Leonardo DiCaprio may take lead role in Steve Jobs biopic with Danny Boyle at the helm

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2014
With Sony's big-budget Steve Jobs biopic in limbo after David Fincher backed out of the project, fresh rumors say director Danny Boyle may reteam with Leonardo DiCaprio to take on the story of Apple's cofounder.

Steve Jobs

According to a Monday report from The Hollywood Reporter, Sony is in discussions with Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire, Trainspotting) to direct the biopic based on Walter Isaacson's official Jobs biography.

In the same report, the publication said Boyle approached DiCaprio to play Jobs, though it is unclear if the actor is interested in the role. The two previously worked on 2000's The Beach.

Monday's news comes one week after director David Fincher reportedly pulled out of the project after making excessive demands of $10 million in up front payment and full control over marketing. Sony was supposedly hesitant in handing over the reigns after a marketing debacle with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

A report earlier this year claimed Fincher would only direct the feature if actor Christian Bale agreed to play Jobs.

For now, the only confirmed name on the roster is screenwriter Aaron Sorkin, who won an Oscar for his work on The Social Network. Like Jobs' biopic, Social Network revolved around another big Silicon Valley name in Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Interesting. I hadn't considered DiCaprio, but he's good.

• Reply 2 of 40
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Christian Bale would nail Jobs' voice a lot better than DiCaprio, not that Leonardo is bad by any means. Patrick Bates is only a haircut away from being Jobs.

Jobs, checking out Bill Gates' business card: "Look at that subtle off-white coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh, my God. It even has a watermark."
  • Reply 3 of 40
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Interesting. I hadn't considered DiCaprio, but he's good.

Good actor but I can't see him in that role.

What about Daniel Day-Lewis as Steve Jobs?

• Reply 4 of 40
    Well there's a movie I won't be seeing. Terrible actor and an even worse choice as lead in this movie should it come to pass.
  • Reply 5 of 40

One of the best actors alive

• Reply 6 of 40
    One of the best actors alive
    Hardly
  • Reply 7 of 40
    redefilerredefiler Posts: 323member
    DiCaprio was terrible as Howard Hughes, and there would be some direct similarities to a 'Jobs' character/bio, can't imagine he'd do any better.

This whole endeavor has Hollywood schlock written all over it. It's too soon, plus the cheesiest late 90's tv office drama screenwriter, combined with trying to staple on whatever famous flavor of the month lead actor, all so they can squirt this abortion out quickly.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Hardly

who should be on the list than?

• Reply 9 of 40
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member
    Daniel would be amazing as always.
    solipsismx wrote: »

• Reply 10 of 40
    redefilerredefiler Posts: 323member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Christian Bale would nail Jobs' voice a lot better than DiCaprio, not that Leonardo is bad by any means. Patrick Bates is only a haircut away from being Jobs.

Considering Bale's thin, wheezing fake-wrestler Batman voice, I think he's better off not trying to "do voices".  I've always thought that Liev Schreiber should just dub all of Bale's roles, cause at least he's got some fuzz on the potatoes when he hits the lower registers. 

• Reply 11 of 40
    deewindeewin Posts: 34member

I would watch this in a heartbeat. I love Leo's movie choices and acting abilities and I'm almost a fan of his work since Catch me if you can. People on internet forums are quick to judge and never take the time to give people a chance. I'll use Heath ledger as an example. So many people on the internet ridiculed him at the time and he turned out to be a fan favorite after playing the role (regardless of his death).

• Reply 12 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I have no doubt he'd do a fantastic job but he's a tough one to convince to take a role. He does so much research and training for his characters, he seems loathe to commit to a role he won't be comfortable with for years at a time.

• Reply 13 of 40
    I have no doubt he'd do a fantastic job but he's a tough one to convince to take a role. He does so much research and training for his characters, he seems loathe to commit to a role he won't be comfortable with for years at a time.

I, for one, am not in any rush to see a movie about Jobs.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I, for one, am not in any rush to see a movie about Jobs.

Point taken.

• Reply 15 of 40
    Daniel Day Lewis without a doubt.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    who should be on the list than?
    Day-Lewis or Bale I'd rather see in all honesty.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    DiCapro looks nothing like Steve and he's not nearly as tall.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »
    DiCapro looks nothing like Steve and he's not nearly as tall.

There is a 0.05 meter difference. That one aspect is well within an acceptable range.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by redefiler View Post

Considering Bale's thin, wheezing fake-wrestler Batman voice, I think he's better off not trying to "do voices".  I've always thought that Liev Schreiber should just dub all of Bale's roles, cause at least he's got some fuzz on the potatoes when he hits the lower registers. 

Bale's actually very good at voices. Have you ever heard his natural Welsh accent? It's jarring 

• Reply 20 of 40
    imemberimember Posts: 247member

Hugh Jackman had been a better choice!, still DiCaprio is better than Bale

Steve Jobs was a funny person while Day Lewis or Bale are not funny at all they only do dramas