Apple stock breaks $600 threshold as investors embrace capital reinvestment

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    iobserve wrote: »
    The real question is, after the split- how long until it hits $200?

so far this year we have increasing revenues, increasing profits on existing product lines.
    a new product in a new category guaranteed by Tim Cook before the end of the year.
    continued repurchase of shares causing increased stock price even with unchanged market cap.
    decent dividend that will increase annually.

$165 per share will make Apple a trillion dollar company. $200, at the current number of share adjusted for the split, would put Apple's market cap at $1.2 trillion. Or you can look at it as $200 x 7 = $1400 per share right now. That's a very long ways away even with nothing but hits every years.

I can imagine $100 post-split within 6 months (possibly sooner), but I wouldn't make any bets to that effect. It really depends on how any new products are received.

$100 is only $700 per share readjusted. We've been there and I agree that 6 months is doable but i'd range it for a year.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

$100 is only $700 per share readjusted. We've been there and I agree that 6 months is doable but i'd range it for a year.

What time frame would you allow for a $200 per share scenario?

• Reply 23 of 54
    What time frame would you allow for a $200 per share scenario?

For Apple to be a $1.2 trillion dollar company? I couldn't even fathom a guess.
  • Reply 24 of 54
    daviangeldaviangel Posts: 2member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Before I bought the stock late 2012 I wasn't really an Apple fan.  But after buying the stock and doing 'research' at Apple stores I began seeing the advantages of iOS and a closed system.  Since then I bought 2 iPads, 2 Apple TVs, MacMini, and 2 iPhone 5S.

If I do cash out on some of my shares I'll probably get an iWatch and MacBookAir. 

Too bad I didn't know more people like Wardc above back in 2000 to try to buy as much Apple stock as we could. I knew back then that Apple was making a comeback even though at that time everyone was still making fun of anyone using Apple products.

The thing that told me they were going to make a lot of money was getting my first iPod around 2000 to replace my walkman. Don't think many people realize how revolutionary this was at the time. Everyone else was still using cassette tape or CD and this made it possible to finally carry a ton of music with you if you did a lot of travelling around as I did since I was in the military at time. My walkmans would always breakdown within a year or less because I always had to have music when I went running and they couldn't take all the stress not to mention tape wearing out or cd's getting cracked or scratched, etc... That's also when I got my first Macbook laptop. No one got a Mac laptop back then even though they were the coolest and made out of titanium. Windows was a juggernaut overshadowing Apple was going to fade away. Anyways probably should've spent more time trying to make more money to buy Apple stock than trying to explain to all my friends and coworkers why I use Apple products and why they are superior to what they are used to...

• Reply 25 of 54
    sog35 wrote: »
    Lets slow down son.  

Even $100 won't be a guarantee and you want DOUBLE of that?  At todays prices that would be $1400 a share.

1) Of course he wants it to double. He wants it to make him as wealthy as possible. What share holder wouldn't? Montgomery Brewster? :D

2) He was just asking a hypothetical based on [@]iObserve[/@]'s comment.
  • Reply 26 of 54
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Since everybody is patting themselves on the back for timely purchases of AAPL, I guess I should be the counter-example:
    Last spring I sold my Apple to buy Windows.

(In my defense, I had tripled my money and the old house needed 20 windows as it was drafty in the winter cold and summer heat. I still have a toe in, but up days make me nostalgic more than happy now...
  • Reply 27 of 54
    bageljoey wrote: »
    Last spring I sold my Apple to buy Windows.

My first reading of that assumed you meant to write Microsoft.
  • Reply 28 of 54
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    solipsismx wrote: »

Mine, too. But he did that on purpose.
  • Reply 29 of 54

Fandroids have been very quiet in the past 2 months. Not that I'm complaining. I'm guessing people are starting to finally wakeup to the superiority of Apple's ecosystem. Even the ANALcysts can't spin Apple down anymore.

• Reply 30 of 54
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I see bozo Fred Wilson is at it again. http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2014/05/05/apple-fred-wilson-arrington/

One question I have is: he says Apple is doomed because they're too entrenched in hardware and hardware is increasingly becoming more of a commodity. Yet at the same time he knocks Apple for not being a bigger cloud player. Um, hello, isn't the cloud becoming more and more of a commodity? It seems every time I go to a tech site Google or Amazon are cutting their cloud pricing and then competitors follow suit. Who's making decent money in the cloud space right now?

And as far as hardware goes...people have been saying that about Apple since forever. I remember in the early 2000s Gartner wrote a white paper saying that Apple should get out of the hardware business and license OSX because they'll never be able to compete with companies like Dell. When are these people going to get a clue that Apple isn't selling hardware, they're selling products and experiences. Apple's hardware isn't commodity when the software it runs doesn't run on any other hardware.

I guess Fred must be pissed because he sold his stock back when it was ~$90/share.
  • Reply 31 of 54
    Sog35, I sometimes wonder if that is how all of us can afford Apple's products.
  • Reply 32 of 54
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Hmmm. What would Constipation Odo say?

If he found out AAPL broke $600 while Timmy Cook was in charge, his forehead would explode.

• Reply 33 of 54
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member

jungmark wrote: »
    Mine, too. But he did that on purpose.
    Yeah. I've used that joke a lot. It helped ease the pain of divesting myself of AAPL... :P
    I bought at 170 and sold around 550. I was sure it was a peak but the stock continued a nearly vertical accent to 700 before collapsing!
  • Reply 34 of 54
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

The 7 for 1 split is genius, psychologically.

10 for 1 and we'd still be stuck at the same levels because people would just mentally move the decimal point. Oh, $53? That's the old $530. 

But with 7 for 1, you don't have people hanging onto those undervalued numbers. Most people can't easily eyeball a 1/7th division quickly, so they have a chance to revalue the stock without the gut feeling that is just somehow isn't worth more than x because that's where it had been sitting. 

• Reply 35 of 54
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Started buying AAPL at $74/share pre-iPhone. Glad to see it's value heading back where it should! Long on AAPL!
  • Reply 36 of 54
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Apple, not the markets, is buying the shares. In a Ponzi scheme you can't get out more than you put in. So how the hell is this possible? Oh because Apple dips into its bank account and pays you what the markets can't reconcile. A freaking Ponzi scheme.
    The question is always there. When shares go up, who is responsible for paying you that increase.

Some of you are scholars in this corrupt, economic zeitgeis.
    SMH.
  • Reply 37 of 54
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    What share holder wouldn't? Montgomery Brewster? :D

Thanks for the laugh. I wonder how many people even caught that reference.
  • Reply 38 of 54
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    It's below $600 now.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,851member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WardC View Post

Really wishing I had bought about 1000 shares in 1997 when the stock was around $13.00. Now I'd be rich!

Well, I do own 5 shares at the moment. Bought them around $327

That would have been 28,000 shares x 85.88 = 2,404,640 dollars Doh....(note there have been 3 stock splits in that time (2)-2 for 1's, and the impending 7 for 1.)

• Reply 40 of 54
    sog35 wrote: »
    Paging Constipated Odo
    Paging Constipated Odo
    Paging Constipated Odo
    Paging Constipated Odo
    Paging Constipated Odo
    Paging Constipated Odo
    Paging Constipated Odo
    Paging Constipated Odo
    Paging Constipated Odo

He has changed his tune.

danox wrote: »
    That would have been 28,000 shares x 85.88 = 2,404,640 dollars Doh....(note there have been 3 stock splits in that time (2)-2 for 1's, and the impending 7 for 1.)

Is $2.4 million USD considered rich in this day and age?