Apple tech takes on distracted driving, blocks users from texting while behind the wheel

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iMember View Post

People before they died in car accident said the exact the same thing

You can take your little condescending lecture and cram it.  

Quote:

Yes it's a huge difference, my advice when your driving dont use touch controls let Siri do it for you 

Great, I didn't ask for your advice  You're also totally wrong.  Looking at a map is far more distracting than sending a quick yes or no.  

• Reply 42 of 73
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    tailstoo wrote: »
    So my pregnant wife, who is due to give birth any day, would not be able to send me a text because the phone has decided that I am driving and it would therefore be unsafe?

The day Apple implements this "feature" is the day I get rid of my iPhone.

Yes. If she texts you and then you crash and burn, there'd be a lot of guilt. She could call you.
    pmz wrote: »
    This completely ridiculous and I will abandoned iPhone over it if this is forced upon me with no way of Disabling.

It's not that I need to text and drive. It's about control. Apple has no right to control such things. For that matter, human beings must stop accepting such bullahit. You so not need laws and restrictions to protect you from yourself...what you need is common sense. We need to advocate the spread of common sense and knowledge....not treat EVERYONE like idiots for the sake of a few.

This is absolute WRONG way to handle these issues and I will protest it til the end. If Apple ever forces this upon me, I will demand they remove it or take my iPhone back and refund my money, along with all the money I've spent getting into the iPhone ecosystem.

Why have laws then? If common sense solves everything.
    The only valid argument is a measure of control. It is already illegal to text and drive...no need to let some third party restrict you from texting and driving.

Imagine if all cars had breathalyzers installed by default...

More people are texting and driving than DUI.
  • Reply 43 of 73
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    The only valid argument is a measure of control. It is already illegal to text and drive...no need to let some third party restrict you from texting and driving.

Imagine if all cars had breathalyzers installed by default...
    I'm imagining that would actually be a really good idea.

If it's illegal, then why object to enforcing the law with technology? Unless you intend on breaking the law, that is.
  • Reply 44 of 73
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    marvfox wrote: »
    I am glad Apple is introducing this now. Maybe less deaths will not happen with this new technology they are producing.Texting and driving is a slow suicide for both driver and pedestrian.

Sadly there is nothing slow about it. Further it is manslaughter bordering on murder in some cases. Worst yet it is young woman that seem to be killing themselves and friends at a very high rate. We have had some really ugly deaths locally, like a young woman driving an SUV full of friends into a tractor trailer at full speed. It isn't slow death when you do something like that, it is rather instant and devastating.

Honestly sometimes I'm glad I never had kids as I'm not sure I'd ever want to give them the keys to a car.
  • Reply 45 of 73
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I have had a number of similar experiences over the last few years. Frankly in all my years of driving I had fewer contacts with drunk drivers. Everything from guys running red lights with their head glued to a phone to people drifting from lane to shoulder oblivious to people using the road with them. It is so bad that I've given up riding my bicycle in some areas. People are simply unaware of the people around them.
    appleluvr wrote: »
    A car came with two feet of hitting me as I crossed the street walking last week. Guess what, the driver was texting... maybe to his pregnant wife.

Sunday evening, I was run off the road by... guess what... some numnutz texting.

If you don't believe this is a serious problem with all the senseless deaths that have been caused, then you are an idiot. If somebody needs to contact you, they can ring the phone and you can answer on bluetooth... either OEM on your car or a visor mount. There is zero reason to be texting while driving. Zero.

Agree 100%

Sadly these guys will make al sorts of claims like I missed him (after swerving through traffic). Or the classic one is I didn't see him (which of course you can't see him if you are texting). Right now the problem is far worst than drunk driving as far as real danger on the road. I'm not a fan of drunk driving either but it is time to start putting these people behind bars just like drunk drivers and if the situation fits convict them of manslaughter or murder and label the bastards for life.
  • Reply 46 of 73
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Sadly there is nothing slow about it. Further it is manslaughter bordering on murder in some cases. Worst yet it is young woman that seem to be killing themselves and friends at a very high rate. We have had some really ugly deaths locally, like a young woman driving an SUV full of friends into a tractor trailer at full speed. It isn't slow death when you do something like that, it is rather instant and devastating.

Honestly sometimes I'm glad I never had kids as I'm not sure I'd ever want to give them the keys to a car.

I was so tuned into my own experiences with idiot people texting while driving over the past week that I forgot to mention that my Mom and I came across a road block in PA due to emergency vehicles. A young man was texting while driving coming down the mountain in Lycoming County when he hit a pickup truck head-on and sent it off into the woods. I don't know the outcome from the accident.

So that is three personal incidents I have experienced in the past week, one almost sending me to the hospital. Use your phone to speak in the car. Only idiots text and drive. Period. 

• Reply 47 of 73
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    It'd be much nicer if Siri mentioned you had a text and possibly read it to you. I often use Siri to compose texts to my wife while driving to coordinate evening activities on my commute home.
  • Reply 48 of 73

Yes, but you are talking versus looking at your phone and typing. That's a huge difference.

• Reply 49 of 73
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleLuvr View Post

Yes, but you are talking versus looking at your phone and typing. That's a huge difference.

I am pretty sure a number of folks have demonstrated that even a hands free conversation can be just as distracting as any other activity routinely conducted in a moving vehicle - it is your brain that needs to be on task when driving as much as your eyes. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Sadly there is nothing slow about it. Further it is manslaughter bordering on murder in some cases. Worst yet it is young women that seem to be killing themselves and friends at a very high rate. We have had some really ugly deaths locally, like a young woman driving an SUV full of friends into a tractor trailer at full speed. It isn't slow death when you do something like that, it is rather instant and devastating.

