Intel's next-gen Thunderbolt rumored to hit 40Gbps transfer speeds with new connector

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 107
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

I use these:

http://www.amazon.com/Silicon-Power-2-5-Inch-Military-SP500GBPHDA80S3B/dp/B0053ORUS8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

4.5 stars after 600+ reviews means they aren't flakey for most users. 

I wonder why the price is so cheap for these things?  I just don't like USB powered drives for anything that I have to rely on.  The case looks rugged, but I don't have a laptop, I have a desktop and I have my storage connected 24/7 and I don't want it to unmount and mount intermittently and I've had bad luck with powered USB drives.  I've had several blackouts in my area every year and I have both my computer and external storage on a battery back up system and when it goes down, I have time to shut down properly.  So for me, I only use powered USB with a real plug in the wall and due to my USB DAC, I can't use any storage on the USB bus.  It's Thunderbolt all the way for me.

• Reply 102 of 107
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Durandal1707 View Post

You do realize that Drobo is not what most people are looking for when they get an external hard drive, right? Most people are looking to fill much, much simpler needs than that.

Regardless, I found some USB vs. Thunderbolt benchmarks for Drobo 5D.

http://www.tuaw.com/2013/10/29/drobo-5d-speedy-expandable-thunderbolt-storage-for-professiona/

In their tests, USB 3.0 was, of course, not as fast as Thunderbolt, but it got remarkably close given that the Drobo 5D doesn't support UASP. If it did, the result would likely be neck-and-neck.

FWIW, I just used the 'time' command to see how long it would take to cat a 1.03 GB file on my external UASP SSD. It took 2.669 seconds. That's 385.3 MB/s, which is faster than the manufacturer of the SSD (Crucial) even claims. The Blackmagic speed test app reports 348.6 MB/s read speeds. Pretty blazing fast.

It's funny how people earlier on were accusing me of making this about my personal needs, isn't it?

There was a guy in this thread, GoodGrief, who literally suggested exactly that — putting a $50 PCI card in a $500 PCI enclosure. It's on page 2. Go back and look and you'll see it. Good try, indeed.

I thought that once, too. Then I found out that the USB ports run at half the speed they're supposed to, and according to Amazon reviews, they're non-bootable. Eh, it's too expensive a device to be that flaky.

BTW, I'm getting pretty sick of this, so I'm probably going to be leaving soon. Ciao.

Well, I bought the Drobo mini for SEVERAL reasons.  1. size was small.  2.  I can do RAID 3. I am using SSD, not HDD, but I can do HDD if I felt like it.  3.  It's quiet  4.  It's within my price range 5. It's Thunderbolt because I can't do USB due to my DAC.

Now, the day I got it, I ran my own speed tests which are based on the SSD's I have and when I ran my own tests, I averaged twice as fast for read/write on Thunderbolt than USB 3.0 and that's WITHOUT the DAC running.  It was done without anything else that would hamper normal USB bus data transfers.  But since I have things on my USB bus, it would probably worsen the USB speeds, especially if I was playing music through my DAC, which I do about 6 to 8 hours a day, sometimes more.

Whether or not everyone wants this, that's not MY concern, but I do converse with a crowd of people that are buying Macs (lots of Mac Minis) and using them as dedicated music servers and they are using USB DACs connected to their stereo and they want some form of storage for that and there are a variety of ways they can go.  Also, in the Pro DAW world, they want RAID boxes that are freaking reliable, fast and aren't going to be bus powered.  Relying on bus power for a storage system that you rely on is almost suicide in my opinion.

What people do and what they SHOULD be doing are two different things.  Personally, if you own a Mac or PC with Thunderbolt, I would be leaning towards Thunderbolt and I would also be leaning towards a RAID, preferably RAID 5, so you have at least one parity drive should one fail.  I'm just trained to be in that mode.  for some mission critical, I would suggest RAID 6, but that's more for servers that can't go down and can't have two drives fail at the same time.

I've had many USB bus powered drives and I think they suck. It's my experience and I don't drop them, I don't mistreat them, i simply used them like I was supposed to and these were name brand products rather than just buying some generic drive enclosure and stuffing it with a drive.  I just don't like the reliability factor.  So again, what someone does and what is best are TWO different things.  I take my data seriously and I have a background from being in the corporate reseller industry for many years and have seen more horror stories from customers and I know that the reliability of these drives nowadays (unless it's an expensive Enterprise Class drive) are horrible. They just don't last like they should.

