SV150: Apple, Inc. earns more than HP, Google, Intel & Cisco combined

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    fjose1929 wrote: »
    Just look at the quarterly report. I will make it easier on you, go to google finance, select aapl and goog. Select each one and go to financials. See the last quarter:
    Name, Income before tax, income after tax:

Goog 4,047.00, 3,381.00 tax rate: 16.4%
    Aapl. 17,709.00, 13,072.00 tax rate; 26.2%

Tell me were i am wrong. Compare to msft

Msft 7,878.00 6,558.00 tax rate: 16.75%

Yet apple is vilified. Every news about tax avoidance is about apple. Again, tell me were aim wrong.

Wow! Apple's tax is more than all of Google's income.
  • Reply 42 of 50
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    fjose1929 wrote: »
    Just look at the quarterly report. I will make it easier on you, go to google finance, select aapl and goog. Select each one and go to financials. See the last quarter:
    Name, Income before tax, income after tax:

Goog 4,047.00, 3,381.00 tax rate: 16.4%
    Aapl. 17,709.00, 13,072.00 tax rate; 26.2%

Tell me were i am wrong. Compare to msft

Msft 7,878.00 6,558.00 tax rate: 16.75%

Yet apple is vilified. Every news about tax avoidance is about apple. Again, tell me were aim wrong.

They paid 26% or just acknowledged the possible tax obligation? As I recall taxes serve as the justification for leaving (moving?) the bulk of their profits overseas to various tax havens just to avoid them. And no Google doesn't operate any differently AFAIK, nor probably MSFT.
  • Reply 43 of 50
    Again, the fact is they are paying 26 percent, while goog and MSFT are paying 16 percent. Look up the annual report. Are you telling me they did not remit the taxes? Corporations/businesses do remit on a quarterly basis. Even then, the annual report will show taxes that have been paid.

Regardless, apple is paying 26 percent, while the rest are paying 16 percent. The maximum tax rate is around 33 percent. Yet apple is vilified. Again, do you or do you not believe a report filed to the sec?
  • Reply 44 of 50
    gatorguy wrote: »
    They paid 26% or just acknowledged the possible tax obligation? As I recall taxes serve as the justification for leaving (moving?) the bulk of their profits overseas to various tax havens just to avoid them. And no Google doesn't operate any differently AFAIK, nor probably MSFT.

They paid taxes in their appropriate countries based on those country's laws but bringing back to the US will be an additional levy which is why they aren't bringing it back. Since Apple makes more from the US market than any other there is likely no need to move it back to The States.
  • Reply 45 of 50
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

They paid taxes in their appropriate countries based on those country's laws but bringing back to the US will be an additional levy which is why they aren't bringing it back. Since Apple makes more from the US market than any other there is likely no need to move it back to The States.

It's likely that it's more complex than that. They may have cost sharing arrangements set up between US and overseas subsidiaries. Apart from that they do claim credits on anything paid in other countries assuming that they filed for refunds where applicable. If they didn't, the expense could be disallowed, unless that changed in the last couple years without my ever becoming aware of it.

• Reply 46 of 50
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) That title doesn't do this fact justice. I'd think something like: "Apple earns more profit than next four companies combined" would be more powerful. I also don't see a reason to use Incorporated in the title.

2) Interesting that Google has a higher profit margin than Apple and that MS doesn't make the top 11.

edit: I see now this only for Silicon Valley.
    That was close on Friday. Everything I monitor was down that day, and most were down more than the 0.74% that AAPL was down.

1 Good point.
    2 I'd be surprised if Google's profit margins were lower. They've done very little hardware. I would expect their margins to decrease.
  • Reply 47 of 50
    Even in their time there was so much stimuli compared to the generations that preceded them. There has to be that something special in the individual to make them focus on a single concept so intently. One could describe it as an unhealthy obsession (but like genius v insanity, one's level of success probably determines if it'll be considered healthy or unhealthy). Fraunhofer lines are a great example of this.

Neil deGrasse Tyson mentioned Joseph Fraunhofer on last week's Cosmos episode. For those that don't know, those lines that Fraunhofer hated seeing in his lenses are what we now use to accurately determine the chemical makeup of the heavens.

I hate the word obsession. It's a vulgar word with negative connotations and constantly used. That said, I agree.
  • Reply 48 of 50
    I hate the word obsession. It's a vulgar word with negative connotations and constantly used. That said, I agree.

How about passion?
  • Reply 49 of 50
    That's your nostalgia filter at work. Its also a blank generalization.  Are you part of the general public that only knows names thru cultural osmosis? There has been a great many geniuses over the last 100 to 150 years. 

Of course, but he was referring to composing. And I agree with him.
  • Reply 50 of 50
    How about passion?

That's a great word! And what I would have suggested if you had asked me.