Consumers most unsatisfied with poor voice control, bad speakers in current smart watches

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Why does the display and other electronics have to be flexible in order for the display to be curved and ergonomic? Why can't the components be static but curved? Being static makes it stronger, more durable, and cheaper to build.

No arguments there.

• Reply 42 of 56
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

A watch is a watch as long as it tells time. WHO CARES!

So a phone is a phone so long as it makes calls?

• Reply 43 of 56
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

That is right years ago when you did not have cell phones you made your calls on either public phones or phones            in your house and guess what it worked.We are to dam hooked up to all these gadgets today with even communicating with each other and using our brains to think!

• Reply 44 of 56
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

So a phone is a phone so long as it makes calls?

Telephone is a composite word: from tele (meaning far away) plus phone (meaning voice). So yes, a telephone is a telephone as long as it transmits your voice far away.

• Reply 45 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

... you made your calls on either public phones or phones in your house and guess what it worked.

Not only it worked, but it still works and the communication quality is so much better today than in mobile phones. Each time I receive at my fixed (wired) phone at home a call from someone using a mobile one, I am like :mad: about the audio. Of course the fault is not in my side because I never have this problem with normal wired phones As you can expect, I still refuse to buy a mobile phone.

• Reply 46 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

WOW! no surprise here. As the pointed out and I have said all along, battery life if an issue, 24 hours is not enough. I know most people charge their cell phone at night, most likely next to their bed. For those who wear a watch as jewelry off it comes at night as well. for those who use a watch as a watch it not unusually for them to wear them non stop especially at night when they go to bed, why is it easier to just look at your watch to see what time it is when you wake up. Many people who have one watch usually never take it off. 

Very pertinent comment. I cannot imagine charging a watch regularly. Even changing the battery once per year in current classic watches is too much because, with 10-15 euros for each change, in a few years you pay the price for a new one. This is why I bought a light-powered analog watch last year. If it does not break, it will never need service.

• Reply 47 of 56
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    pb wrote: »
    Very pertinent comment. I cannot imagine charging a watch regularly. Even changing the battery once per year in current classic watches is too much because, with 10-15 euros for each change, in a few years you pay the price for a new one. This is why I bought a light-powered analog watch last year. If it does not break, it will never need service.

Woah! How did you jump from charging a battery to changing a battery?
  • Reply 48 of 56
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »

Easy, he swapped the 'r' for a 'n'. :lol:
  • Reply 49 of 56
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Simple: I don't want anymore to bother changing batteries in a watch due to cost and uncertainty (you cannot know when exactly will stop). On the other hand, having to charge it regularly is completely out of question for me. It is a huge inconvenience. My watch hardly ever leaves my wrist. As I said, I chose a model powered by light. Anything less is not going to get my attention.
  • Reply 50 of 56
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Easy, he swapped the 'r' for a 'n'. :lol:
    :D No, as I explained it is more profound than this. 8-) No matter how good a watch made by Apple may be, it is going to be a mini computer needing regular recharging, not just a watch. This concept is of zero interest for me personally. I hope other people will enjoy it though.
  • Reply 51 of 56
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    pb wrote: »
    Simple: I don't want anymore to bother changing batteries in a watch due to cost and uncertainty (you cannot know when exactly will stop). On the other hand, having to charge it regularly is completely out of question for me. It is a huge inconvenience. My watch hardly ever leaves my wrist. As I said, I chose a model powered by light. Anything less is not going to get my attention.

1) Since when has charging or changing something ever been a convenience? It's an extra step and therefore an inconvenience in and of itself. The best you can hope for is technology allowing the inconvenience to be minimal and spread out.

2) We're not talking a wristwatch we're talking about a wearable computer. You don't have to like it, want it or use it, but trying to force what is capable in a simple wristwatch today into a wearable computer today has no basis in reality.
  • Reply 52 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Since when has charging or changing something ever been a convenience? It's an extra step and therefore an inconvenience in and of itself. The best you can hope for is technology allowing the inconvenience to be minimal and spread out.

2) We're not talking a wristwatch we're talking about a wearable computer. You don't have to like it, want it or use it, but trying to force what is capable in a simple wristwatch today into a wearable computer today has no basis in reality.

1) Since never. It is one of the reasons I don't buy such devices, unless I cannot do otherwise.

2) The digital music players, including iPod, replaced the walkman of the 80's sporting as main function music playing and having more or less the same inconvenience regarding recharging. If the, as of now, chimeric iWatch will follow the same pattern remains to be seen.

• Reply 53 of 56
    ingsocingsoc Posts: 212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Telephone is a composite word: from tele (meaning far away) plus phone (meaning voice). So yes, a telephone is a telephone as long as it transmits your voice far away.

Of course you're right, but only in the strictest and most pedantic way.

I have not seen any surveys about this, but I would hazard a guess and say that if you use words these days like "mobile phone" or "cell phone", consumers likely increasingly think about smart phones. The term "smart phone" is quickly becoming redundant, while the word "phone" is increasingly taking on a broader meaning and set of assumptions.

• Reply 54 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingsoc View Post

Of course you're right, but only in the strictest and most pedantic way.

I have not seen any surveys about this, but I would hazard a guess and say that if you use words these days like "mobile phone" or "cell phone", consumers likely increasingly think about smart phones. The term "smart phone" is quickly becoming redundant, while the word "phone" is increasingly taking on a broader meaning and set of assumptions.

I don't deny the fact that technology is moving on, and with it society also. But it does not hurt to remember once in a while the original meaning.

• Reply 55 of 56
    ingsocingsoc Posts: 212member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PB View Post

I don't deny the fact that technology is moving on, and with it society also. But it does not hurt to remember once in a while the original meaning.

Yes, I agree - it's just that the original meaning isn't very relevant in this case. One of the earlier comments was something like "a watch is a watch as long as it tells time, who cares?"

Well, that kind of comment misses the point by a pretty wide margin and I think that's the attitude that people are responding to when they point out that phones (and perhaps watches soon) are changing what they are in a fundamental way.

• Reply 56 of 56
    Not a lot of people think that lottery can be won by employing some sort of a sophisticated keralalotterytodayresults.in science based predictions. So, as a whole, the men and women who play the lottery get rid of money.