Apple's Q2 iPhone sales boom, carry declining iPad performance

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    What makes you think that Google is going to revamp the UI? And you haven't been paying attention, quite a few websites have called the SGS 5 a 'meh' update.

The New Your Times compared the new SGS5 to the seven-month-old 5s and found the Samsung product was inferior using every metric they used to compare the two. This from a publication that has never shown Apple any love.

The only industry that loves Samsung is the Advertising industry who have been blessed with tens of Billion of dollars of Samsung's spending.
  • Reply 22 of 64
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

The only industry that loves Samsung is the Advertising industry who have been blessed with tens of Billion of dollars of Samsung's spending.

Yep. From Reuters

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/11/27/us-samsung-marketing-idUSBRE9AQ18720131127

"Samsung Electronics Co is expected to spend around $14 billion - more than Iceland's GDP - on advertising and marketing this year..."

Now, this isn't all on smartphones, but that does make up a large part of it. 

And it may also be a factor in the fawning press coverage Samsung receives in some publications. 

• Reply 23 of 64
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Everyone I know with an iPad loves it and uses it daily but they also have no desire to upgrade it annually like a smartphone (which are subsidized here in the US) or plans to stop using it. Even the iPad 2 is still a very capable device.
    Indeed. And this goes a long way to understanding why iPad sales may have plateaued, as you also said. You do not need a new one very often. Addionally, each of those iPad owners are loyal Apple customers who will be buying a new iPad eventually, as the device is a reliable and pragmatic tool that lasts. However, it has replaced traditional PCs in the sense that you only need a computer now to do the few things an iPad cannot; namely backing up and restore functions through iTunes and the infamous internet media download that iOS continues to handicap. But, if you still have your old (barely functionable PC), this is all you would need it for - your iPad can do everything else you would need for daily use. This is the attraction.
  • Reply 24 of 64
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashFan207 View Post

Indeed. And this goes a long way to understanding why iPad sales may have plateaued, as you also said. You do not need a new one very often. Addionally, each of those iPad owners are loyal Apple customers who will be buying a new iPad eventually, as the device is a reliable and pragmatic tool that lasts. However, it has replaced traditional PCs in the sense that you only need a computer now to do the few things an iPad cannot; namely backing up and restore functions through iTunes and the infamous internet media download that iOS continues to handicap. But, if you still have your old (barely functionable PC), this is all you would need it for - your iPad can do everything else you would need for daily use. This is the attraction.

I my household we have a happy messy mix of iPhones, iPads, a Mac Mini (media server and security cam recorder) and a 2010 MBP.  I find I still use the lappy as my primary system and "second screen" for my massive amount of TV watching.  But the iPad Air and iPad 4 are still in that mix every day.  My wife has the Air and uses it constantly since I rarely give up the MBP.  For now this mix works perfectly.  In the future I'm not sure what we'll use as the MBP ages.

• Reply 25 of 64
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    This from a publication that has never shown Apple any love.

I don't agree, after all David Pogue (big time Apple guy, and is it just me or is he everywhere lately?) worked for them until recently. The NYT doesn’t usually lavish love on anyone.
  • Reply 26 of 64
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

If this retweet by JLS is accurate the iPad's unit sales to date are 210 million which is 2x the iPhone in the same time period.

• Reply 27 of 64
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As for iPads, Cook still believes tablets will quickly replace PCs, noting unit sales were at the "high end" of its own guidance but lower than analyst expectations.

Looking at the numbers, Apple sold 16.35 million iPads over the quarter, down substantially from 19.48 million in the year ago quarter. Maestri saw the decrease as a nominal change, which equates to a 3 percent decline due to channel inventory fluctuations.

"iPad has been the fastest growing product in Apple's history," Cook said, noting over 200 million units have been sold in only three years. The growth is substantially greater than iPod and even the iPhone over the same time period. "It's important to put that into perspective, we've come a long way very quickly."

Later in the call, Cook reiterated channel inventory guidance may be to blame for inflated Street expectations. Pointing out a 95 percent share of America's education tablet market, high user engagement and other growth factors, Cook said iPad is performing very well.

