Samsung execs deny copying Apple design, attribute smartphone success to marketing

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

They are claiming they could have market a polished turd and call it a smart phone and because they spent so much money on marketing they would have sold more turds and Apple Iphone.

Yes Marketing had everything to do about it, however, without a product to market to consumer then all the money spent would have done nothing for them. Let put this way, if they copied the iPhone and did nothing, spent no money showing off the product what would have been the end result. 

Quote:

Finally, Samsung called up Google engineers to testify that certain features seen in its phones, like data syncing, are core functions of the Android operating system. This is the second timethe case's defense attorneys called on Google to prove certain features alleged to infringe on Apple patents were created by the Mountain View, Calif. tech giant. The move is, in effect, using Google as a shield to Apple's claims.

I personally think this is bad strategy, it really does not matter who put the feature into the phone, Samsung is the one who placed it on the market and made the money of the stolen idea. Now if Samsung loose and they had some sort of agreement in place with Google saying if they get sued over the Android software infringing on someone else's IP they Google would have to pay Samsung legal bills. But I suspect Samsung did not get a get out of jail free card from Google since they would giving the software aware and probably made no warranties about it. It got back to you get what you paid for.

I am not sure this defense will work, I think the jury will be instructed they Samsung is the one who choose to use Android as is and placed it on the market so they have the responsibility.

• Reply 42 of 50
    Once Kia Motors really started making their own car designs (instead of legitimately rebadging Mazdas), they were initially copying design cues from higher-end cars. The Kia Optima used to look kind of like a bug-eyed Mercedes Benz. I mean sure, if you couldn't tell the difference, that was a real situation, but there were definitely cues taken from higher-end cars and slapped on lower-end cars just to class them up a bit. Were they outright copies? No. They're a reputable Korean company. They did what they could get away with without going too far and being blatant about it. Now they make some really nice cars that don't copy anything else. In fact, I'd be surprised to see other companies not copying some of the interesting cues Kia is implementing in their designs.

Now imagine if Samsung made cars. What's the most popular car on the market today? At least in the US? Then imagine a near exact copy of that car driving around with a Samsung badge. Also imagine that its ECU was flashed to run better on a dyno than in real-world conditions and that the interior was a hodgepodge of the car it was copying, Samsung's own layout it's been testing, and then yet another one for good measure. It would start out the same size as the car it copies, but eventually would become nearly twice that size to differentiate itself. It would incorporate a night-vision HUD that follows your face as it scans the horizon (and like the Gear Watch is also poorly connected to your Galaxy phone), 4 16MP cameras for collision detection (one at each corner...and dumps photos of your near hits to the SD card!) and keyless entry and start with your finger (pay no attention to the people telling you it can be spoofed). Also note that none of these systems have been tested beyond, "if it works, it ships!" Or maybe more specifically, "if it fits, it ships!" It's made entirely out of plastic with a lot of fake chrome coating to make it look higher-end. Also, celebs would be paid tons of money to be Global Brand Ambassadors only to be seen tweeting about how great Samsung's newest car is while driving the cars made by the company they copied.

They'll sell millions of them, but only because the dealerships were giving them away in BOGOs or because they were physically huge and people like that. Eventually people will begin to see the cracks and head to the HTC car which is actually pretty cool looking, is built far better, does not copy any other car on the market and has an exceptional sound system. No. I'm not an HTC shill, but if you're going to stick with Android, I hear HTC is really solid.
  • Reply 43 of 50
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Yes, but a corporation can't take the stand. Apple can call Samsung employees and Samsung can call Apple employees who, if caught lying would suffer personal consequences and might harm the respective case for Samsung and Apple but neither Samsung nor Apple can take the stand.

But... But... I thought, "Corporations are people too, my friend..."!
  • Reply 44 of 50
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

But... But... I thought, "Corporations are people too, my friend..."!

That will never really get old, will it? :)

• Reply 45 of 50
    jessejjessej Posts: 29member

Scamsung® We copy Apple™

fAndroids® We are Ignorant™

• Reply 46 of 50
    bobbyfozz wrote: »
    It is so incredibly annoying, time after time, year after year to see employees (so-called leaders and regular employees) lie for their company to keep their jobs. What seems so over-the-top is that when this is a "culture" thing it doesn't matter if they get caught, nor proven to be falsifiers and outright liars, all that matters is how it affects their aims: to dominate, sell the most and if it takes illogical lies, it still doesn't matter. The truth never matters to Samsung.

Aren't we sure that even if Apple tries to play fair they know in their legal processes they are going to have to be held to a higher standard than Samsung? At one time Japan was looked at as totally untrustworthy after the War (WWII). Now we do a lot of honest business with them (maybe Toyota has been the exception). China was impossible in their lying, and still is when they DENY attacking our defense agencies (via internet). Why not just admit it--what would we do about it?

The Malaysian people don't trust their own government because of the C370 fiasco.

But when it comes to baldfaced lying, no one can top these South Koreans, especially their industries, and especially their tech industries... but Samsung is unbelievably and absolutely at the top, making everyone else in their business (even the Americans working for them) appear to not even approximately fathom the value of ethics and trust. Our own clandestine agencies can't hold a candle to Samsung. There is NO regard to perjury. Nothing matters except to steal and lie to get what they want. They have been doing this for so many years they view it as "what we do must be right!"

When caught they still deny. When they finally admit to something rotten, they will use that admission as a new tactic to show a new face and declare that patents don't mean very much and therefore the penalties to theft should not be big! Their lack of logic is beyond all understanding except to mock the rest of the civilized world.

No Samsung phone, no refrigerators, no TVs... nothing...I will never buy another Samsung product, knowingly, of ANY kind made by Samsung. I started with Wal-Mart and have stuck to that. Samsung, you are next. Actually you have been so for quite a while. 

I admire your passion.
  • Reply 47 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I admire your passion.

I'm done with Samsung too.

I said recently here that I was getting a new HDTV, and I am NOT replacing my Samsung with another Samsung.  LG?  Maybe.  Vizio?  Probably.  We'll see.

Now, my Samsung BD player ... I doubt I'll have any problems with that anytime soon.  But when I do, its replacement will definitely not be a Samsung.

They are not fair players.  I understand that business is business, and all that.  But there's a difference between that and what Samsung has been doing.  Screw them.

• Reply 48 of 50
    aaronj wrote: »
    I'm done with Samsung too.

I said recently here that I was getting a new HDTV, and I am NOT replacing my Samsung with another Samsung.  LG?  Maybe.  Vizio?  Probably.  We'll see.

Now, my Samsung BD player ... I doubt I'll have any problems with that anytime soon.  But when I do, its replacement will definitely not be a Samsung.

They are not fair players.  I understand that business is business, and all that.  But there's a difference between that and what Samsung has been doing.  Screw them.

No doubt Samsung make many good products. But I will never buy one, even if Apple go out of business. The day that Samsung are properly punished for their sins will be a good day.
  • Reply 49 of 50
    Quote:

No doubt Samsung make many good products. But I will never buy one, even if Apple go out of business. The day that Samsung are properly punished for their sins will be a good day.

Couldn't agree with you more.

• Reply 50 of 50
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

"Good products" and "Samsung" don't really belong in the same sentence.

I'm glad I got rid of their piece of junk washing machine before it caught fire.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/samsung-recalls-150000-washing-machines-20130430-2ir0d.html