Realism: Apple had a lousy quarter.

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    [quote]Originally posted by sizzle chest:

<strong>

The guy said ONE OF the only computer makers making money, not THE ONLY.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks...that is indeed what I said. And whoever made the point about Dell losing money on workstations....I believe that is correct too. It is obvious that Dell's goal is to push others out of the market by dedicating its substantial reserves towards a price war...which it is well equiped to fight...Apple isn't. Pretty soon, we will have Dell, HP-Comaq and Apple and perhaps Sony.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    [quote]Originally posted by blabla:

<strong>

Well, news for you machead: Compaq and Dell is making money..

<a href="http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20020118/tc/tech_dell_outlook_dc_2.html"; target="_blank">http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20020118/tc/tech_dell_outlook_d c_2.html</a>

<a href="http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nf/20020117/tc/15839_1.html"; target="_blank">http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nf/20020117/tc/15839_1.html</a></strong><hr></blockquote>;

Also, I AM a machead. But, I am not an Apple Apologist. They still need to get the pro line in order and improve advertising IMHO.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    You must really be Spindler. A whacked out perception of the truth.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    Apple stores themselves will not double Apple's market share over-night but the products themselves will. Most people do not have an unbreakable attachment to a computer brand or company. The best product wins, and best means quality price performance ratio. Apple has the BEST products right now for consumers which is the majority of the market that Apple does not have. I would say that even the PowerBook is the best notebook on the market right now. Still waiting for that Powermac though...
  • Reply 25 of 35
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:

<strong>Apple stores themselves will not double Apple's market share over-night but the products themselves will. Most people do not have an unbreakable attachment to a computer brand or company. The best product wins, and best means quality price performance ratio. Apple has the BEST products right now for consumers which is the majority of the market that Apple does not have. I would say that even the PowerBook is the best notebook on the market right now. Still waiting for that Powermac though... </strong><hr></blockquote>

Powerbook IS the best allaround laptop IMO but there are definitely better options out there for people

1.) it needs to be cheaper

2.) if not cheaper apple needs to up the specs

3.) it needs to be faster

4.) it needs better specs.

Powerbook G4 should be like this

667, 800

256, 512

30GB, 48GB

Radeon 7500 mobility

Combo Drive

Increased resolution to at least the same DPI as iBook

$2199, $2999

Powerbook is great but unfortunately its design doesn't allow it to implement new features as fast as options from Dell, and COmpaq, etc.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    [quote]Originally posted by sizzle chest:

<strong>

Seb, I think you're mixing up statistics. The Apple stores had 800,000 customers, but not all of them bought Macs.

Of the people who did buy Macs, 40% were first time Mac buyers.

So there's an 800,000 in there somewhere, and there's a 40% in there somewhere, but the 40% is not 40% of 800,000.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oops. Right you are.

Well, if I'm not mixing up my metaphors, I'm mixing up my statistics. I think I'll stink to mixing up my metaphors. I'm better at it.

Anyhow, I still don't think Apple will lose $1 million a year per store, and I believe that we'll see more than 2000 people buying their first Macs (not necessarliy per store but who knows).

I think the stores are a great idea. Just a gut feeling I guess. Time will tell.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    i think apple stores will help....because people really don't care about 1 GHz vs 2 GHz when they actually try a machine and it flys through all applications...people want a fast machine to do what they need it to do...if a machine does that at 700 MHz they are fine with 700 MHz....sure pc tech heads will continue to have "mine is bigger than yours", but i think that the average/common consumer likes a "fast" machine, whatever that means....the new iMac will be a "fast" machine and people that try it will like it and want one....bring on more apple stores.....g

i would love an apple store in the Cottonwood Mall here in Albuquerque...this mall is like 1 mile from a huge Intel fab plant...it would be fun if apple had the testes to put a store there (it would probably sell lots of machines...and intel would gripe about it...like when Intel gave money for a local high school to be built and then was pissed that they wanted to put apples in the school...not sure if apples or pcs finally got put in, should try and find out)
  • Reply 28 of 35
    nonsuchnonsuch Posts: 293member

