Sony updates QX10/QX100 wireless camera lens with 'Half-Press' focus, high-res videos

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    hmm wrote: »
    I think there might be a specification for the use of LUTs, but I would have to look.

I believe each manufacturer has their own table. And OSX only supports 8 bit, unfortunately.
    Allowing it to hold out of bounds values just means that it needs some way to quantify them, which as far as I know only seems to be the case when values are evenly distributed. ICC v2 profiles don't work that way. It's just v4 allows recognition of other things that make this possible. By convention color engines that use floating point values consider 0 to 1 to be "within range". If a portion of the addressable values are mapped outside of that, they are out of bounds or clamped. What I'm referring to is the ability to store those out of bounds values for later use if necessary. Anyway parts of what you see on your screen are clamped if they don't fit within the display profile. It's just a bit of matrix math

{display profile matrix } X   {conversion matrix for reference space} X {conversion matrix for destination space}

As long as the values don't overflow the range of the individual bits, it is preserved. If implemented properly it allows you to bring back blown out parts if information was retained due to being outside the intended brightness range in stops yet not outside the differentiable range of the hardware itself.

I need to work on how I explain this.

I think you explained it to me very clearly! Thanks for your replies.

PS on my email notification from you I got another reply from you, which isn't displayed here on AI. Was there a specific reason? TIA
  • Reply 22 of 23
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I believe each manufacturer has their own table. And OSX only supports 8 bit, unfortunately.

I think you explained it to me very clearly! Thanks for your replies.

Oh you mean in terms of display output. High bit depth would mainly help the shadows assuming really good hardware implementing it.    That isn't really related to raw processing though.

Quote:

PS on my email notification from you I got another reply from you, which isn't displayed here on AI. Was there a specific reason? TIA

I rewrote it and accidentally posted the old one with it. Sometimes my replies are too rambly, so I revise them

• Reply 23 of 23
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    hmm wrote: »
    Oh you mean in terms of display output. High bit depth would mainly help the shadows assuming really good hardware implementing it.    That isn't really related to raw processing though.

Thanks; I get the difference, though I don't think I notice, or concern myself with, these details. Just a hobbyist here, and I'm happy when the picture looks good to me. That could very well mean there are more pictures that I would love, if 'treated right'.

Thanks for the revise.