Facebook's iOS app now listens for identifiable TV & music when posting status updates

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Won't be long before Facebook announces 'he's jerking off in the shower, again.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ray Castillo View Post

Most of you on here are ignorant.... you have to OPT-IN... meaning if you don't want the feature... just ignore it...

How easy can it be?

It's not an "invasion of your privacy".... it's an option for those who want iOS to auto-detect what they are listening to instead of manually searching for it. A majority of the time I don't put what i'm listening to because I don't want to do the manual search. This would definitely make it easier.

However, your ignorance and stupid argument of invasion of privacy proves that a majority of consumer do not know how to use the products they purchase.

#ignoranceisnotbliss #endsoapbox

No one here is "ignorant" of the fact that it is an "opt in" feature.  It's pretty naive to be so confident that merely knowing "how to use the product" makes one impervious to privacy breaches.    And calling those who see the flaws here ignorant and stupid puts a capital N on that.

• Reply 23 of 31
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Here's one easy recent example of facebook negating a user opt setting just because they can.

From the Electronic Privacy Information Center only seven months ago.

"Facebook Removes Crucial Privacy Setting for Users’ Names : Facebook has begun removing a privacy setting that allowed users to opt-out from their name being included in its “Graph Search” feature. All users, even those who had previously decided to remove their name from searches, will now be included in Graph Search results."

Note how reading facebook's official explanation spins it so hard most people would have no idea that what they opted out of they are now being thrown into.

• Reply 24 of 31
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,799member
    Google, Twitter and Facebook uninstall for security and please of mind.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    danielchow wrote: »
    what if it detected a farting sound?

It'll assume you are watching a Samsung keynote speech.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    toysandmetoysandme Posts: 243member

Just when you thought Facebook couldn't get any creepier. Small wonder privacy advocates recommend that you don't use your real birth date when you sign up.

You probably shouldn't use your real name nor your own home/work ip either. 

• Reply 27 of 31
    toysandmetoysandme Posts: 243member

How the NSA & FBI made Facebook the perfect mass surveillance tool

The National Security Agency and the FBI teamed up in October 2010 to develop techniques for turning Facebook into a surveillance tool.

Documents released alongside security journalist Glenn Greenwald’s new book, “No Place To Hide,” reveal the NSA and FBI partnership, in which the two agencies developed techniques for exploiting Facebook chats, capturing private photos, collecting IP addresses, and gathering private profile data.

According to the slides below...

• Reply 28 of 31
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

I use a pseudonym on FB and barely post on there, however this is the tipping point. I've deleted the app from my iPhone, if I bother to check it from now on, it will only be via the browser version.

• Reply 29 of 31
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Facebook Post to Grandma's wall --

"Sent while watching 'MILF Bangers 14'"
  • Reply 30 of 31
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

i still can't get over the fact that people think their lives are so important that they feel the need to share everything.

Posted ironically in that you apparently felt your opinion on their thoughts were so important it had to be shared?

Well played.

• Reply 31 of 31
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

While optional, one more intrusion into our privacy. And I find it hard to believe that they won't save this data and create a rating service out of it, since Facebook's sample sizes will be far larger than anything Nielson does. So one more way for Facebook to make money out of privacy intrusion.

But most people who use Facebook probably won't care. People are frequently post every trivial aspect of their lives and don't mind tell us where they are at any given moment aren't going to care if Facebook reports what TV show they're watching.

But that's the part I don't get: once a person uses that "optional" choice to share information I no longer see an "intrusion into our privacy" issue.

While, yes, the attraction to monetize this will be irresistible at some point down the road I agree.