Apple issues OS X 10.9.3 beta to developers with minor tweaks

Posted:
in macOS edited April 2014
Apple on Monday seeded the latest OS X Mavericks 10.9.3 beta to developers with iterative changes and enhancements, while asking developers concentrate on the usual focus areas including graphics, Mail and iTunes syncing.

Apple's latest version of the upcoming OS X maintenance update, dubbed build 13D45a, is the eighth seed since the first OS X 10.9.3 beta was released in March. Build 13D45a comes six days after the previous version was pushed out.

According to the accompanying seed notes, Apple is looking for feedback on Graphics Drivers, Audio, Mail, Safari and iTunes contacts and calendar synchronization.

Prior betas of the upcoming OS X 10.9.3 Mavericks brought support for pixel-doubling scaling, suggesting the update will introduce a so-called "Retina" output mode for late-2013 MacBook Pro with Retina display connecting to external 4K monitors

Developers can download the build 13D43 from Apple's Developer Portal or via Software Update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    imemberimember Posts: 247member

This has been helpful, Thanks

• Reply 2 of 10
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Prior betas of the upcoming OS X 10.9.3 Mavericks brought support for pixel-doubling scaling, suggesting the update will introduce a so-called "Retina" output mode for late-2013 MacBook Pro with Retina display connecting to external 4K monitors

I was considering taking the plunge for the Mac Pro, but after doing a bit of research on 4K monitors, I think I'm holding off for a while longer. The Sharp model is not getting all that good reviews and the similarly priced Asus and Samsung reviews are pretty bad as well. I'm still hoping for an all Apple set up with matching colors for monitor, keyboard, mouse and track pad, although I've yet to meet an Apple mouse that I liked.

• Reply 3 of 10
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    I hope someone can help answer this. Does Apple only seed to developers? Because developers are probably not the best group to be testing in real world situations. Do not developers only have the concern of testing the comparability of their own software against each seed and not the general interoperability of the system software. It's always the case that some glaring issues are overlooked until they do an official release.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    vaporlandvaporland Posts: 358member
    zaba wrote: »
    I hope someone can help answer this. Does Apple only seed to developers? Because developers are probably not the best group to be testing in real world situations. Do not developers only have the concern of testing the comparability of their own software against each seed and not the general interoperability of the system software. It's always the case that some glaring issues are overlooked until they do an official release.

Anyone can "be" a "developer" for $99 / year.

Maybe they should offer a "beta tester" role for $29 / year.

Turn QA testing into a profit center. "Maximize shareholder value".

Paraphrasing the company founder, "real artists ship... code that (just) works..."

Speaking of which, after more than 150 reboots, mavericks finally starts up with my 3 monitors configured and positioned as I left them.

I've changed nothing ( other than the position of my monitors. 150 times. ).

Must be some new heuristic learning algorithm. Also got tired of unchecking "mirror" 150 times.

Now that it works I'll hold off on 10.9.3
  • Reply 5 of 10
    vaporland wrote: »

Maybe they should offer a beta tester role whereby they pay us $99 to submit a bug report.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Maybe they should offer a beta tester role whereby they pay us $99 to submit a bug report.

Not gonna happen.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    vaporlandvaporland Posts: 358member

That was fast: http://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/14/04/22/apple_opens_os_x_1093_mavericks_betas_to_all_comers.html
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Wow.looks like there will be a significant quality increase to future releases. And it was surprisingly fast.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by zaba View Post

Wow.looks like there will be a significant quality increase to future releases.

Really? Now instead of being only partially lazy and illegally downloading the software, people can be completely lazy and download it right off. Flooding Apple with bad bug reports won’t fix anything more quickly.

• Reply 10 of 10
    Really? Now instead of being only partially lazy and illegally downloading the software, people can be completely lazy and download it right off. Flooding Apple with bad bug reports won’t fix anything more quickly.
    I think it will be a massive benefit to Apple for them to at least have a handle on some of the issues and bugs that go along with the general release, something that seeding to developers alone will not achieve. I am sure Apple will have the infrastructure in place to limit the things you point out. If this does happen however then they will shut it down quicker than when you accidentally stumble upon a windows 8 machine.