Apple wants Beats Music, but likely to keep Beats hardware alive after deal - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 168
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    justp1ayin wrote: »
    I just realized that most people are upset cause of racism and nothing else.

Don't give me that crap. It has nothing to do with Dr. or anyone else being black. It's a bullshit excuse. People objected because Beats headphones aren't considered good and they thought Apple could easily do their own streaming service. If this purchase goes through for $3.2B it sure seems like no one's seeing the whole reason yet.
  • Reply 42 of 168
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I don't consider overpriced to be premium. I pay a premium for Apple products because I believe their quality, ecosystem, customer service, etc. is better than anyone else's. The Beats "premium" isn't because of superior build/sound quality. It's all because of marketing, getting high profile musicians and other celebrities to be seen wearing the headphones thus making them cool to teenagers.

Is a Rolex a premium brand?

A $30 digital casio tells time just as accurately- if not more accurately.  So by that criteria, a Rolex is "overpriced"- therefore, not "premium".

Overpriced is relative.  What's overpriced to you isn't to others.  I used German cars as an example earlier.  I don't and won't own one because they are overpriced in my eyes- but to others, they are priced fairly.

There are plenty of Android users that say Apple products are overpriced and have worse specs than their phone.

Rolex, BMW, Apple, and Beats are all premium brands.  Whether you choose to own one or what you're personal opinion is of them doesn't change that.

• Reply 43 of 168
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I don't consider overpriced to be premium. I pay a premium for Apple products because I believe their quality, ecosystem, customer service, etc. is better than anyone else's. The Beats "premium" isn't because of superior build/sound quality. It's all because of marketing, getting high profile musicians and other celebrities to be seen wearing the headphones thus making them cool to teenagers.

Why doesn't Apple just start to make Apple jeans? 

If it's all about making a quick buck, and just riding on a trend or a fad, then they might as well.

To me, Beats represents the opposite of what Apple represents. Apple is no trend or a fad.

• Reply 44 of 168
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Yeah, that's the real reason. You offer a brilliant and well thought out analysis. Anybody who thinks that the Beats deal is questionable and anybody who thinks that Beats headphones aren't good are really just posting from their computers while donning white hoods.

As for me, I'm off to a klan meeting, right after I finish up with this post. I also have a confederate flag as my desktop picture.

LOL
  • Reply 45 of 168
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    ireland wrote: »
    and not voting for.

Enough with politics on AI already ... why inflame the thread?
  • Reply 46 of 168
    andysol wrote: »
    A $30 digital casio tells time just as accurately- if not more accurately.  So by that criteria, a Rolex is "overpriced"- therefore, not "premium".

Overpriced is relative.  What's overpriced to you isn't to others.  I used German cars as an example earlier.  I don't and won't own one because they are overpriced in my eyes- but to others, they are priced fairly.
    There are plenty of Android users that say Apple products are overpriced and have worse specs than their phone.

Rolex, BMW, Apple, and Beats are all premium brands.  Whether you choose to own one or what you're personal opinion is of them doesn't change that.

I have to correct you there. I say this as an owner of a beautiful Rolex which i do consider nothing other than jewelry ... A $30 digital Casio keeps far more accurate time than a Rolex! :D

There are few equivalents to Apple where quality, reliability and luxury overlap so much. German cars are a nightmare for weird issues in my experience, we've owned several of various well known high end brands. My all time favorite (NOT) was an Audi A8 that decided just as we were leaving it at Tampa International Airport that locking the doors also meant lowering all the windows. Yes we left it that way, or miss a flight, for a week and it was still there when we got back much to our surprise. Don't get me started on Mercedes!
  • Reply 47 of 168
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I think we all know and understand your view point based on the known facts. It is a perfectly reasonable reaction. There is surely a possibility though, that there is more going on that any of us know at this point. Declaratory statements such as "It's all because ..." are a bit risky when you don't know anything other than rumor and speculation.
    My "it's all because" statement was about why Beats headphones are successful.
  • Reply 48 of 168
    justp1ayinjustp1ayin Posts: 213member
    Oh tallest skill thanks for blessing us with your humor , tell us another joke!!

