Groupon eyes massive rollout of new 'Gnome' iPad-based POS system

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ipen View Post

Can they pick a better name?  gnome is the popular Linux UI.  I doubt gnome can run in ipad.

Never underestimate the spare time available among the Linux crowd...

• Reply 22 of 28
    heliahelia Posts: 170member
    That is what I call eye candy!
  • Reply 23 of 28
    jaaycojaayco Posts: 46member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

1) An iPad looks better.    :  

You never see a screen or know that its an ipad when it is concealed with that plastic or metal casing.  Its just a touch screen.  So, it does not matter.

2) The few $100s .... in the lower development costs :  

Not really!  An HTML5 application would bring more flexibility.  And, many are in development and some are running too!  If so, I have wide range of tablet sizes which would give me real freedom to choose - if I really want a bigger one or smaller one?

3) They are easier to maintain:

Agreed.  

4) A developer can develop an app for the iPad, and 

Agreed.

As a developer of both HTML5 applications and iPad Apps, I can tell you iPad apps are much easier to develop, just as desktop apps are easier to develop than Web apps (it's just no one wants them any more :) ). Regardless of anything else, you have complete control over the device - no messing with different browsers, updates etc. etc.

• Reply 24 of 28
    oneaburnsoneaburns Posts: 354member
    Whenever I see POS, my brain instantly thinks "piece of sh*t" and I have to then convert it to "point of sale."
  • Reply 25 of 28
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    oneaburns wrote: »
    Whenever I see POS, my brain instantly thinks "piece of sh*t" and I have to then convert it to "point of sale."

No need to convert if the POS is running on Windows.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

image Yes, I meant "bottom feeder" in the economic sense, not as an assault on anyone's character.

I think lawyers* would agree that it's more of a descriptive term than a character assault.

*The term 'lawyers' should not be intended to construe representation of all individuals practicing in a legal profession either currently, at any time in the past, or at any time in the future.  Statements made herein with respect to lawyers in general, any individual laywer, or any group of lawyers either associated with one another or unassociated are not intended to provide any factual or objective representation of such lawyer or lawyers.  

• Reply 27 of 28
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    daven wrote: »
    My impression was that Groupons are generally a losing proposition for businesses because they attract bottom-feeder clients who come for the discount and do not stay as regular paying customers.
    How is Groupon different from any other coupon offer? Many people are always looking to pay no more than they need to. I put myself in that classification for many things. For example. I recently needed two batteries for my truck. I found the battery that I wanted and went to the manufacturer's site where they offered it at full retail (as many manufacturers do so as not to undercut their resellers). I then went to an auto parts web site and their price was full retail. I figured I could do better. I checked Amazon and it was cheaper but Amazon isn't an authorized reseller so if the battery had problems in warranty, the warranty would not be honored. I then searched the internet for "discount coupon 'name of auto parts store'". Bingo. Found a coupon where the price matched Amazon's but only if ordered online. No problem as the coupon included free shipping.

Back to Amazon for grins. Amazon, like Google, tracks your every move and viola, the new price was slightly less than before and beat the auto parts online price by very little (a dollar or two) and I placed the order online at the auto parts store. Because the auto parts store also included a $10 in-store credit coupon, I am money ahead by not going to Amazon. I saved about $40/battery and at two batteries the effort was worth it.

Long story short. If you have more money than you know what to do with, go ahead and pay full retail. If not, shop around. Walmart and Amazon are not always the cheapest option and when everyone sells the same widgets there is no need to pay top price.

p.s. Even if Amazon or Walmart was the cheapest price, I still shop at local stores when I can as they generally treat their employees better.

So you're happy to shop for most of the time at shops that treat employees worse, but occasionally shop at local stores to appease your guilty conscience. Got it.
  • Reply 28 of 28

Hi, actually I am glad to cooperate with Point of sale systems NJ . They provide any service for the comfort of the users, so I was lucky to start my business with them. Think you will like them too. Before them I had a big variety of companies to choose from, but at last stopped on them. At first I thought that their low prices is a new marketing trick for customers, but finally, they proved an opposite stuff.Hope it will help you...

By the way, Does anybody have an experience of cooperation with them, may be you know something more, that could be useful for me too, any successful or poor experience with them. Would be very much thankful for any useful info...

In advance thank's guys)))