'Beats by Apple' viewed as a culturally compatible corporate marriage

Comments

• Reply 21 of 88
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

How can you say?  

If you tell the samething to Cook, he would reply... "Steve asked us to not to think what would Steve do."  

So, Tim had listened to his inner voice and went ahead. :D

// I love Tim, by the way.  He is the best one for Apple now. No doubt.

I think you missed the /s part LOL

• Reply 22 of 88
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

The headphones are crap- just buy the music service.

Good luck trying to control the music people- especially given they have rap background.

Does this rap influence mean Apple will get their own Air Jordan next- the Apple Jordan?

May be, Apple needs these headphones to bury in their sensors and all etc.  And, Beats is already established brands... why would Apple reinvent?  So, went with this deal. But I dont like this. :D

• Reply 23 of 88
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

The headphones are crap- 

I'll repost something that I posted on the other Beats-story-du-heure:

-----

Oh, enough with this silly headphone snobbery. It would be just tiresome if it weren't so laughably off.

Regardless of what you think or say, with lossy AAC/MP3 files, having a great versus a mediocre headphone just gets you.... mediocre sound. (As to the bass-heavy critique -- that others have brought up -- I wish people would just change the equalizer preset and stop the whining).

• Reply 24 of 88
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote: "He noted the appeal of Beats to both young users as well as black Americans, given the strong reputation Beats products carry in those demographics."

I said this very thing in a previous thread about this. Hate to say it and I am sure to get flamed for it but Apple products are viewed as being for upwardly mobile whites. Yes there are more minorities represented more recently in Apple advertisements but for the most part Apple products appear to be targeted to a white market. That's the way of the world (Earth, Wind, and Fire) but time will tell if this really pans out. It is a smart move if that is what Apple is aiming for. Besides, I do like Dre much better than P-Dummy.
    I suppose then Apple needs to make a super cheap iPhone too. And iPad and Macs. So they can capture the non upwardly mobile market.
  • Reply 25 of 88
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Don't forget sites that confirm this acquisition, 13 hours ago!

http://www.startupsmart.com.au/technology/five-reasons-why-apple-has-bought-headphone-company-beats-by-dr-dre/2014051212262.html

"Five reasons why Apple has bought headphone company Beats (by Dr Dre)"

Maybe they did it because they have such a classy and colourful headphone?

No .... It's so Apple can patent wearing a baseball cap backwards, .. $3.2 B ... it's a steal! 1000
  • Reply 26 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I suppose then Apple needs to make a super cheap iPhone too. And iPad and Macs. So they can capture the non upwardly mobile market.

Maybe...

• Reply 27 of 88
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Let's hope -- given that there's already a sub-brand in the current Beats line-up -- that it'll be called iBeats.

Who would possibly be the celebrity endorser for that line..? I hesitate to ask...

• Reply 28 of 88
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

The brand has a widespread reputation. The music side has a lot of users and makes money and the hardware side is making a lot of cash selling cheaply made, poor sounding headphones. Apple don't make the greatest earphones so maybe Apple will set to the design and actually improve the Beats headphones and make their own in ear "earpods" better too.

Beats needs less bass and earpods need more bass. There must be a good middle ground.

• Reply 29 of 88
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    No .... It's so Apple can patent wearing a baseball cap backwards, .. $3.2 B ... it's a steal!

[VIDEO]

Think I'll check out on this whole acqui-rumour. Had some laughs, and read insightful views from many posters - for that: thanks. Will Apple buy them: Beats me.
  • Reply 30 of 88
    Boy if it turns out there is something none of us knew about and it is a huge success down the line, there is going to be a lot of eating crow around here ... yes we keep records ... The Dvorak Hall of Fame Shame Award could be up for votes. :D
    I've already said I'm willing to eat crow if I'm wrong about all this. I just find this particular headline and article amusing. :D
  • Reply 31 of 88
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

In other words: 'I am as confused about this as you are, but I know Apple isn't dumb so I'll try to find a positive explanation for this rumoured seemingly nonsensical acquisition.'