As for the rest of you. Like I said, no need to address me on the subject, just reply to all the posters who had a comment about him blowing it all on houses and cars instead. I'm sure they are just saying that cause the don't like the sound quality of Beats.
  • Reply 49 of 168
    rogifan wrote: »
    My "it's all because" statement was about why Beats headphones are successful.

Oh ok, sorry I read it as meaning why Apple bought them ... my bad.
  • Reply 50 of 168
    And for the Donald trump comparisons. The difference is that Donald was rich when he was born, Dre wasn't.

Regardless, I guess I'm just out of line for looking at what people have achieved in their lives, as opposed to how they act in public (when they just doubled their net worth and were celebrating)
  • Reply 51 of 168

I guess it all comes down to how one defines the word premium. For me, in the context of Apple, it means superior quality. For others it might mean expensive, irrespective of quality.
  • Reply 52 of 168
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    It doesn't make sense unless Apple can sell more *Apple* hardware after the deal.

And it absolutely doesn't make sense for Apple to spend $3B so they can sell aftermarket accessories, especially if they don't brand them Apple.

They're not going to pursue the streaming service solely as a money-making venture - Apple is hardware, they have iTunes and iCloud and such as value added services to make the Apple hardware more valuable and appealing, and it's the Apple hardware that earns them the vast majority of their revenue and profit. To change their business model with this purchase and suddenly start pursuing non-hardware as real revenue streams in their own right is illogical.

There's something else here, either the whole thing is a bogus rumour, or they're after something else entirely - perhaps just the streaming service, which will be rebranded and incorporated into their existing offering, followed by the dumping of the accessories division. Leaving the Beats brand alive after the deal would be extremely strange.

Here:
    Fortune 130

The increase in net sales of iTunes, Software and Services in the first quarter of 2014 compared to the first quarter of 2013 was due to growth in net sales from the iTunes Store, AppleCare and licensing. The iTunes Store generated a total of $2.4 billion in net sales during the first quarter of 2014 versus $2.1 billion during the first quarter of 2013. Growth in the iTunes Store, which includes the App Store, the Mac App Store and the iBooks Store, was driven by increases in revenue from App sales reflecting continued growth in the installed base of iOS devices and the expansion in the number of third-party iOS Apps available. Net sales of digital content, including music, movies, TV shows and books, from the iTunes Store was relatively flat in the first quarter of 2014 compared to the first quarter of 2013.
    Apple Inc. Form 10-Q.

During the last quarter Apple changed the pricing for iWork and OS X to zero[1].

I estimate the net effect to have been a reduction in revenues from those software titles of about $350 million for the quarter. Nevertheless, increases in services and app revenues means that the iTunes total reported revenues increased to a new record.

The total with estimated contributions by media and service components is shown below right.

Emphasis, mine.

http://www.asymco.com/2014/02/10/fortune-130/

And, here:

http://www.asymco.com/2014/05/09/measuring-not-getting-the-cloud/#disqus_thread

Look at these and note what is happening to Apple's content and services business categories. Especialy what is happening with Music vis a vis Services.

IMO. Apple understands that they need to do something to offset the decline in music revenues. I suspect, they think the Beats Streaming Service will goose the music revenues -- and is exactly what Apple needs for the next 5 years (or so).

Even to a company the size of the Fortune 130, the acquisition price is a reasonable amount.
  • Reply 53 of 168
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by justp1ayin View Post

Oh tallest skill thanks for blessing us with your humor , tell us another joke!!

Oh, I could never match your level of humor. I mean, accusing an entire website of being racist with absolutely no evidence to back you up? That’s gold, Jerry, gold!

Like I said, no need to address me on the subject…

No, sorry, that’s not how this works. You make a claim, you back it up. Either do that or don’t bother posting your dreck.