So what you are saying is that the real problem is young women. Maybe we need to raise the minimum driving age until a point at which addictive text messaging is no longer predominant behavior. Or a maturity test as a component of the licensing process. 

• Reply 50 of 73
    magic_almagic_al Posts: 325member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

I'm imagining that would actually be a really good idea.

If it's illegal, then why object to enforcing the law with technology? Unless you intend on breaking the law, that is.

I don't think people have really thought about a world where laws are enforced 100% of the time by technology. The experience of law enforcement for all of history has included committing a noticeable crime and police actually noticing and making a human judgment call to do something about it because it's a higher priority than something else. Trying to have machines make it physically impossible for humans to deviate from a program is a terrifyingly dehumanizing idea.

• Reply 51 of 73
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

So passengers can't send texts?

Quote:

Originally Posted by r00fus View Post

It'd be much nicer if Siri mentioned you had a text and possibly read it to you. I often use Siri to compose texts to my wife while driving to coordinate evening activities on my commute home.

The Bluetooth feature in my Honda can read texts.  Works with both iPhones and Androids.

• Reply 52 of 73

Apple Insider needs a grammar lesson in "present tense".  To read the headline and first sentence of this story, one would conclude that this is a fait accompli.  That Apple is doing it NOW.  

But it is not so.

• Reply 53 of 73
    Bikers rejoice.
  • Reply 54 of 73
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Horribly intrusive idea Apple! Are you now the technology police? 

Unqualified drivers is the reason people get into accidents. This stupid check some boxes on a test and park between two cones is an ignorant way to issue licenses. People on a regular basis should have to pass a stringent virtual reality driving test that will measure reaction time, decision making, and law knowledge. 

I've seen only one person while driving in San Diego that almost caused an accident while texting. All others are just stupid people who have no right behind a speeding bullet. I literally witness people stopping on the highway (yes, on the highway) waiting to get into the lane that empties onto the ramp because they, for whatever reason, did not get over soon enough. 

Fix the problem first! The problem is people driving who should not be, or should be restricted to surface streets. Or speed up the adoption of technology that has senses its surroundings. 

Whatever has this tech in it, I will NOT buy! 

• Reply 55 of 73
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

More people are texting and driving than DUI.

That's a good point...I don't want my phone to tell me what I can and can't do though. Seems wrong.

But even still I don't think this tech is being understood properly. Also, with EVERY major mobile OS having decent to good hands free capabilities I don't see why this is even an issue.

I don't want people to text and drive. I'd rather they did not...especially since most people drive a lot worse than they think they do.

• Reply 56 of 73
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

How does this thing differentiate between driving a car vs. riding as a passenger?

Read the article next time.

• Reply 57 of 73
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Horribly intrusive idea Apple! Are you now the technology police? 

Unqualified drivers is the reason people get into accidents. This stupid check some boxes on a test and park between two cones is an ignorant way to issue licenses. People on a regular basis should have to pass a stringent virtual reality driving test that will measure reaction time, decision making, and law knowledge. 

I've seen only one person while driving in San Diego that almost caused an accident while texting. All others are just stupid people who have no right behind a speeding bullet. I literally witness people stopping on the highway (yes, on the highway) waiting to get into the lane that empties onto the ramp because they, for whatever reason, did not get over soon enough. 

Fix the problem first! The problem is people driving who should not be, or should be restricted to surface streets. Or speed up the adoption of technology that has senses its surroundings. 

Whatever has this tech in it, I will NOT buy! 

Maybe you should educate yourself.  The majority of accidents are not caused by unqualified drivers.  You live in CA, you know the driver test behind the wheel does not include parallel parking!  They have not done that in decades.  You only demonstrated your own ignorance.  If you did research, you would know 23% of accidents were caused by cell phone use (1.6M accidents).  Do some research before you claim you know what you are talking about.  I have done insurance claims for 20 years and inattention by cellphone use, and other distractions, have increased.  The majority of accidents are caused by inattention, following too close, turning left in front of traffic, or running red lights.  It has nothing to do with unqualified drivers.  Sounds like you could care less about safety and drive and text all the time because you claim you are such a hotshot driver, and know-it-all.  So you think a car driving itself or sensing surroundings will fix the driver inattention?  You are a fool.

http://www.textinganddrivingsafety.com/texting-and-driving-stats/

• Reply 58 of 73
    This technology could be built without regard to using a camera ON the phone using accelerometers and other such devices... hence putting something over the camera lens is only something someone with too much time on their hands would do.

Car rolling over and still being able to text? Unbelievable you came up with that one. Go ahead and get rid of your iPhone, Apple doesn't need owners of that mental caliber.

Wife pregnant having to get to the hospital. Make some plans in advance, don't rely on any one thing. This was one of the biggest reaches today.

You guys aren't helping, only proving to the international community that we have a LOT of stupid people such as the ones Jay Leno used to interview off set
    . Maybe change the word LOT to MOST.
  • Reply 59 of 73
    imemberimember Posts: 247member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Looking at a map is far more distracting than sending a quick yes or no.  

Ur right about that but what about other people? female in general...are they gonna do the same? just send a quick yes or no

Apple introduced this feature for two things 1 save people lives and 2 saving themeselves from lots and lots of lawsuits

• Reply 60 of 73

Calling and texting must be band all  together just like Germany. In fact many other activities such as eating must be band as well. Driving requires complete concentration and it takes a split second  to put yourself and others in a compromised position.