Japanese court rules Samsung abused FRAND patents against Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    zaba wrote: »
    Confused, as I understand from this Apple didn't pay the FRAND licensing fee. Shame on you Apple!

The judge just capped the FRAND fee at the equivalent of $95,000. That was just decided this week. Samsung had been asking for payment that was not FRAND at all. So now Apple will gladly pay the reasonable rate set by the court. Did you even read the article?
  • Reply 22 of 41
    tastowetastowe Posts: 108member
    This is bullshit Japanese court. I don't agree with the samsung company. The South Korea Samsung company is bullshit.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    igrouchoigroucho Posts: 63member
    @zaba: This is FRAND negotiations, say company A owns a patent and company B wants/has to use it, the latter requests to negotiate the costs of adapting it. B will most likely have a reasonable notion of the sum as, say 100,000 USD. If A then demands 5 billion, B will certainly think this is way out inappropriate and unfair. This situation will not leave B the option of paying the 100,000 as A would not accept it. Is this so hard to understand? Apple has NEVER had the fair choice to redeem itself and has had no other option than to go ahead and use it anyway and let the courts decide. Why don't you stop your stupid babbling?
  • Reply 24 of 41
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Another country says "frak you" to Sammy. There has to be some real and meaningful punishment for Sammy's actions.

"Ahem" :\
  • Reply 25 of 41
    We all should boycott Samsung and Google...shame on these two corporate pigs...I don't think it is a matter of S Korean or US...it is a simple matter of being a piece of scumbag behavior by both of these jerks.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    But wait, you have yet to have Gatorguy educate you on why this is an incorrect ruling.

It was an incorrect ruling? In what way?

;)
  • Reply 27 of 41
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dequardo View Post

Wake me up if DED ever writes a balanced article.

This is not an opinion piece. He is reporting fact.

• Reply 28 of 41
    gpo344gpo344 Posts: 4member
    So why is Apple still using components from Samsung? Why haven't they replace Samsung? They should be doing everything they can to get components elsewhere.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    gpo344 wrote: »
    So why is Apple still using components from Samsung? Why haven't they replace Samsung? They should be doing everything they can to get components elsewhere.
    That's all well and good, as long as decent components are available in bulk elsewhere. Problem is, despite being a scuzzy company when it come to designing and selling consumer products, Samsung is pretty much peerless at volume manufacturing at the high end of semiconductor engineering. They're really good at it.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member
    Samsung is well known for ripping off companies' IP then using delay delay and delay in the courts when sued by others until the court cases become meaningless while it makes billions and crushes its competitors. Apple is just bigger than Sony and others that Samsung has fought. But even then, Samsung walks happily to the bank since violating other people's rights means very little to them while making tons of money does. Samsung does not mean creativity or even innovation. It means evil copyist.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gpo344 View Post

Because Samsung is the only company in the world that has the best manufacturing while creating the highest yields in the fastest possible time. No one can come close to them. So if Apple started using other components the quality that we love about our Apple products would suffer and there would be way more issues. 

Remember, Samsung Mobile is a separate company and is only under the same umbrella.

• Reply 32 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Don't forget the article from Mic Wright (kernelmag.com) "Samsung: power, corruption and lies", posted here by @Steve Constance who started a thread but didn't get any reactions on it. Since the Kernel is in makeover mode, I posted the article there, if that's ok with AI(?)

Thanks for posting. That is definitely a "glimpse behind the curtain" of Samsung (and chaebols in general) which Westerners don't normally see. It is unfortunate for that country that the chaebols have institutionalized familial cronyism and disproportionate political influence. 

• Reply 33 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

YES.

I know, I hate animated GIFs too, but gotta post this for the occasion:

• Reply 34 of 41
    thea1960thea1960 Posts: 2member
    woowowowowowoowowoowow
  • Reply 35 of 41
    thea1960thea1960 Posts: 2member
    ebvevevvrtetetert
  • Reply 36 of 41
    jacks89jacks89 Posts: 2member
    Samsung doesn't need to stop this. They are multibillion dollar company, small loss like this is just a spare change to them.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    krabbelenkrabbelen Posts: 243member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zaba View Post

Confused, as I understand from this Apple didn't pay the FRAND licensing fee. Shame on you Apple!

Samsung may be attempting to double-dip, so that needs to be determined first. They certainly have attempted to do so before. In other words, the patent(s) they may be attempting to collect royalties on from Apple may be covered by Apple's suppliers when the components were initially purchased (such as radio chipsets from Qualcomm, etc.)

If there is yet something that is not covered by royalties already paid, then Samsung needs to accept terms from Apple that are in line with what all others are paying (Fair and Non-Discriminatory). That is usually in the region of a few dollars at most, not some large percentage of the iPhone's total retail value of $650, as Samsung was attempting at one point! ...Samsung basically admitted they were holding the iPhone hostage when seeking injunction against sales (which they are not allowed to seek for FRAND patents, but repeatedly do; and which Apple may seek for IP infringement). Samsung essentially says:

"It doesn't matter how small a part of the mobile SEP technologies that our patent(s) represent, nor what anyone else has contributed to the standard; and we don't know and don't care how Apple went about creating and producing their phone; all that matters is that we believe Apple could not have created a phone without our patented technology; so, we will use this declaration as a counter-measure when Apple sues us for IP infringement whatever the courts around the world say about SEP and FRAND patents!"

Since everything Samsung does flies in the face of reality, logic and world opinion, they should really just pack up and move north of the border and be done with it. They have the mentality to be right at home there.

• Reply 39 of 41
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member

The best way to deal with Samscum is to boycott there products. Power to the consumer. And Apple would have paid the Frand if Samscum would have dealt fairly and asked for reasonable royalties which they did NOT! That's why they went to court so now Apple will pay them what the court has decided as reasonable royalties for the Frand and Apple agreed to that. That's what Apple would have done in the first place if Samscum wasn't who they are, scum!

• Reply 40 of 41
    tastowetastowe Posts: 108member
    The samsung are very dumb South Koreans because they did to stealing everything from America's things. I am will get my weapon and to point samsung company nose. I am not going to buy any samsung products no more. My next TVs is sony or Panasonic