Apple rolls out iPhone 5 sleep/wake button replacement program in U.S. and Canada

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    hb12hb12 Posts: 3member

I bought my iPhone 5 shortly after it started selling here in the US. I've been having problems with the phone not waking and the sleep-wake button not responding. I have to push both the sleep-wake and the home button and hold it pressed for quite some time to get any response. The problem is intermittent but annoying none the less.

When I researched the issue I saw the recall and checked my serial number - my phone is indeed one of the ones eligible for the recall. I have not had any other issues with it (perfect condition) so I thought it would be easy to get it fixed.

That was until I encountered the largely unaware, poorly informed/trained, and less than helpful staff at the Apple store. Despite the clear information on the website and the phone support staff advising me to get the phone sent in through the Apple store - the staff at the store refuses to send the phone in unless they can duplicate the problem in the store.

I explained it was an intermittent problem and that I certainly have no history of filing any claims against warranty or other complaints - not a single one to be exact -  I actually was a big Apple fan until this past week.

Long story short: They refused to mail in my malfunctioning phone. Several statements by them did not match the recall program website... I called the phone support back and today they wanted me to give them a credit card for a hold on the value of the phone so they can send me a replacement.

It's unbelievable how poorly informed their own staff is in regard to this program. My phone remains with the issue unresolved. Despite a recall from Apple and a qualifying serial number I cannot get the phone serviced. 

Poor customer service by Apple all around. 

• Reply 42 of 45
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hb12 View Post

I bought my iPhone 5 shortly after it started selling here in the US. I've been having problems with the phone not waking and the sleep-wake button not responding. I have to push both the sleep-wake and the home button and hold it pressed for quite some time to get any response. The problem is intermittent but annoying none the less.

When I researched the issue I saw the recall and checked my serial number - my phone is indeed one of the ones eligible for the recall. I have not had any other issues with it (perfect condition) so I thought it would be easy to get it fixed.

That was until I encountered the largely unaware, poorly informed/trained, and less than helpful staff at the Apple store. Despite the clear information on the website and the phone support staff advising me to get the phone sent in through the Apple store - the staff at the store refuses to send the phone in unless they can duplicate the problem in the store.

I explained it was an intermittent problem and that I certainly have no history of filing any claims against warranty or other complaints - not a single one to be exact -  I actually was a big Apple fan until this past week.

Long story short: They refused to mail in my malfunctioning phone. Several statements by them did not match the recall program website... I called the phone support back and today they wanted me to give them a credit card for a hold on the value of the phone so they can send me a replacement.

It's unbelievable how poorly informed their own staff is in regard to this program. My phone remains with the issue unresolved. Despite a recall from Apple and a qualifying serial number I cannot get the phone serviced. 

Poor customer service by Apple all around. 

That sounds unfortunate. When mine started playing up, it was also intermittent. Within a few weeks, it quickly deteriorated to virtually no response. 

I went in yesterday to get mine replaced, and, happily, I had exemplary treatment. A thorough check of the phone was carried out, and after about half an hour, I was sent away with my sim card. They did a detailed examination of the sleep button, and mine was obviously completely non-working. 

Your best bet might be to wait a few weeks, then try again; with luck, the issue will be more obvious, and you won't get such grief.

• Reply 43 of 45

So there is hope :) 

I actually called Apple Technical Support (again) and finally spoke to someone who not only knew about the program, but who had the ability to step in and direct the store on what they need to do. I will go back Monday and see if they will actually follow through... Keeping my fingers crossed. 

I miss the old Apple experience.

• Reply 44 of 45
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    hb12 wrote: »
    I actually called Apple Technical Support (again) and finally spoke to someone who not only knew about the program, but who had the ability to step in and direct the store on what they need to do. I will go back Monday and see if they will actually follow through... Keeping my fingers crossed.

I hope it works out for you. Out of interest which Apple Store did you have problems with?
  • Reply 45 of 45

Briargate shop at the Promenades in Colorado Springs, CO.

In the past they have always lived up to the expectation of having great customer service and being helpful. We bought a few computers and iPads there and it was always a good and fun learning experience... Not sure what is going on right now but this has been a bad experience for sure. Hopefully they will redeem themselves on Monday - I'll keep you posted.