Facebook for iOS hits version 10.0 with 'write now, post later' feature, speed enhancements

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    webweaselwebweasel Posts: 137member

I have found a way round this.  Create a group friend list* called (say) 'all friends'.  Add all your friends to it.  Drag it up to the top of the left hand side bar so it sits under the news feed.  Use this instead of the news feed.  It has far fewer adverts / suggested posts, it shows you stuff from all your friends, not just the ones Facebook thinks you might be interested in hearing from and it remains resolutely in chronological order.

Edit: Sloppy terminology from me.  Should have said Friend list.  Go to 'Friends' in the side bar, click on 'more' and create a list.

• Reply 22 of 34
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    webweasel wrote: »
    I have found a way round this.  Create a group called (say) 'all friends'.  Add all your friends to it.  Drag it up to the top of the left hand side bar so it sits under the news feed.  Use this instead of the news feed.  It has far fewer adverts / suggested posts, it shows you stuff from all your friends, not just the ones Facebook thinks you might be interested in hearing from and it remains resolutely in chronological order.

Does this solution work on the mobile app?

I already have the "Recent Posts" URL bookmarked on my desktop browser. It's not a problem there.

The problem is the iOS app... forcing "Top Stories" instead.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Old post
    AD
    Older post
    AD
    Even older post
    AD

Are these ads in Flash? Cause I'm not seeing them, and that might be because I don't have Flash installed on my Mac.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Does this solution work on the mobile app?

I already have the "Recent Posts" URL bookmarked on my desktop browser. It's not a problem there.

The problem is the iOS app... forcing "Top Stories" instead.

Yup,  I use it all the time.  The only thing is that it will most times default to the news feed, so you have to remember to go back to the sidebar and check.

Edit: Not sure you can set up groups from the app though.

• Reply 25 of 34

Yup,  I use it all the time.  The only thing is that it will most times default to the news feed, so you have to remember to go back to the sidebar and check.

Edit: Not sure you can set up groups from the app though.

Awesome... I'll check it out :)
  • Reply 26 of 34

Mike - I've amended my original post because it was badly worded.  It's not a 'group' you set up exactly, it's a 'friend list'.

• Reply 27 of 34
    philboogie wrote: »
    Are these ads in Flash? Cause I'm not seeing them, and that might be because I don't have Flash installed on my Mac.

I was talking about the iOS app... and the ads were what they call "Sponsored Posts"

Like I said before... I don't have a problem with Facebook making money with ads or "Sponsored Posts"

I just want the app to default to "Most Recent" instead of what they think are my "Top Stories"

Here are the timestamps of the "Top Stories" I see right now in the default view in the iOS Facebook app:

5 minutes ago
    2 hours ago
    8 hours ago
    Sponsored post - Uber
    46 minutes ago
    4 hours ago
    4 hours ago
    3 hours ago
    Yesterday
    1 hour ago
    4 hours ago
    5 hours ago
    5 hours ago
    Yesterday
    Yesterday
    6 hours ago
    Suggested App - Smart Alarm Clock
    8 hours ago
    5 hours ago

And here's what I see when I manually switch to "Most Recent"

Just now
    2 minutes ago
    5 minutes ago
    Suggested App - Game of War: Fire Age
    5 minutes ago
    10 minutes ago
    11 minutes ago
    13 minutes ago
    14 minutes ago
    14 minutes ago
    15 minutes ago
    16 minutes ago
    20 minutes ago
    22 minutes ago
    23 minutes ago
    25 minutes ago
    26 minutes ago
    29 minutes ago
    30 minutes ago

I just want to see the feed as it happens.. instead of Facebook deciding what I want to see.

To switch to "Most Recent" in the old iOS Facebook app... it took a simple swipe and a single tap. I did it often.

Now it's buried deep in a menu and requires 3 taps.

In short... "Top Stories" sucks.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    Mike - I've amended my original post because it was badly worded.  It's not a 'group' you set up exactly, it's a 'friend list'.

Ok.... but how do you get the iOS Facebook app to default to this new friends list instead of "Top Stories" ?

That's the big issue here.

I don't want to have to manually select a list each time I open the Facebook app.

I just want "Most Recent" to be what I see all the time.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    I was talking about the iOS app...

Sorry, I totally missed that, all the while it was right in front of me.

In short... "Top Stories" sucks.

I see that now. Wow. Would using Safari instead of their native app help with that? I do, for the odd occasion I 'need' to check in on FB. (not a fan; hardly ever use it)
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

I don't want to have to manually select a list each time I open the Facebook app.

Well this doesn't quite do that.  Once you create the list it will appear in the sidebar.  You can then edit the sidebar to move it up to the top, directly under 'News Feed'.  You have to select it every so often as the app tends to default to the News Feed, but it is a damn sight easier than going through several sub menus to achieve the same thing.  It's also better because it is a comprehensive list of everything, not an edited list of things Facebook thinks you might be interested in.

• Reply 31 of 34
    Well this doesn't quite do that.  Once you create the list it will appear in the sidebar.  You can then edit the sidebar to move it up to the top, directly under 'News Feed'.  You have to select it every so often as the app tends to default to the News Feed, but it is a damn sight easier than going through several sub menus to achieve the same thing.  It's also better because it is a comprehensive list of everything, not an edited list of things Facebook thinks you might be interested in.

Ah gotcha.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    philboogie wrote: »
    I see that now. Wow. Would using Safari instead of their native app help with that? I do, for the odd occasion I 'need' to check in on FB. (not a fan; hardly ever use it)

Not really... the mobile web version of Facebook still has the same limitations.

Even with webweasel's suggestion... you still have to manually select a different list in order to get something that resembles "Most Recent"

More taps... more frustration. Ugh.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    FB app still sucks: you're writing a post or reply; phone call comes and you take it, end phone call and all your typing is gone.
    The app does not maintain its state.
    Getting a phone call on a phone should be expected and be handled properly...
  • Reply 34 of 34
    rcfa wrote: »
    FB app still sucks: you're writing a post or reply; phone call comes and you take it, end phone call and all your typing is gone.
    The app does not maintain its state.
    Getting a phone call on a phone should be expected and be handled properly...

"That's Facebook alright. For a stupid company they sure do dumb things".