Apple's maps trump Google's as hopefuls hunt for legendary 'Loch Ness Monster'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 84
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    boc wrote: »
    Comparing the image to the size of trees on the shore, the "Nessie" would have to be 100 feet long. Not possible.

I noted the same thing earlier :???:
  • Reply 42 of 84
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member

Apple edits out vehicles.  Look at Apple Maps satellite imagery in New York Harbor for entire schools of Nessies swimming around.  (And check out the roadways for the ghosts of dead cars showing their spectral images!!!  I want to believe!)

• Reply 43 of 84
    dazabritdazabrit Posts: 273member

Although I agree (for the most part) there are fascinating elements to the Loch that fuel the stories. Although it's essentially 'just a lake' it's still incredibly deep, there's very poor visibility due to the peat content and it contains huge underwater caverns. These are the things that really fuel the imagination.

The tales/myths are great for the imagination (especially for children) and the whole community thrives from the tourism so try not to be too hard on them! :)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

There is no Loch Ness monster, and I question the sanity of anybody who believes otherwise. It's all superstition and probably good for tourism.

It's a lake. The chances of a big sea creature existing there, swimming around for ages and ages without ever showing itself, or without anybody ever being able to clearly photograph or film it is close to zero. And no, fuzzy and grainy photographs do not count, and they're as legitimate as UFO hoaxes.

• Reply 44 of 84
    flaneur wrote: »
    You're busted—Bigfoot doesn't have any pockets.

Bigfoot is carrying that iPhone up his...
  • Reply 45 of 84
    alienzed wrote: »
    What happened to "News"...

You must be new here. Welcome.
  • Reply 46 of 84
    roly wrote: »
    "Nessie" can be viewed by clicking here on an iOS device or Mac running OS X Mavericks.

That's a joke...I click the link and I get google maps inside apple insider. I thought it was supposed to open in Apple's maps app?

Yeah I just copied the coordinates and pasted into maps
  • Reply 47 of 84
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Bigfoot is carrying that iPhone up his...

Maybe better to use R. Crumb's version:

• Reply 48 of 84
    humannhumann Posts: 22member

of course there's a Loch Ness Monster. next you'll be saying there's no Jesus or UFOs and stuff.

• Reply 49 of 84
    Buzzkill warning... It's a boat, probably a barge or tour boat. The missing vessel is an artifact of combining multiple photos for a smooth transition.

Don't believe me? Look up the London Eye and check of the Thames. It's swarming with "ghost" ships :-).

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/41994/width/200/height/400[/IMG]
  • Reply 50 of 84
    timbit wrote: »
    The article never explained why Apple maps were better than Google maps at finding Nessie! It kept saying they were but why???? More detailed in that area? More up to date? Constantly updated?

I thought the reason was explained in the article: Google Maps doesn't have Nessie. Apple Maps does. Apple 1, Google 0. Win.
  • Reply 51 of 84

Og come on, look at he context, zoom back a little and you clearly see that the North end of the Loch where this is, is near the outflow of the river There is sediment all over the place in the surrounding water and this is just an eddy in sediment. Done.

• Reply 52 of 84
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    This story is not being taken seriously enough!
  • Reply 53 of 84
    esoomesoom Posts: 155member
    There's not enough food in Loch Ness to support a group of breeding "monsters" of any size.
  • Reply 54 of 84
    zzcoopzzcoop Posts: 28member
    "The more reasonable explanation?" *sigh*

I never comment on these articles, but for some reason I couldn't let this one go. I did a few quick minutes of mythbusting and came to the following conclusion (your results may vary.)

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/41998/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
  • Reply 55 of 84
    Well the picture on Apple Maps is real, search for River Ness. Not sure if the dropped pin I did will be a good link but:
    A82
    Inverness
    IV3
    Scotland
    Near Dores and lairgmore.
    It's way bigger than any boats or even houses near it.
  • Reply 56 of 84
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I think both Apple and Google source some imagery from Digital Globe. As they're purchased static images I wouldn't expect they would all match. Years ago another satellite image also supposedly located "Nessie". That one was seen on Google Earth I believe.

But dang, the satellite views being made available to the public are simply incredibly detailed. Some years back we purchased what was at the time a high-resolution regional image from Microsoft for use in creating land maps for a client. IIRC it cost us northwards of $700. It wasn't nearly as detailed at what we have now for free.

If this is so, why is the area around my house vacant land on Google Maps and full of houses on Apple maps?

Poor old outdated Google.
  • Reply 57 of 84
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    ireland wrote: »
    A ship in a loch?
    Why not?
    http://www.lochness-cruises.com
    Besides, Loch Ness is 27 miles long.
  • Reply 58 of 84
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    hill60 wrote: »
    If this is so, why is the area around my house vacant land on Google Maps and full of houses on Apple maps?.
    If what is so? Maps are incredibly detailed now?
  • Reply 59 of 84
    hagarhagar Posts: 130member
    hill60 wrote: »
    If this is so, why is the area around my house vacant land on Google Maps and full of houses on Apple maps?

Poor old you for living in an area where all your open space gets sacrificed for more housing.
  • Reply 60 of 84
    shahhet2shahhet2 Posts: 149member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Didn't you already deleted your google account and services thousand times already! Why there is so much love for Google that you always come back to praise Google with no Google accounts/Services.

On my Mac, Apple map for US shows only land for any address, oh wait,  as far as I don't have to prove anything, I am allowed to say anything, right.