Apple & Samsung combine for 106% of handset profits as competitors continue to bleed cash

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    sambirasambira Posts: 90member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yeah! Great idea. They should license iOS Samsung too.

No need.  Samsung already copies it.  Why pay for licensing fees?

• Reply 62 of 72
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thompr View Post

No.  Because others are contributing negative profits.  It all adds to 100% as it should.

If it adds up to 100%, why is it 106%?

• Reply 63 of 72
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    mstone wrote: »
    There is no "Profit" column either.

"Earnings" is the bottom row of the P&L report. Positioned exactly like the "Grand Total" is on a typical invoice.

(Gross Revenue) - (Cost of Goods) - (Other Expenses) = Earnings

It can be negative but it is not called negative profit it would simply be called a loss.

Company A and Company B do not combine their P&L report.

There was a big discussion on whether or not 'negative profit' is a correct term. There's actually a correct time to use 'negative profit', it's when a company is expected to lose a certain amount of money, and they actually lose less. The difference is 'negative profit'.
  • Reply 64 of 72
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

There was a big discussion on whether or not 'negative profit' is a correct term. There's actually a correct time to use 'negative profit', it's when a company is expected to lose a certain amount of money, and they actually lose less. The difference is 'negative profit'.

Whatever. The last time this came up on AI I happen to run into our CFO in the hall and I asked him. After about a 30 minute lesson on balance sheets, fixed assets, long term debt, shareholder expenses and P&L reports, he said 'negative profits' is ridiculous, so that's what I'm going with since he has more than 25 years experience in corporate accounting.

• Reply 65 of 72
    obadidosobadidos Posts: 2member

Do you actually believe that you can have more than 100% of any entity? And, can you tell me what negative profit is?

• Reply 66 of 72
    obadidosobadidos Posts: 2member

There is not more than 100% of any entity at any point in time. You can't create more matter than there is!

• Reply 67 of 72
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    sirlance99 wrote: »

The average sale price of a vehicle in the U.S. is $31,252

The Mercedes starts at $29,995.

I'm saying these models are for mass market and well within the range of the everyday normal consumer that buys a new car.

What's the source for that average? Does that included taxes? I spent $22K for my car.
  • Reply 68 of 72
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member

Can't believe so many new posters have sprung up on AI. It's really very nice.

These posts give me a sense of deja vu from when Apple and Samsung took 103% of all profits.

• Reply 69 of 72
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple and Samsung together account for more than 100 percent of industry profits"

Because they gave 110% effort, right?

rolleyes

Oh for the day to hear a sportsman on tv say "I gave 60%."

• Reply 70 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RS9 View Post

I'm going to get dinged but Apple should seriously consider Wozniaks suggestion and have Apple offer Android cell phones. If Apple buys, HTC...they get contracts, licenses, etc. as well. HTC is considered by the Industry the best Android phone worldwide. Image it would shake the very foundation of Samsungs plastic phone.

No.

• Reply 71 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kForceZero View Post

It's funny, every time this metric is mentioned there has to be a handful of dumb-asses coming here to proclaim that "you can't have more than 100% of something".  Ok then, what if you have something, say a company that grows 150%?  Or you can't have any company grow more than 100% either?  It all depends on what you compare.

You know, it's not rocket science.  The industry as a whole made X amount of money.  Apple & Samsung combined made more than X.  That is all.

It's like having a company with multiple divisions, some which are profitable, some which are not.  Should the company then only report the profit from profitable divisions because the losses from the others "aren't profits"?  LOL!  SEC would have a field day with that one!

No, it's a completely idiotic way of observing who makes money in the computing world. More fool you for not seeing it.

• Reply 72 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

news flash: appleinsider 'writers' pen 214% of the internet blogosphere's stupidest headlines!!!

Well done!!!