Myself I would rather Apple had used that 3.2B to buy Twitter 2 or 3 years ago. Or one third of it to buy Instagram and bundling the network into every iPhone as part of the Photos app package. But especially Twitter. If there was ever a social network that fit Apple it would be Twitter. You could argue that they didn't need Twitter, but Ping was an effort on Apple's part to build a social network. Rather than bother trying to build one they could have simply bought the best one. And they could use their huge hardware profits to further improve Twitter, giving users a better UI with better developer support and a more refined experience. And one of those two big social networks built into every iPhone would be from Apple now. That'd be a huge deal I think.

I just don't get this Beats acquisition. Let's see what Cook has to say on the matter.

• Reply 32 of 88
    Who would possibly be the celebrity endorser for that line..? I hesitate to ask...
    Using the letter I next to Beats is probably not good marketing. Although Apple's latest iPhone commercial uses a song that's about big penises so I guess anything is possible. ;)
  • Reply 33 of 88
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Let's hope -- given that there's already a sub-brand in the current Beats line-up -- that it'll be called iBeats.

http://bit.ly/1lC5a09

• Reply 34 of 88
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    I guess we will see where this shakes out soon enough. Can't blame Dre though. I would sell to Apple too for that kind of cash. Whatever happens it will be interesting.
  • Reply 35 of 88
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Quote: "He noted the appeal of Beats to both young users as well as black Americans, given the strong reputation Beats products carry in those demographics."

I said this very thing in a previous thread about this. Hate to say it and I am sure to get flamed for it but Apple products are viewed as being for upwardly mobile whites. Yes there are more minorities represented more recently in Apple advertisements but for the most part Apple products appear to be targeted to a white market. That's the way of the world (Earth, Wind, and Fire) but time will tell if this really pans out. It is a smart move if that is what Apple is aiming for. Besides, I do like Dre much better than P-Dummy.

In the music, audio production world Mac's are it and have been from the very beginning, for anyone doing music or audio production of any type. With companies like Algoriddim iPads/iPhone are being use by a wide range of people. Apple's iOS ecosystem is where the best mobile audio apps are, the competition? there is none Android has a sight problem with audio latency and profit for the developers.

http://www.algoriddim.com

http://www.algoriddim.com/hardware

PS Algoriddim would be great company to pick up, but on the hand you can't own everything nor should you.

• Reply 36 of 88
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Does Apple normally deny rumours within the first couple of days? If so, this acquisition might very well be true, no matter what the media says or blogs blog.

Apple doesn't comment on rumors. And they shouldn't either.
    rogifan wrote: »
    Since we're quoting analyst notes to investors...

http://bgr.com/2014/05/12/apple-beats-acquisition-celebrity-endorsements/

Apple doesn't pay people to use its products (product placement is different). Celebs already use Apple products prior to advertising celebs with the idevices.
  • Reply 37 of 88

Wow, that's a particularly close-minded comment. 

"Good luck trying to control the music people- especially given they have rap background."

• Reply 38 of 88
    Quote:

The headphones are crap- just buy the music service.

Good luck trying to control the music people- especially given they have rap background.

Does this rap influence mean Apple will get their own Air Jordan next- the Apple Jordan?

Wow.  Tell me more about people with a "rap background."

You do understand the difference between entertainment and business or does that confuse you?

• Reply 39 of 88
    3.2M is a typo at the end of the article. Should be 3.2B
  • Reply 40 of 88
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    I'll repost something that I posted on the other Beats-story-du-heure:
    Oh, enough with this silly headphone snobbery. It would be just tiresome if it weren't so laughably off.

Regardless of what you think or say, with lossy AAC/MP3 files, having a great versus a mediocre headphone just gets you.... mediocre sound. (As to the bass-heavy critique -- that others have brought up -- I wish people would just change the equalizer preset and stop the whining).

Try listening to anything other than rap or hip-hop on them - they fail miserably. Especially anything symphonic. They are well marketed crap.