Omsignal 'smart shirts' move activity tracking from the wrist to the chest

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2014
Fitness buffs and "quantified self" aficionados now have a new, questionably fashionable way to monitor their bodies' status thanks to a new line of compression shirts that come with a network of embedded sensors.

The shirts are interwoven with a set of sensors that track heart rate, breathing rate, breathing depth, activity intensity, steps walked, calories burned, and heart rate variability. Data is transmitted from the shirts' sensors to a small "black box" that users are asked to clip onto their shirt, which in turn relays the information to a companion iOS app via a Bluetooth 4.0 signal.

Vital signs are collated by the app and are tracked by "RPM" and "Fuel" gauges. OMSignal says that the Fuel gauge tells users how much energy their body has left, while the RPM gauge visualizes their current level of focus and physical stress.

While wearing the shirt, the app will alert users when certain parameters run out of healthy norms. Gym goers might receive a notification that their breathing is too shallow, for example, while office workers might be reminded to get up and stretch if they have been sitting for too long.

According to OMSignal, the black box is good for up to 30 hours of activity tracking between recharges. The shirts themselves are not powered, and they are machine washable -- though the black box is merely "water resistant" and will deflect sweat and light rain, though it should not be worn while swimming.

OMsignal shirts are available for pre-order directly from the manufacturer and are slated to ship this summer. A single long-sleeved shirt and black box set comes in at $199, while sleeveless and short sleeved versions are also available.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

EDIT:

I commented on wrong thread.

• Reply 2 of 12
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    ireland wrote: »
    In other words: 'I am as confused about this as you are, but I know Apple isn't dumb so I'll try to find a positive explanation for this rumoured acquisition.'

Myself I would rather Apple had used that 3.2B to buy Twitter 2 or 3 years ago. Or one third of it to buy Instagram and bundling the network into every iPhone as part of the Photos app package.

Damn I missed where they acquired this. Link?

In other news Dolly Parton had to return her shirt when her iPhone exploded during testing.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Damn I missed where they acquired this. Link?

Wrong thread, sorry.

• Reply 4 of 12
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    ...Fuel gauge tells users how much energy their body has left, while the RPM gauge visualizes their current level of focus and physical stress...

...Gym goers might receive a notification that their breathing is too shallow...

...office workers might be reminded to get up and stretch if they have been sitting for too long.

One would think people would be able to tell things like these themselves, especially since mankind has already done so for centuries.

Who thinks this product is great? Wants to record every single tiddybitty in bodily changes? Will act upon what the app tells you?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Great product, could be successful if adapted for babies. I remember 7 years ago with our baby boy when he was all wrapped up in thick layers of cloth sleeping on the balcony in cold winter. It would allow to track a baby's warmth, without taking off all those cloths when in the cold. Or heartbeat or breathing, if you are an overcautious parent. But as with all those body monitoring gadgets, if you're good at what your doing you don't really need this as you can feel most of it. Just listen to your body.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Just listen to your body.

Fully agree. Just don't get why someone would leave their baby out on the balcony overnight?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    not overnight, just for a good 2 hours sleep in the afternoon. just the nose sticking out, sleeping perfectly. it's the scandinavian way ;-)
  • Reply 8 of 12
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    ireland wrote: »
    Wrong thread, sorry.

Than heavens lol, had me worried.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    nicwalmsleynicwalmsley Posts: 117member
    Saw a guy walking down the street watching his iPad mini and thought, have it built into your jacket over your chest with a spring loaded lever that can pop it out to viewing angle when you want.

Laugh all you want. Shoes were weird once.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Fully agree. Just don't get why someone would leave their baby out on the balcony overnight?

I disagree. Ever seen professionals train for sports? They have coaches and often videos of themselves. When you're "in the zone", something is happening very quickly, and/or too much is happening at once it's hard to know exactly what is going on and how you can make yourself more efficient. I think this could be a great asset to increasing your speed, duration, agility, stamina, performance, etc.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    'Questionably' was the only word needed in the article to accompany that photo of the shirt.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    solipsismx wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    Fully agree.

I disagree. Ever seen professionals train for sports? They have coaches and often videos of themselves. When you're "in the zone", something is happening very quickly, and/or too much is happening at once it's hard to know exactly what is going on and how you can make yourself more efficient. I think this could be a great asset to increasing your speed, duration, agility, stamina, performance, etc.

That's true. Professional athletes indeed make use of video, and high-tech clothing in order to gain just that little extra speed/performance. However, I don't think a single cloth design is going to do it; you'll need a specific design for each specific sport.
    Nike's full-body track suit made of recycled polyester and plastic bottles. On the arms and legs are raised dots, reminiscent of dimples on a golf ball, that are designed to reduce drag. The company claims the suit is 0.023 second faster in the 100-meter sprint than Nike's previous suits. That may seem minuscule, but new world records in the 100 meters are often broken by tenths or hundredths of a second.

But that's only for running, not an end-all solution, as the shirt in article implies (to me). That Nike shirt does seem to help, a little bit, but way less than other things, like nutrition:
    100-meter sprint: Athletes' performance improved 24 percent over time, but only 4 percent was attributable to tighter aerodynamic clothing. The other 20 percent was because of improvements in physiology, nutrition, coaching, better running tracks and other factors.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/olympics/articles/2012/09/06/20120906olympics-new-performance-devices.html

I for one don't think this particular shirt will help me, (i'm not a pro anyway) and they're quite expensive:

$240 for one shirt, $340 for two or $450 for four shirts - regular price (the article lists their promo price, applies on all shirts ATM). And that includes one Tracking Module, obviously. To me it makes more sense to have dedicated sensors and wear what you like, from a proven brand, that has a variety of options for all weather types.

They do have one thing that peaks my interest: a smartphone sleeve, $29