benefited from the additional liquidity.

My understanding is that is was forced on them. Btw who wouldn't benefit from additional liquidity? :)
  • Reply 27 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

My understanding is that is was forced on them. Btw who wouldn't benefit from additional liquidity? image

The banks agreed to take it mutually, to avoid any being targeted for a run or short-selling - but when you look at when banks actually paid it back, you'll get a sense of who really needed it even if they didn't think so at the time. Personally I think of all them 'needed' it to avoid a liquidity freeze in the system, which is why it was offered in the first place. Many people (including my colleagues) might disagree.

My first comment was tongue-in-cheek anyway... it just seems rich some of these finance companies passing judgement on tech companies, which are often far better run as financial institutions.

• Reply 29 of 39
    My first comment was tongue-in-cheek anyway... it just seems rich some of these finance companies passing judgement on tech companies, which are often far better run as financial institutions.

In that case I'm in total agreement. ;)
  • Reply 30 of 39
    512ke wrote: »
    Really?  They think somebody is going to make a lot of money selling internet-connected washer/driers?

All the phases are just things we already have with a wifi antenna stuck on them.

I felt this report showed a lack of imagination.  I predict Wells Fargo will be backpedaling frantically as Apple knocks it out of the park not in Phase Five, but over the course of 2014.

Analysts are better at hindsight than foresight. Maybe they should stick to that and stare at their own asses all day.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Mythical strep five to be the hurdle?
    Lol

Apple is akready ahead if competition in most of the issues he brough up.. Ahead by a wide margin
  • Reply 32 of 39
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Um...
  • Reply 33 of 39
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

I thought it was:

Phase 4:   ???

• Reply 34 of 39
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jbcaro View Post

Don't forget the connected toilet. If you forgot to flush you can do it from the other room.

Bill Gates is hard at work on the toilet issue... He knows his "shit" and that's a fact!

• Reply 36 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Analysts are better at hindsight than foresight. Maybe they should stick to that and stare at their own asses all day.

Wells Fargo and JP Morgan have recently been handed their asses for not being able to perform up to their own projections of their own businesses. It takes some balls to go out and talk smack about other companies.

• Reply 37 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It has rounded corners. Could it be the fabled Apple TV?

Too much bezel and not enough cow bell...

• Reply 38 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Um's main point shouldn't go unchallenged. He's suggesting that Apple sell out its users to third parties (excuse me, "provide access") as part of its next critical growth stage. In other words, be like Google.

Dammit, Um, it's about ethics. Can you try to remember that?

Ethics and Banking parted ways several decades ago. I know it sounds like he's saying Apple should be like Google, but he's really suggesting Apple should sell it's customer's date like a bank does...

• Reply 39 of 39
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

They make these phony predictions to influence the direction of the stock. There is no penalty attached to such bloviation.

I was going to link a wall street journal article showing where they (Wells Fargo) have been sued over misconduct, but it's behind a pay wall. You can find it via google if you're interested.