Now, I've talked to others that had Drobo's and they've mentioned that they were VERY reliable units, easy to setup and pretty much trouble free. Whether they used USB 3 or Thunderbolt, I could give a rip.  I HAVE TO USE THUNDERBOLT, EVEN THOUGH I PREFER IT.

Now, with the vastly growing market of USB DACs where people are connecting their computers as music servers, THIS IS a growing trend.  If you don't have one, then you don't know what they are all about.  But, there are literally HUNDREDS of these different devices on the market, it's growing at a FAST rate as people just want to either use their computer as the source of music since we are doing more digital downloads than using CDs, and for this growing market, a USB DAC on the same bus as a USB drive is a BIG NO NO.  No two ways about it.  So it's either relying on internal drives, and having some form of back up, or external drives, etc.  Now, I used to use a Airport Extreme to do my backups, but I don't anymore.  I like my backups directly from the computer and this setup I currently have is FAST and reliable.  I currently have over 600GB of storage used for my backups and I add large files quite often.  I just added probably a few gigs just last night of music content since I use ONLY uncompressed files for just about ALL new content.  It sounds better and I'm going mostly 24 bit with mostly 24/96 through 24/192.  Sometimes i get some AIFF CDs that I rip as well. If Apple came out with AAC 24 bit files and I can't tell the difference on my system to a 24 bit uncompressed, then I will download those instead if I can. But since they don't have anything,  I get what's available in the highest rate possible, because on my system, it's accurate enough to hear these differences.

I know I might be in the minority, and that's OK.  But if anyone asks me about what they should get for storage, I will say Thunderbolt.  PERIOD.  USB for storage is just the cheap way of doing things, and I don't support that mentality, unless you don't have anything of value on your system.  If you don't have anything of value, then heck, just use whatever is the cheapest crap you can get, because that's how much value you put on your data. I put a lot more value on my data and that's important to me.  It's all about what you want, need and think is best for you.  I've had drives go dead on my PC a long time ago, so I know what it's like to lose stuff.  I've dealt with USB drives for many years and I can't say good things about it.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

• Reply 103 of 107
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Additionally, if you're talking about pros for whom a grand supposedly isn't that much money, many of them hate the glossiness, and there's no non-glossy option on that display.

Nooooooooo...

...not the matte display argument...

...again.

• Reply 104 of 107
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Nooooooooo...

...not the matte display argument...

...again.

Apparently, he wants to raise that again. :=)

• Reply 105 of 107
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

BTW, I'm getting pretty sick of this, so I'm probably going to be leaving soon. Ciao.

AHAHHHAHAHAH  “I’m leaving, therefore I’m right.”

Originally Posted by Durandal1707 View Post

Your writing style is very similar to TS, as well as your content-to-mudslinging ratio, and you're going to join him on my ignore list.

Yeah, imagine, a website full of people who don’t lie. Foreign concept to you. Get your fingers out of your ears.

• Reply 106 of 107
    goodgriefgoodgrief Posts: 137member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Durandal1707 View Post

Again with the personal attacks, the surefire indicator of a weak argument.

1) Since my response to you was my first in the thread, there is no "again".

2) Despite your convenient failure to recognize the copious hard evidence I provided; I disproved each and every one of your absolute assertions on the basis you provided. This proves that my assertion of your ignorance of the facts (whether it be willful or otherwise) is in fact objectively accurate, and therefore not a 'personal attack'.

3) I will concede that the question of a google search being too esoteric for you was a bit catty (although I'd argue it hardly qualifies as a 'personal attack'). That being said, as it paraphrases your own words from the post of yours I responded to, does this qualify as a "surefire indicator" that your argument was weak to begin with (you know, aside from fact that you've been given proof, over and over, that your assertions were plainly wrong)?

So .... yeah.

(oops, necro'd this, sorry folks)

• Reply 107 of 107
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by GoodGrief View Post

(oops, necro'd this, sorry folks)

If six days is a necro, I’m John Travolta. We’re generally fine with any post anywhere; no worries. Contrast with some other sites where bringing back a year old thread will get you banned, even if the thread is the only one regarding that topic (mind-numbing idiocy, that).