Apple v. Samsung damages breakdown revealed in jury verdict form

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 94
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

Samsung had the advantage of bringing in Google and the claim that Android truly copied Apple. You're right the main focus was to confuse the jury which is why most cases get settled and never go to the jury. I have always wondered how this would have played out if both companies were based in the US. Not sure if it would have made a difference or not. 

I always believe a jury does the best they can, the fear is the evidence is over their heads. I still believe the mindset is stealing IP is a victimless crime. It's interesting I have seen people post about patents and the US Constitution, really they date back before the Constitution many of the states used the patent system. Hard to believe laws have been around that long and we still can't get it right when it comes to enforcement. 

An ignorant public is the greatest danger to the Constitution.

• Reply 82 of 94
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Its alot easy to defend guilt then prove guilt.

Most lawyers with half a brain (and skill) know whether they're the plaintiff or the defendant when they're taking on a case, no? It's not like it's a surprise?

• Reply 83 of 94
    georgeip5georgeip5 Posts: 225member
    gtr wrote: »
    I thought your defence of Apple was admirable!

;)
    You really make these forums fun! I'll keep pan eye out for your posts next time. Thanks, I laughing my but off right now :D
  • Reply 84 of 94
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

I still believe the mindset is stealing IP is a victimless crime. It's interesting I have seen people post about patents and the US Constitution, really they date back before the Constitution many of the states used the patent system. Hard to believe laws have been around that long and we still can't get it right when it comes to enforcement. 

There are victims to Samsung's patent thieving shenanigans, as Pioneer found out.

"The same thing happened with Pioneer, a Japanese multi-national that specializes in digital entertainment products, which holds patents related to plasma televisions. Samsung once again decided to use the technology without bothering to pay for it. In 2006, Pioneer sued in federal court in the Eastern District of Texas, so Samsung countersued. The Samsung claim was thrown out before trial, but one document revealed in the course of the litigation was particularly damaging—a memo from a Samsung engineer stating explicitly that the company was violating the Pioneer patent. A jury awarded Pioneer $59 million in 2008. But with appeals and continued battles looming, the financially troubled Pioneer agreed to settle with Samsung for an undisclosed amount in 2009. By then, it was too late. In 2010, Pioneer shut down its television operations, tossing 10,000 people out of work."

Source

Samsung are old hands at this game.

• Reply 85 of 94
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

lol that park is in Seoul, I was wondering if it was California disney or something... no wonder Sansung is like a Xerox machine, its deep inside there cultured.

• Reply 86 of 94
    jman225jman225 Posts: 18member
    Someone please tell me why apple is suing samsung for these patents when in reality it is google who stole?
  • Reply 87 of 94
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    hill60 wrote: »
    There are victims to Samsung's patent thieving shenanigans, as Pioneer found out.

Samsung are old hands at this game.

That's just sad.
  • Reply 88 of 94
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jman225 wrote: »
    Someone please tell me why apple is suing samsung for these patents when in reality it is google who stole?

Samsung benefitted most from them. They also could have altered the OS so it wouldn't infringe and they didn't.
  • Reply 89 of 94
    puffdpuffd Posts: 2member
    Perhaps Samsung see patent infringement, the trials and any fines incurred just a normal cost of production.
  • Reply 90 of 94
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Samsung benefitted most from them. They also could have altered the OS so it wouldn't infringe and they didn't.

How does one alter an OS to prevent developers from searching and replacing certain strings in their own apps?

• Reply 91 of 94
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

I relate Samsung's penalty to driving 120mph through a residential neighborhood and getting a $10 fine.

Or perhaps being very rich and never putting plates on your car, or parking in handicapped spots all the time.

• Reply 92 of 94
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    eightzero wrote: »
    Or perhaps being very rich and never putting plates on your car, or parking in handicapped sports all the time.

Steve was a unique individual. I'd really like to know what was his thinking on this. Did he believe the law was irrelevant because he couldn't waste his time adhering to it? Perhaps a dissecting job for future armchair psychologists.
  • Reply 93 of 94
    tastowetastowe Posts: 108member
    The samsung lawyer are stupid ass. So I am going to fire samsung CEO and lawyer because they are very evil South Korean. So we need a unclear war for South Korea. I don't trust the Samsung South Korean lies. I knew everything about the samsung are doing copy the kitchen appliances, TVs, smartphones, DVD players, vacuum cleaners, small appliances, cameras and MP3 players from real brands products. I feel like beat the samsung up for stealing everything from this United States. They did alway break of law in the United States.