Apple sapphire supplier GT Advanced widens loss in Q1 as firm heads into 'transformational year'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2014
Apple partner GT Advanced Technologies on Wednesday announced results for its first fiscal quarter of 2014, showing a widening loss and revenue drop compared to last year as the company ramps up sapphire production for a joint project with Apple in Arizona.

Mesa
Apple-GT Advanced sapphire manufacturing plant in Arizona.

With fingers in a number of high-tech industries, including a sapphire glass manufacturing deal with Apple worth $578 million, GT Advanced reported results that were tamped down by a slumping worldwide photovoltaic market. The figures were within guidance estimates.

It appears that GT Advanced is betting big on its growing sapphire business, which brought in $5.6 million for the three months ending in March. As expected, sapphire gross margin was in the red due to a build out of the Apple-sponsored "Project Cascade" sapphire manufacturing plant in Arizona.

"With respect to our Arizona project, we have now received three of the four prepayments from Apple," said GT Advanced President and CEO Tom Gutierrez. "We continue to expect our sapphire segment to contribute meaningfully to revenue this year."

A quick look at the firm's balance sheet shows GT Advanced ended the quarter with $425.8 million worth of property, assets and machinery, up from $209.8 million in the quarter prior. The huge boost is likely thanks in large part to Project Cascade's parcel of land and associated equipment.

As noted by the company, the first quarter earnings includes Apple's second prepayment of $111 million to go toward its $578 million sapphire agreement, but does not include a third prepayment totaling $103 million. Counting all three payments, Apple has doled out $440 million and GT Advanced expects the total amount to fully fund capital outlays associated with the Arizona project.

Considering the gap between the firm's current assets, Apple's $578 million investment and Gutierrez's statements, it can be speculated that the two companies may be planning to further expand Project Cascade in the coming months. AppleInsider reported in March that sources familiar with the Arizona plant's construction said the companies were indeed preparing for a potential expansion that could double sapphire output.

"We continue to expect that 2014 will be a transformational and significant year for GT as our sapphire materials business ramps up and we continue to execute on our strategy of investing in new technologies that will help drive growth in 2015 and beyond," Gutierrez said.

For the quarter, revenue stood at $22.5 million led by $13.2 million from the firm's photovoltaic segment, $5.6 million for sapphire and $3.7 million for polysilicon. The numbers are down $10.1 million over consecutive quarters and $35.3 million year-to-year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    macky the mackymacky the macky Posts: 4,801member
    A company who is in the business making flawless precious stones, is in the red... how is that possible? It's better then being in the business to print money.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    A company who is in the business making flawless precious stones, is in the red... how is that possible? It's better then being in the business to print money.

But the precious ones have flaws—"stars"—and are blue. Maybe they could divert a furnace or two after hours.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    why do we in care about this...? worse case, GT Advanced works for Apple... OH NO!./sarcasm.

all GT advanced has to do, is make synthetic Sapphire for Apple and contain the cost that GT advanced occurs for thier "other" projects...

GT advanced has a bright future, worst case scenario is that GT semi becomes a division of Apple corp. due to the fact they can't make the payments on loan for the new plant. But, i am sure Apple might suspect this, but it won't be a surprise because GT advanced warned that the Sapphire price might crater, due to Chinese manufacturing. But, GT advanced has an ace up there sleeve, in that they produce Quality product, it is American, and Apple wants the product the GT advanced technologies produces.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    haar wrote: »
    why do we in care about this...? worse case, GT Advanced works for Apple... OH NO!./sarcasm.

all GT advanced has to do, is make synthetic Sapphire for Apple and contain the cost that GT advanced occurs for thier "other" projects...

GT advanced has a bright future, worst case scenario is that GT semi becomes a division of Apple corp. due to the fact they can't make the payments on loan for the new plant. But, i am sure Apple might suspect this, but it won't be a surprise because GT advanced warned that the Sapphire price might crater, due to Chinese manufacturing. But, GT advanced has an ace up there sleeve, in that they produce Quality product, it is American, and Apple wants the product the GT advanced technologies produces.

I agree I just grabbed some GTAT stock while it is low. I have faith the Apple connection is golden.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Are you suggesting they shift their business model to rubies?:D I should probably cap the number of terrible jokes I make in a day.

• Reply 6 of 6
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    hmm wrote: »
    Are you suggesting they shift their business model to rubies?:D I should probably cap the number of terrible jokes I make in a day.

Terrible indeed. It wouldn't be much of a shift. A Ruby is actually an instance of the mineral Corundum as is Sapphire. In fact the only difference between a Sapphire and a Ruby is the color. A Corundum of any color other than red is a Sapphire. Highest quality Rubies in larger sizes are frequently valued above even Diamonds. Apple just might be on to a win win here :)

It is interesting to note Apple's love of aluminum continues given corundum is aluminium oxide (Al2O3) with traces of iron, titanium and chromium.