Apple preps for WWDC 2014 with June 2 keynote announcement, new app for iPhone & iPad

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2014
With only a few weeks to go before the 2014 Worldwide Developers Conference, Apple on Wednesday released the official schedule for its annual developer event, confirming that it will hold a keynote presentation on Monday, June 2.

The keynote will kick off at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern, which is Apple's traditional start time. This year's event is expected to introduce the next-generation versions of its iOS mobile operating system and OS X Mac platform.

In addition, Apple on Wednesday updated its official WWDC application for iPhone and iPad, bringing a cleaner aesthetic in line with its overall iOS 7 design.

While last year's application carried a purple tint, Apple has opted for an orange-ish hue this year with WWDC version 2.0. In detailing what's new for the latest version, Apple simply said that users can "download this update to get all the latest news and information for WWDC 2014 as it's posted."

Maps and other information for the conference are presented on a plain white background. The icons for the four main categories of the application -- schedule, maps, news and videos -- have also been tweaked from last year's version.

Apple announced that WWDC 2014 would kick off on June 2 in early April. The sold-out conference will be held at Moscone West in San Francisco, Calif.

Events scheduled for WWDC 2014 include:
  • More than 100 technical sessions presented by Apple engineers on a wide range of topics for developing, deploying and integrating the latest iOS and OS X technologies;
  • more than 1,000 Apple engineers supporting over 100 hands-on labs and events to provide developers with code-level assistance, insight into optimal development techniques and guidance on how they can make the most of iOS and OS X technologies in their apps;
  • the latest innovations, features and capabilities of iOS and OS X, and how to enhance an app's functionality, performance, quality and design;
  • the opportunity to connect with thousands of fellow iOS and OS X developers from around the world--last year more than 60 countries were represented;
  • a new series of get togethers for attendees focused on particular topics with special guest speakers and activities;
    engaging and inspirational lunchtime sessions with leading minds and influencers from the worlds of technology, science and entertainment; and
  • Apple Design Awards which recognize iPhone, iPad and Mac apps that demonstrate technical excellence, innovation and outstanding design.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    With only a few weeks to go before the 2014 Worldwide Developers Conference [ . . . ]

a 'few weeks'? try '12 days'.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    I am really excited about this. I always watch the keynote as soon as possible. Maybe I can make it to watch it live this time.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I love how most of these are labeled TBA or "Shh can't tell you yet". :lol: One thing I hope we see in iOS 8 is darken colors being default, not something you turn on in accessibility settings. I have that turned on and the shade of orange in this app is so much better, especially against the white background.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

At least they didn’t make a FOURTH one this year… :no:

• Reply 5 of 26
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    Given that most developers weren't able to get seats and some can't afford the airfare, Apple really should consider hosting satellite conferences in other cities.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Here's some of the TBA session names. Love Apple's sense of humor.

No Comment
    This One Is Sealed
    Shhhh, Can't Tell You Yet
    It's Under Wraps
    Still Our Secret
    You'll Find Out In A Few Days
    It's Still Confidential
    It's Confidential
    We're Not Telling
    You'll Never Guess This One
    We Still Really Can't Say
    You're Just Going to Have to Wait a Little Longer
    It's Still Our Little Secret
    We'd Really Love To Tell You
    It's Still Under Wraps
    It's a Secret
    This One's a Doozy
    We're Not Telling Yet
  • Reply 7 of 26
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    inkling wrote: »
    Given that most developers weren't able to get seats and some can't afford the airfare, Apple really should consider hosting satellite conferences in other cities.

We've gone over this. Apple uses their own engineers for this so having even more engineers fly around the world to host secondary conferences isn't feasible.

But don't worry, the videos are uploaded very quickly so all the content by the trained engineers will be available without all the cost.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

Last year the app was broken for months, making it impossible to go back and review presentations.  I hope they do a better job of keeping this app functional this year...

• Reply 9 of 26
    solipsismx wrote: »
    We've gone over this. Apple uses their own engineers for this so having even more engineers fly around the world to host secondary conferences isn't feasible.

But don't worry, the videos are uploaded very quickly so all the content by the trained engineers will be available without all the cost.
    The videos are great and I remember a lot of them being available on demand same day.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Is it my imagination, or are there a lot more of these "TBA" sessions than in the past?
  • Reply 11 of 26

You guys sure complain a lot. It's like talking to my GF...I come here to get away from that! Oh well.

• Reply 12 of 26
    This is so exciting, hope I can watch it live!
  • Reply 13 of 26

So exciting!  Hope I can watch it live.  Wonder what new innovations apple will have for us this year!

• Reply 14 of 26
    So true. :)
  • Reply 15 of 26
    ricmacricmac Posts: 65member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

You guys sure complain a lot. It's like talking to my GF...I come here to get away from that! Oh well.

Some people think that complaining a lot shows that they are intelligent, power-users and pro's jaded by the whole Apple thing.

• Reply 16 of 26
    felikzfelikz Posts: 1member
    If anyone will be there, please ask those developers about screencall changes.. Why they remove beautiful big photos?
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RicMac View Post

Some people think that complaining a lot shows that they are intelligent, power-users and pro's jaded by the whole Apple thing.

Thanks Ric...it does seem to be the "default" reaction. Brings me down.... 

Ok, I'm back up again! :)

• Reply 18 of 26
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

That shade of orange is gorgeous, as is the gradient, and the thin border at the bottom to give the icon a bit of dimension. I wish they used that same look for all their iOS7 icons, with different colors. More saturated and less faded pastel-like. 

• Reply 19 of 26
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Get a new GF. Sucks to be with someone who is always a whiner and a downer. 

• Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Get a new GF. Sucks to be with someone who is always a whiner and a downer. 

Ok.