Samsung sacks mobile design chief after tepid reception for Galaxy S5

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 80
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Mmm ... Another opportunity for Sammy ...

They could appropriate the Gillette Theme Song and lyrics (maybe even Sharpie, too):

???? Look Cheap, Feel Cheap, Be Cheap

To look cheap -- when you use your phone,

To feel cheap -- with every call you make;

Just be cheap -- get a Sammy Phone,

For the quickest, slickest con of all!

They would never steal that song it is too patriotic for them... You need a song which is more evil sounding.

• Reply 62 of 80
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    But they made it look more like an iPhone, what could have gone wrong.
  • Reply 63 of 80
    sambirasambira Posts: 90member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

That's entirely possible. The S5 (lack of) design wasn't what was expected. Perhaps the Peter Principle was on full display.

They expected a design?  Wow, that would be unique.  I fear that there will be no "break-through" design in Samsung until Apples next designs come out as product.  I'm guessing the new guy will do alright if Apple does come out with something new since there will be something to copy.

• Reply 64 of 80
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by xPad View Post

I think you're right. They promoted him as far away from industrial design as they could.

Boom!  Very funny comment!

• Reply 65 of 80
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sambira wrote: »
    They expected a design?  Wow, that would be unique.  I fear that there will be no "break-through" design in Samsung until Apples next designs come out as product.  I'm guessing the new guy will do alright if Apple does come out with something new since there will be something to copy.

There have been 2 iPhone designs that Samsung didn't copy. iPhone 4(S), and iPhone 5(s)
  • Reply 66 of 80
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,264member

I'm surprised that Samsung waited so long but I'm sure they appreciate his loyal service and the revenue stream that he helped create for them, no matter how ill founded it may have been from a design and originality perspective. It's a good way for Samsung and a valued employee to both save face and to start moving in new directions. Maybe Samsung is waking up to the fact that they cannot endure being vilified by their largest customer, not trusted by their business partners, and morally offensive to future customers if they intend to be a world class premium products company and thought leader. All the negativity is dragging them down and isolating them on a moral level if not on a financial level. I'm sure that all of the other Android aligned companies hate their guts and even Google just tolerates them because of their market share. Sure they can keep hiding behind heavily discount pricing, copytition, and pretending to be Apple's equal, but they haven't shown that they are up to the task despite having started as the huge Goliath in their battle with Apple. They picked the low road and that's where they will stay until they get their act together and prove their worthiness. Maybe this is a baby step in the right direction. Settling their differrences with Apple through a cross licensing agreement would be another way to cleanse the stink off their hands and get them back on the high road to respectability. They can do it if they really want to. Apple and Microsoft eventually came to terms and each company's creators had a deep mutual respect for one another up until the very end of Steve Jobs' time on earth. Anything is possible and I hope that it does work out. A strong competition on a level playing field is always the best scenario for us as customers.  

• Reply 67 of 80
    r2d2r2d2 Posts: 95member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I believe seppuku is a Korean tradition isn't it?

It's Japanese and is from the Samurai Bushido honour code.

• Reply 68 of 80
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Samsung on Thursday replaced mobile design leader Chang Dong-Doom with deputy Ver Min-yuck.
  • Reply 69 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetMage View Post

Seems more like a promotion than a sack - why not fix the headline?

Because the former would have no reason for being an article here and the latter is good click bait. With the number of Samsung related articles here they might as well rename this site Samsung Insider.

No.

• Reply 70 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by MACT View Post

But their commercials said the 5S was such a great phone!

The 5S is the iPhone. Is it really that hard to type SGS 5?

Thanks to Samsung's deceitfulness, which you're well aware of, it's easy to confuse the two.

• Reply 71 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Samsung Insider...

No; this is Apple Insider.

• Reply 72 of 80
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    "Lee, who came in to work only on Wednesday afternoons every other week, has said he wishes to spend more time with his family."
  • Reply 73 of 80
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,779member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

HA! Could have fooled me. Every other article is about Samsung on SamsungInsider and not Apple. 

• Reply 74 of 80
    macxpress wrote: »

HA! Could have fooled me. Every other article is about Samsung on SamsungInsider and not Apple. 

• Reply 75 of 80
    Quote:

SamsungInsider...with all the latest news on Samsung!

• Reply 76 of 80
    macxpress wrote: »

SamsungInsider...with all the latest news on Samsung!

• Reply 77 of 80
    Quote:

SamsungInsider

• Reply 78 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Quote:

Apple Insider

Correct.

• Reply 79 of 80
    I've had iPhones from 1st Gen to 4S. I now have an S5 and I'm so much happier. I'd be interested to know the demographic of the posters on this forum. It seems like the people here 38 year olds that used to have Blackberries. I'm wondering if any of you have even tried an S5. As a developer, Apple's products are horrendous. Their OS is so extremely closed; sealed up so tightly that you can't do anything they don't want you to do. I've never been happier with a phone than I am with my S5.

Now when I hold a 5S it feels like a kids toy, no joke. And don't even get me started on 5C, lmfao.

Who the heck even confused this phone for an apple product? They are night and day. The S5 is way more user-friendly. I don't know any apple products with invisible buttons. Oh yeah and I have a quad core processor.

Is anyone here even a programmer or tech person AT ALL? 0_0