Samsung calls on computer scientists to refute Apple patent claims

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    maestro64 wrote: »
    You use the libraries which the company you work for owns. In today market you definitely do not use open source libraries since you do not know what restrictions exist on those library for the free use of them. Today they are libraries which required you to freely license back any changes or improvement you make to the code you got from open source. If the code a developer used in a company product has one of these stipulation than the companies entire product can be required as part of the open source from the period forward and it may bare the company from patenting their product or even making money of that product.

This all comes down to IP ownership and control, imaging if Apple engineer use opensource libraries which had requirements to freely license back any improvement Apple made, Apple whole products could be free to use by Google. Yes I know Apple uses Opensource code, but they have people who know the who IP ownership issue watch over what is use. Also Apple was criticized for taking form the opensource communities and not giving back the improvements which they were not required to. Apple only gave back things which would help them move their solution forward, but did not give back what made their products unique.

This is not about reinventing the wheel, it is about not using someone else's wheel which could cause you IP issue down the road.
    http://www.apple.com/opensource/
  • Reply 42 of 43
    libdemlibdem Posts: 36member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

No you do not use software libraries you bring with you from a university or another company you worked for or found on the internet. You use the libraries which the company you work for owns. In today market you definitely do not use open source libraries since you do not know what restrictions exist on those library for the free use of them. Today they are libraries which required you to freely license back any changes or improvement you make to the code you got from open source. If the code a developer used in a company product has one of these stipulation than the companies entire product can be required as part of the open source from the period forward and it may bare the company from patenting their product or even making money of that product.

Source Please.Clearly you do not understand what libraries are neither have you used them.Do you know that most of the Apple Datacentre runs on a customised linix distro or that facebook uses hive over hadoop on backend to manage its data repository?There is no stipulation that you have to give back to the community if you have used opensource.

I do not know where you got that from.

And people use libraries not   because they want to steal but because the implementations are usually much faster and efficient.Something as simple as sorting is an active research field with people spending years trying to push the envelope in terms of efficiency.

So as my computer vision professor says,"Do not think you can sit down and write the most efficient code in an afternoon just because you need it for you project?"

Clearly,  neither have you worked with nor written a single line of code yourself. So I do not expect you to understand the nitty gritties of computer science.

• Reply 43 of 43
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libdem View Post

Source Please.Clearly you do not understand what libraries are neither have you used them.Do you know that most of the Apple Datacentre runs on a customised linix distro or that facebook uses hive over hadoop on backend to manage its data repository?There is no stipulation that you have to give back to the community if you have used opensource.

I do not know where you got that from.

And people use libraries not   because they want to steal but because the implementations are usually much faster and efficient.Something as simple as sorting is an active research field with people spending years trying to push the envelope in terms of efficiency.

So as my computer vision professor says,"Do not think you can sit down and write the most efficient code in an afternoon just because you need it for you project?"

Clearly,  neither have you worked with nor written a single line of code yourself. So I do not expect you to understand the nitty gritties of computer science.

Actually I have written code and choose not to do it a career, however, I do on a daily base deal with product which include lots of software and and involved in licensing agreement for that software and deal with OSS requirements as such.

By the way what Apple use in the back office to run their business is not what I am talking about, I am talking about what they are selling and making their Billions on. two different applications and totally different IP risks associated with those activities.

Here is an example of what I am talking about and any company who knows what they are doing worries about this stuff since Programmer usually have no clue about the IP legal issues

http://www.ffmpeg.org/

FFmpeg is an open source communities which make encoders and decoders for video and audio which any one is free to use and contribute to. However, it has a nasty downside most programmer have no clue about, if you use the FFmpeg code in your product you agree to cross license you own encoder and decoder IP free to the community.

There are others with similar requirements, it part of this whole Utopian opensource communities which what people to share their ideas openly and not to charge people for its use. I said this earlier where I have been involved in the audits of other companies software only to find that their software engineers include software which they did not have the licensing rights to distribute and sell that software. The Management of those companies had not idea their programmers pull in code form other source which they did not have rights to.

Here is another example, MySQL, yeah it is free and open source but their are versions which are not free and open. You can get a version from Oracle and use it freely are long as you do not commercialize it, meaning it is not placed in to a product which you plan to sell and make money off. Now if you plan to commercialize it then you have to use a different version and obtain the correct licenses to do so.  Again I seen software which had the educational version incorporated into and the programs were like but it free why do you need to have license to distribute. Oracle is not a company you want to get into a IP legal fight with.

http://www.mysql.com/about/legal/licensing/oem/

So tell me why a programmer would use an educational version of MySQL in a commercial product, verse going and buying the properly licensed product, laziness, they have no clue, they are cheap and do not want pay for someone else's work, ect, ect. the list is long and most are probably true.

I doubt you programming professor would tell you to go out and use someone else's code which you're required to pay to use it. Yes their is lots of free libraries and code out there, however, do you know which one are free or require you to obtain as license to use.