<strong>Apple stores themselves will not double Apple's market share over-night but the products themselves will. Most people do not have an unbreakable attachment to a computer brand or company.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think you're right, and I wonder if we won't soon see the effects of the increasing "cookie-cutter-ization" of the PC box makers. If someone buys a Compaq and has trouble with it, they might try for a Dell next time .... or they might conclude that all Windows PCs are pretty much the same and consider an Apple. With Apple making themselves more visible in CompUSA and their own stores, that decision will become easier to make.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Thank you, spindler, I guess I should stop buying Macs now. But how much of that was, how to say, logic, and how much was, how shall we say, editorial? You're being much too emotional. Apple did NOt have a great quarter. It wasn't terrible, it wasn't something to rub in others' faces.
  • Reply 30 of 35

<strong> Most people do not have an unbreakable attachment to a computer brand or company. The best product wins, and best means quality price performance ratio. Apple has the BEST products right now for consumers which is the majority of the market that Apple does not have. </strong><hr></blockquote>

People DO have an unbreakable attachment to a computer brand: Windows.

The quality price performance ration is definitely NOT in Apple's favor, nor has it ever really been. Hence 2.5% market share.

As long as MS flight simulator, Quake 9, Internet Explorer, and Office come out first and best for Windows, people will buy Windows. Period.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Wether Applestores turn a profit up to a point is really moot. People go into the stores to look at the products, some buy from there. What really matters is whether they then go on and buy a Mac. Whether they buy it at the store, Apple-online store or from another mac retailer is irrelavent. Applestores only fail if a shopper then goes on to buy a PC
  • Reply 32 of 35
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    [quote]Originally posted by ricain:

<strong>

As long as MS flight simulator, Quake 9, Internet Explorer, and Office come out first and best for Windows, people will buy Windows. Period.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Two down. Two to go.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    [quote]Originally posted by ricain:

<strong>

People DO have an unbreakable attachment to a computer brand: Windows.

The quality price performance ration is definitely NOT in Apple's favor, nor has it ever really been. Hence 2.5% market share.

As long as MS flight simulator, Quake 9, Internet Explorer, and Office come out first and best for Windows, people will buy Windows. Period.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Apple's total market share is greater than 2.5%. That low number is an exageration. A big one. And, if you look at Education, they are like 50%. Graphics Pros? Audio Buffs? They are in much better shape there. Almost every school I have ever seen has at least some Macs, and many have entire Mac labs...some are even ALL Mac.

Now, if Apple would just pull its head out of its ass with the PM we would be fine.

IE is much better on the Mac than it is on the PC. I hear office is better too.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    [quote]Apple's total market share is greater than 2.5%<hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=48409524&m=7760963153&r=28 30985253#2830985253" target="_blank">Wrong.</a>

[quote]

As expected, total PC sales fell in 2001 for only the second year on record. Dataquest, San Jose, Calif., put the world-wide drop at 4.6% to 128.1 million units, with U.S. sales declining 11.1% to 43.9 million.<hr></blockquote>

[quote]Apple sold 3.174 million Macs in 2001, for a 2.5% market share.

In the last quarter, Apple sold 746,000 Macs, for a market share of 2.2%. Not a good trend!<hr></blockquote>

This can be chalked up to the absolute shit price/performance ratio of Apple's desktop computers. Their laptops are much nicer but are not enough.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    neomacneomac Posts: 145member
    [quote]Originally posted by spindler:

<strong>Following Macs for a while, you start to see that Apple fans are eternal optimists. It's always wait 'til next quarter or the next product comes out. After a while I gave up my optimism for realism. So I'm going to tell you how Apple is REALLY doing. I am also going to post a thread What Apple Must Do To Grow. I am not trolling. To grow Apple must be daring and take on Windows head on.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Stander-by: "Are you a economist / business-guru?"

Spindler: "No, but I did stay in a HolidayInn Express last night ..."

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: NeoMac ]</p>