Rumor: Photos of iPhone 6 manufacturing molds, schematics leak online

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    I don't think it's the same resolution. If you believe that the inset rectangular area shown in the drawing is the screen, then it would appear to have a 2:1 aspect ratio instead of the current 16:9 aspect. One possibility is that've added more pixels so it's a 1280x640 display. That's 2:1.

Apple has only made one change in the iPhone's aspect ratio... getting it to the widely accepted and fairly normal 16:9

I seriously doubt Apple will change the aspect ratio again... but stranger things have happened.
  • Reply 42 of 58
    peteraltpeteralt Posts: 155member
    If this is real, look at all the sensors on the top and bottom of the screen! The thing is loaded with unidentified sensors! At least one is a camera, at least two are microphones, one is the proximity sensor, and other is the ambiant light sensor. That leaves the rest as unidentified new sensor features! Odds are they related to the Prime Sense acquisition. Also, I read a rumor that it may have humidity, temperature, and barometer sensors. If they are new Prime Sense sensors, they could be dual IR cameras and/or dual visual sensor, and an IR emitter for it to have 3D vision for gesture recognition.

No matter what they could be for, the idea of new sensor features is very exciting!
  • Reply 43 of 58
    Does anyone have any info on the practicality of fitting an upgraded camera system in possibly thinner yet larger body, as we relentlessly march in that direction? If satisfying a small vocal majority means that the continued improvements in iPhone photography stall due to ever thinner (yet wider) phones it will be a bloody shame. IPhones as cameras are fantastically popular.
  • Reply 44 of 58

Maybe it's the iPhone Air.

• Reply 45 of 58
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesmcd View Post

In all fairness, my recently acquired Galaxy S5 (which is slightly taller and wider than my S4) is perfectly usable in one hand. Nevertheless, I often find myself holding it with one and using the other to touch due to habit... NB I also do this with my iPhone. There seems to be a bit of hysteria about the 'one hand use' thing in the iPhone community. It's almost as if it's rare to be born with two hands :P

It's easy to unlock my 5s using the fingerprint scanner one handed such as when eating a sandwich or driving a car, let's see you do that on your S5.

• Reply 46 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

It's easy to unlock my 5s using the fingerprint scanner one handed such as when eating a sandwich or driving a car, let's see you do that on your S5.

It's easy enough, granted it's easier on my 5s though. I've programmed in my thumbs and index fingers so I can just swipe my thumb down to unlock it one-handed. Not an issue. 

**edit: and you're not supposed to be using it in your car anyway ;) For situations like that I use my Gear 2. Very handy. 

• Reply 47 of 58
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    potatoman wrote: »
    The current iPhone does not use any manufacturing molds, does it? I could be completely wrong... but could this be for the manufacturing of a liquid metal body?

I was thinking LQMT too.
  • Reply 48 of 58
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jamesmcd wrote: »
    In all fairness, my recently acquired Galaxy S5 (which is slightly taller and wider than my S4) is perfectly usable in one hand. Nevertheless, I often find myself holding it with one and using the other to touch due to habit... NB I also do this with my iPhone. There seems to be a bit of hysteria about the 'one hand use' thing in the iPhone community. It's almost as if it's rare to be born with two hands :P

Why aren't pens made to be used by two hands at once? You have two hands, right, so they could be bigger? The simply answer is they don't need to be and you can perform other tasks with your free hand.

I don't think it's the same resolution. If you believe that the inset rectangular area shown in the drawing is the screen, then it would appear to have a 2:1 aspect ratio instead of the current 16:9 aspect. One possibility is that've added more pixels so it's a 1280x640 display. That's 2:1.

It'll be interesting if they don't use 16:9 as that adds an additional wrench to the mix of changes needed to be performed. I'm guessing 16:9 is the one thing they will keep.
  • Reply 49 of 58
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I hope the rumors of a more expensive phone aren't true. One analyst claims Apple is trying to get a $100 increase from the carriers, the thought being that they'd pass $50 of that on to the consumer. For me there would have to be something more than just a bigger screen to pay $50 or $100 more for the next iPhone.

http://us.rd.yahoo.com/finance/external/tsmfe/SIG=12u8s4qcu/*http://www.thestreet.com/story/12668093/1/why-the-iphone-6-may-cost-more-than-you-think.html?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO
  • Reply 50 of 58
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slicksim View Post

Does anyone have any info on the practicality of fitting an upgraded camera system in possibly thinner yet larger body, as we relentlessly march in that direction? If satisfying a small vocal majority means that the continued improvements in iPhone photography stall due to ever thinner (yet wider) phones it will be a bloody shame. IPhones as cameras are fantastically popular.

There are few more things that Apple could improve even with the thinner package. So not to worry.

• Reply 51 of 58
    solipsismx wrote: »
    It'll be interesting if they don't use 16:9 as that adds an additional wrench to the mix of changes needed to be performed. I'm guessing 16:9 is the one thing they will keep.

If the "screen" in the schematic drawing is indeed 53.7mm wide, and we assume that maybe the cutout for the screen is larger than the screen itself, then how long would a 16:9 screen be? Answer: 95.5mm. That would yield a 109.6mm diagonal screen, or 4.3" screen.

A 16:9 screen would be too short for the molding.
  • Reply 52 of 58
    The entire mold looks to be 24" x 16".
  • Reply 53 of 58
    mazda 3s wrote: »
    Alright, Satan.

It's just a phone.

There's nothing just about injustice.
  • Reply 54 of 58
    People steal music from billion dollar companies. People steal software from billion dollar companies. People steal billions in tax fraud from countries. Should we seriously iGuillotine these people just because the people they are stealing from are those who have more money? If we have a staggered punishment system based on money, should they just get a slap on the hand when they steal from the mom and pop store down the road? A harsh word when they steal a sandwich from little Jimmy? But steal from somebody worth billions of dollars and you must DIE!!!!
    Punish?...yes.....Kill? Are you from Elysium?

Neither death nor a slap on the hand are suitable punishments for theft. A punishment to fit the crime might be appropriate. In Saudi Arabia, I believe they cut off your hands if you steal. Some might consider that a bit much.
  • Reply 55 of 58
    slurpy wrote: »
    Any rational and reasonable response I could possibly have to that statement would get me banned. 

You did very well!

I presumed he was being mischievous.
  • Reply 56 of 58
    chefboychefboy Posts: 10member

Glad to see some bezel. That makes it a little easier for the case makers.

• Reply 57 of 58
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    chefboy wrote: »
    Glad to see some bezel. That makes it a little easier for the case makers.

That's a good point. As much as I want the display to get close to the edge it could usability with a case as well as the effectiveness of the case if it needs to reduce some of the edge coverage to allow for proper usability.