"I'm very bullish on iPad," he said.

Bring Touch ID to the iPads integrated with user profiles and people will literally line up around the block to buy them.

You listening, Tim?

• Reply 28 of 64
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    john.b wrote: »
    Bring Touch ID to the iPads integrated with user profiles and people will literally line up around the block to buy them.

You listening, Tim?

Ummm, they already have, and will continue to do so with or without those features.
  • Reply 29 of 64
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) PCs can't restore themselves without access to a restore disk or disk image either. It's true iOS devices currently needs iTunes for grabbing the IPSW for a restore but there is no reason why that has to be always be the case. Apple could, if they wanted to, use the same techniques for booting the Mac into a recovery mode to download the installation files without needing to plug it into iTunes first. I don't think that will happen for a variety of reasons but they could do it.

True. I've blown away the Mac OS X boot partition on a MacBook Pro Retina and the recovery partition took over and downloaded and restored the original factory Mac OS X boot image. Quite spectacular. The DVD-drive free MacBook Pro Retina (and Air) are first classes citizens of iCloud: a truly network-aware computer. Beats staring at a PC BIOS message like "boot sector not found."

Apple could do something like that on the iPad, in theory. It can already download and install iOS updates.
  • Reply 30 of 64
    You listening, Tim?

Are you seriously addressing Tim Cook via AppleInsider's forums?
  • Reply 31 of 64
    Apple could do something like that on the iPad, in theory. It can already download and install iOS updates.

My feeling is Apple probably has had meetings about this in the past and decided that 1) people with iDevices that also don't own at least one "PC" are not likely the people that will be also be able to do a restore, and 2) the need to restore an iDevice is very rare.
  • Reply 32 of 64
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

My feeling is Apple probably has had meetings about this in the past and decided that 1) people with iDevices that also don't own at least one "PC" are not likely the people that will be also be able to do a restore, and 2) the need to restore an iDevice is very rare.

This is a tough issue and many people with differing opinions are "right". I won't preach but will muse upon a few scenarios ...

One is that people with an iPhone or iPad and no PC-type device at all - are uncommon. Most folks with iPhone/iPad have a PC or Mac, or some access to one. So Apple has retained the "bigger hammer" solution of the full download-and-install using the PC/Mac as the intermediary (with iTunes). The full install is rather big and lots of folks don't have enough free space to be able to download, let alone install. So "hosting" that through iTunes on PC/Mac makes sense.

Updates over-the-air (OTA) are great (I do this with iPhone/iPad but still download combo updates for OS X :) but they're only updates. If your iDevice is wedged then OTA == SOL. So you DO need at least transient access to a PC/Mac to do a clean re-install.

The need to do a restore is - in my experience - infrequent but I wouldn't say it's "very rare". As an example, consider a month-long European vacation. My MBP is a secondary system so I would take an external drive with certain stuff I needed from my home machine. And I'd make sure it had a current system installed on it with fix-it tools. And maybe a bootable recovery thumb-drive for belt-and-suspenders protection. But if I went with just an iPhone and iPad I would probably not take anything extra. The likelihood of failure is very low and if you have a problem then there are Apple stores in a number of cities. Not everywhere, to be sure, but there are quite a few and I would be able there to get help.

I am sure that the "no PC" crowd will increase in number over the next few years but right now I believe it's small. It will indeed be interesting to see how the technology develops to deal with this.

• Reply 33 of 64
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    I will give a C for Apple iPad marketing team. I have said here many months ago that Apple needs to make the base model 32 GB for $499. Apple marketing team is still trapped in the same target as in 2010. That is the person uses iPad to view email, surf internet, watch video, store photos, etc. Apple marketing team seem stupid not knowing that with more memory then users can store all their music library, photos on an iPad. Further, with more memory iPad can be more useful as a productive device. So there are three groups of people that can use an iPad. Apple only captured one group of users since 2010.
  • Reply 34 of 64
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

2) the need to restore an iDevice is very rare.

When I was briefly an Apple At Home Advisor last year, restoring devices was the recommended "fix" way more often then you might think.