• Reply 54 of 168
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Why doesn't Apple just start to make Apple jeans? 

If it's all about making a quick buck, and just riding on a trend or a fad, then they might as well.

To me, Beats represents the opposite of what Apple represents. Apple is no trend or a fad.
    As I said in another thread those Samsung ads must have really stung. Maybe Apple needs to replace Phil Schiller and the marketing team. I'm sure they could do it for a lot less than $3B. :D
  • Reply 55 of 168
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

Leaving the Beats brand alive after the deal would be extremely strange.

Beets. By Apple.

• Reply 56 of 168
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I don't think he should be an executive because he acts like a fool in public.  I don't want Donald Trump as an executive either.  There- now you can't throw the race card or lack of success as a reason.  My reason- they both don't display what Apple is.  Elegant, Classy, Smart, and Sophisticated. If you think Dr. Dre is elegant, classy, and sophisticated- than you are misguided.

These terms elegant, classy and sophisticated are heavily based on a culture's current viewpoints. Based on that criteria I don't think the New Balance and jeans wearing Steve Jobs who would readily speak his mind falls into any of those categories. But did we care? I didn't. My interests begin and end with with wanting the best possible technology for a given time in my life. I felt that Steve Jobs was pinnacle to that happening; not just within Apple but invigorating others to want to follow his lead, even if most competitors failed miserably.

Now if you had said you didn't want racism, homophobia, or misogyny at Apple, I could have gotten behind that argument. However, I can't recall anything from Dre in that regard except from his Chronic albums in 2001 and 1992, and N.W.A. in the 80's, and I'd say that it's all become much less. But how much of that is him and how much his character for the album? Scratch that last question as I think it's irrelevant if it's not clear you're clearly playing a role. Did Steve Jobs ever exhibit any of those traits? The only one I know about is about him as a father which could be tied to misogyny but that's only a circumstantial thread without any direct proof of anything.

Bottom line, being elegant, classy, and sophisticated have to be thrown out because Steve Jobs wasn't even though the products he sold were, but other traits that relate to civil rights and equality should be considered. Does Andre Young in 2014 exhibit any of those qualities?

Finally, is it then fine for Apple to buy the company so long as Young isn't made a regular executive at Apple. IOW, so long as his role, if any, is no more than being a consultant with Iovine for the music side of the iTunes segment of business?
  • Reply 57 of 168
    Enough with politics on AI already ... why inflame the thread?

Chill.
  • Reply 58 of 168
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    justp1ayin wrote: »
    (when they just doubled their net worth and were celebrating)

LOL That's a good point. Looking at it from that persecutive, if that video is about an acquisition by Apple for $3.2 billion, he's way more reserved that I would be.

rogifan wrote: »
    As I said in another thread those Samsung ads must have really stung.

What do you mean?
  • Reply 59 of 168
    solipsismx wrote: »

LOL That's a good point. Looking at it from that persecutive, if that video is about an acquisition by Apple for $3.2 billion, he's way more reserved that I would be.

I'd be comatose for a few weeks I think, not through alcohol either ...
  • Reply 60 of 168
    For tallest: didn't even have to look far.

Dre: "Yo Ive. What's going down Mofo?"
    Jony Ive: "Uhhhhhh........."
    Dre: "What's the matter n***ger.? You never seen a Mother F**king Hip Hop Billionaire?"
    Dre: "Shutup fool. Listen up. The next iPhone will be called the iBling and I want a huge gold chain attached to it so people can wear it around their necks"
    Dre: "I said shutup white boy!!!! Just listen!!!! I also want a 9mm designed into it with a quick release clip cuz you never no when a gangster needs some heat. Know what I'm saying Mofo?"
    Jony Ive: "Uhhhhhh.........Tim....I quit"

And I never accused the whole board. Just the ones who posed these comments. But don't get all touchy, neither you or I can change whatever apple has planned. It's all gonna be ok