Apple beats estimates with $10.2B in profit on sales of 43.7M iPhones, 16.3M iPads

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    And some idiot on MacRumors is suggesting the only reason the stock is up after hours is because of the buybacks, dividend increase and stock split. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 22 of 62
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

iPhones up 17% , iPad down 16%, Macs up 3.8%,  for Q2 FY14 vs Q2 F13.  

• Reply 23 of 62
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member

How many people (I am certainly one) skipped on replacing their original/iPad 2 with a new one this past year because of the lack of Touch ID? If my next phone is going to have it then I want it on my iPad too. I can't imagine I was alone on that.

• Reply 24 of 62
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member

I really do try watching my language online.  However I will break that for a moment..

**** You Analysts, **** You iHaters.  **** You Media.  

Each and every time they post the typical hate and doom fabrications, they end up looking like idiots, and then try squirming their way out so as not to look like the idiots that they are.  

Congrats Apple.  Tim Cook plays those Wall Street a$$hats like the tools they are.

• Reply 25 of 62
    When Apple misses by one billion their stock tanks. So by making one billion plus over expectations is the stock going to soar?
  • Reply 26 of 62
    shahhet2shahhet2 Posts: 149member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

When Apple misses by one billion their stock tanks. So by making one billion plus over expectations is the stock going to soar?

For that outlook has to be good as well. They reduced 1-2B in revenue from next quarter outlook at the same time.

Some of the gain in stock price is due to Stock split, buyback and increased dividend.

• Reply 27 of 62
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Doomed! I bet the analysts will focus on the iPad numbers over everything else.
  • Reply 28 of 62
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So far Tim sounds much better on this call than he did last quarter. We'll see how he is during the Q&A but so far I like what I'm hearing. Very much in command, very few pauses or stumbling over words. Go Tim!
  • Reply 29 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by shahhet2 View Post

For that outlook has to be good as well. They reduced 1-2B in revenue from next quarter outlook at the same time.

Some of the gain in stock price is due to Stock split, buyback and increased dividend.

Buyback and dividend is a double bump.  Apple is both growth stock and a income stock.   double dip investing.   Stock Houses see a demand from the Joe Investor to pick up 10 shares now at $800 every quarter in their personal IRA, as well as the big mutual funds stuffing their 'growth and income' mutual funds with AAPL.

• Reply 30 of 62
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Who else is able to actually SELL 16 million tablets a quarter?
  • Reply 31 of 62
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,245member
    I think the dip in iPads was to be expected. Everyone already has one! They've been selling like hotcakes since they were introduced, and the newer markets that Apple has entered are more budget conscious, so there wouldn't be tremendous growth from them for a higher-priced item. Way to go Apple! You continue to impress on the growth front, even with very conservative product upgrades and introductions.
  • Reply 32 of 62
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I really do try watching my language online.  However I will break that for a moment..

**** You Analysts, **** You iHaters.  **** You Media.  

Each and every time they post the typical hate and doom fabrications, they end up looking like idiots, and then try squirming their way out so as not to look like the idiots that they are.  

Congrats Apple.  Tim Cook plays those Wall Street a$$hats like the tools they are.

He learned from the best, Steven P. Jobs.

• Reply 33 of 62
    jpmiajpmia Posts: 63member
    There you go Cramer!!! let see what he says tonight.. fast money people ate pissed..
  • Reply 34 of 62
    The big news is Angela Ahrendts joining the Apple team next week. BOOM !
  • Reply 35 of 62

After hours trading is now at $565.

• Reply 36 of 62
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    Who else is able to actually SELL 16 million tablets a quarter?

Christ. They shipped 16M. If there is any conference call which would end the AI meme that Apple reports sales as their headline number not shipments this would, you would think, be it.

Half the call was explaining the difference between he headline sales ( to channel aka shipments ) vs more favourable sales to customers ( aka sell through).
  • Reply 37 of 62
    He learned from the best, Steven P. Jobs.

He did sound as confident as Jobs. Not that Steve turned up to these calls that often.
  • Reply 38 of 62
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by shahhet2 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snova View Post

how do we explain increased gross margin?  Shift to more expensive iPads?

5S has higher gross margin. iPads have lower margin. Higher sell for iPhones (5S) and lower sell of iPad results in higher gross margin. (Addition to that services have much higher margin, which obviously grows much better then HW portion itself.)

hmm..  iPhone ESP went down however.  seem there might be a different explanation.  

• Reply 39 of 62
    snova wrote: »
    hmm..  iPhone ESP went down however.  seem there might be a different explanation.  

iPods.
  • Reply 40 of 62
    The big news is Angela Ahrendts joining the Apple team next week. BOOM !

Yes! AA is a very big deal!

Also, I like what Apple is doing financially:
    • stock split to attract smaller investor and (hopefully) reduce manipulation
    • stock buyback using inexpensive borrowing
    • dividend increase and commitment to future increases

I would also like to see some sort of dividend reinvestment program (DRIP) -- where a shareholder can reinvest dividends to automatically purchase additional shares.

It is possible that Apple is in the process of changing AAPL into a different kind of investment -- a GRIST (GRowth/Income STock) attractive to many types of investors.