• Reply 35 of 64
    welshdog wrote: »
    When I was briefly an Apple At Home Advisor last year, restoring devices was the recommended "fix" way more often then you might think.

Sure, but the number of restores compared to the number of sales is minimal and those that only have an iDevice but no "PC" or access to an Apple Store are going to be very rare. Again, I'd like to see a Restore Disk option added to all iOS-based devices but I don't think it's going to happen until the need is truly there.
  • Reply 36 of 64
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Are you seriously addressing Tim Cook via AppleInsider's forums?

I doubt that Tim Cook lurks on these forums. I would guess that he probably has better and more important things to do, but I do think that there are some people from Apple who probably visit here every once in a while, just for some LOLs.

• Reply 37 of 64
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member

You listening, Tim?
    Well I hope he's not, because user profiles aren't going to help sell more iPads... iPads being a "person device" like an iPhone in Apple's eyes. Mine too BTW... so get your own and get your grubby hands off of mine!
  • Reply 38 of 64
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    tzeshan wrote: »
    I will give a C for Apple iPad marketing team. I have said here many months ago that Apple needs to make the base model 32 GB for $499. Apple marketing team is still trapped in the same target as in 2010. That is the person uses iPad to view email, surf internet, watch video, store photos, etc. Apple marketing team seem stupid not knowing that with more memory then users can store all their music library, photos on an iPad. Further, with more memory iPad can be more useful as a productive device. So there are three groups of people that can use an iPad. Apple only captured one group of users since 2010.

And what stopped the people that needed the extra storage from purchasing a 32gb iPad in the first place? Or after realizing that the iPad is a great device and they really should have purchased the 32gb, selling the 16gb and then getting the larger storage model, possibly the newer version at the same time?
  • Reply 39 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

You listening, Tim?

Touch ID is definitely going to come this year for the iPads. However, the way I see it, Apple has no incentive to allow for User Profiles on the iPad.

The iPad is designed for a single person - it is the ultimate 'personal' computer (well, along with the iPhone).

If User Profiles are implemented, what happens when one person in the family goes travelling and takes the iPad along? What do the other people who have Profiles setup on that iPad do?

Moreover, allowing for User Profiles could mean a potential loss of sale. Instead of selling 2 iPads to a family, Apple would end up selling only one.

Maybe there is a scope for Profiles when the rumoured iPad Pro comes out. If the purpose of the iPad Pro is to eliminate the traditional PC for the mid-tier computer users (the first-tier being those for whom the iPad is enough and the third-tier being professionals who do stuff you could justify a Mac Pro for), then it could possibly support Profiles and be targeted as 'one-for-each-family'.

• Reply 40 of 64
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Touch ID is definitely going to come this year for the iPads. However, the way I see it, Apple has no incentive to allow for User Profiles on the iPad.

The iPad is designed for a single person - it is the ultimate 'personal' computer (well, along with the iPhone).
    If User Profiles are implemented, what happens when one person in the family goes travelling and takes the iPad along? What do the other people who have Profiles setup on that iPad do?

Moreover, allowing for User Profiles could mean a potential loss of sale. Instead of selling 2 iPads to a family, Apple would end up selling only one.

Maybe there is a scope for Profiles when the rumoured iPad Pro comes out. If the purpose of the iPad Pro is to eliminate the traditional PC for the mid-tier computer users (the first-tier being those for whom the iPad is enough and the third-tier being professionals who do stuff you could justify a Mac Pro for), then it could possibly support Profiles and be targeted as 'one-for-each-family'.
    iPad sales are pretty much flat to down. A lot of speculation out there thinks one reason is iPad is being shared, that it's not just a single person device. Leaving out user accounts/profiles to force people to buy multiple devices doesn't seem like it follows Apple's mantra of making the best products. I'm sure parents would love to have a way for their kids to use their iPad and be able to restrict what they have access too. The idea that young kids should have their very own iPad is ridiculous, IMO. I'm hoping when Apple brings Touch ID to the iPad they incorporate user profiles. Other tablets do this already so I don't see why Apple couldn't do the same.