David Fincher pulls out of talks to direct Steve Jobs biopic

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2014
According to a report on Monday, director David Fincher will not reteam with screenwriter Aaron Sorkin for Sony's upcoming big-budget Steve Jobs biopic. The duo, along with producer Scott Rudin, worked together on the Academy Award winning film "The Social Network," which focused on Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook.

Steve Jobs

Citing sources close to the matter, The Hollywood Reporter said on Monday Fincher backed out of talks after his demands of $10 million in up front compensation and control over marketing were supposedly rebuffed. Reports from as early as February claimed Fincher was in discussions with studio heads over the movie based on Walter Isaacson's biography.

"You're not doing Transformers here. You're not doing Captain America," one source said about Fincher's demands. "This is quality -- it's not screaming commerciality. He should be rewarded in success but not up front."

In March, a report claimed the director was making similar demands in that he would sign on only if actor Christian Bale of "Batman: The Dark Knight" agreed to play Jobs.

Fincher's body of work includes a number of critically-acclaimed films, including "Se7en," "Fight Club," and "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." According to sources, Sony may be wary of granting oversight after a marketing debacle with the "Dragon Tattoo."

Fincher reportedly requested the movie's tagline read, "The Feel Bad Movie of Christmas" and pushed for the creation of metal one-sheets shaped like razor blades. The studio reportedly spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to produce the promotional material, but its use was limited after being deemed unsuitable for display in theaters.

The director may return to the negotiating table at a later date, but it remains unclear how Sony will respond if he continues to push for exorbitant up front fees.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    It's a negotiating tactic.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member
    Quote:

"You're not doing Transformers here. You're not doing Captain America. This is quality -- it's not screaming commerciality. He should be rewarded in success but not up front."

He is not Transformers and not Captain America.   But, he is the Captain who Transformed America's [innovation] and brought Commerciality. And, who cares success... journey is the reward.

/* That is too much 8-) */

• Reply 3 of 13
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member

These types of movies do not make that much money regardless of how many awards nominations they may receive. The audience is limited and Sony in absolutely correct in not giving any director or star huge salaries. A big name director and stars usually work on these type of films out of respect for the subject, work for scale and take a back-end deal on profits.

• Reply 4 of 13
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    "David Fincher pulls out.." That's what she said.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Good. I always thought that the Social Network was overrated and boring.

Who needs a repeat of that movie? Not me.

• Reply 6 of 13
    wurm5150 wrote: »
    "David Fincher pulls out.." That's what she said.

Boom! Phrasing!
  • Reply 7 of 13
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ingela View Post

These types of movies do not make that much money regardless of how many awards nominations they may receive. The audience is limited and Sony in absolutely correct in not giving any director or star huge salaries. A big name director and stars usually work on these type of films out of respect for the subject, work for scale and take a back-end deal on profits.

Yes, he should offer to direct the movie for free with a larger participation in the profits from back-end and the oft-times more lucrative ancillary markets...OR he should offer to turn the Steve Jobs story into an extended 12 part series, a la House of Cards (his very successful series on Netflix).

• Reply 8 of 13
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Apple stock to drop on the news.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    His exorbitant expectations (they are) are probably still part of his PTSD of doing Alien3 for Fox... ;-D
  • Reply 10 of 13
    comleycomley Posts: 139member
    I would paid to direct !

[URL]

[URL]

[URL]

[URL]

It should be an honour to be asked

You're missed :-(
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Spike Jonze, David O Russell, Tom Hooper, Steve McQueen, The Coen Brothers to name a few would all pull out a great film - Christian Bale is still great choice for playing Jobs.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Hollywood can't make a good movie anymore because of greedy BS like this.
  • Reply 13 of 13

I thought Fincher was in the 20-20 club, but apparently not.

Anyway, looking at the performance of his films, I can understand why he does not have clout like some other directors.

Still, I love his directing style and if he doesn't do this movie, I hope someone equally good or better gets to do it.