Led by Apple Inc. iPhone, smartphones now account for 87 percent of U.S. handsets

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    What the f*ck is wrong with you.

Oh come on, that was a totally valid comment.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

You'd have to be quite illiterate to be "confused" about the headline, the picture, or any other part of this article. 

Or obtusely unable to accept reality.

I didn't have my glasses on and I read the headline and didn't catch the comma.  Jeez. 

I am definitely NOT confused about the article.  It was just the headline that was a little misleading if one didn't catch the comma.  I didn't read the rest of the article because the headline is what was a little misleading due to a stupid comma.

I would have written it differently as to not add any confusion.  

It's not a big deal......

• Reply 23 of 43
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    The title also caused me to take a double take.

I have had several G&Ts and split a nice bottle on vino followed by several brandies and yet, "Led by Apple Inc. iPhone, smartphones now account for 87 percent of U.S. handsets" reads as "Led by Apple Inc. iPhone, smartphones now account for 87 percent of U.S. handsets" ... what is confusing?

Sorry, I am a paid up member of 'DED can do no wrong' :D . Seriously in a time when most media is bought and paid for by Samsung and Google people here criticize DED for being pro Apple on AI ...?
  • Reply 24 of 43
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The title also caused me to take a double take.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm pretty sure it was intentional.

Does anyone who reads this site regularly even question that?  Daniel is masterful at it, and he rarely slips up.  It is fair game, especially on a *fan* site and is, in fact, his job.

Changing facts into stories that support 'the team' is absolutely fair game:

Suppose data showed android ad impression share at 42% and Apple at 38%  Now suppose Android phones had 40% and tablets 2%.  Apple phones had 24% and iPads had 14%.   Apple had 52% of ad profits, Android 33%

Perfectly fair game for an Apple site or DED to say:

Android and Apple ad impressions are running neck and neck as Android users have Google push more ads to them.  iPad blows virtually non-existing Android tablet representation away with over 90% of tablet ad share! <Insert many trashy comments about android tablets here>

And if an Android fan should point out Android now passes Apple in ad share (which Apple fans crowed about when Apple was ahead)...  Pfffttt... ad share, who cares?  Apple still dominates PROFITS!  Scurry along you poor inferior Android user.

On an Android site I'd expect:

Android ad impressions surpass Apple's showing Apple's continuing decline in the smartphone space.  Android phones alone captured more share than iPhones and iPads *combined*!  Apple revenue still leads but its dominance is fast dwindling as it remains flat while Android ad revenue jumps nearly 25%!  Up to 33% from only 27% just a year ago, indicating Android ad revenues will surpass Apple's as early as next year!'  Remember when Apple dominated androids market share, number of apps, ad impressions, and profits?  All that's left for Apple fans to cling to are 'profits' and they'll be losing that soon as the price of ignoring market share inevitably demands to be paid!

Both give a radically different perception.  Both are representing the facts.  Both arguments will have a few avid fans supporting them insisting that the article presented to them confirms that their 'team' is right and the other side must be a bunch of dolts for not being able to see that their respective article is backed by factual data and the other side is just spewing giberish.

DED does occasionally get a little passionate and overstep- but he is usually quick to correct himself when he is actually wrong (ie DED:'Apple sales account for 80% of online sales during holiday quarter!')

My preference would be if he berated his critics a little less.  It's not really fair, because people get to come here and sometimes  harshly criticize something he put a lot of work into (I'll admit I'm guilty of sometimes too quickly and too harshly responding to some of his articles).  But that's part of the gig.  Some measure of smacking down a heckler is fair game- especially in a case like this where he tee'd up the bait and someone incorrectly called him out- but crossing the line into abuse diminishes the 'journalist' moniker.

The other behavior that I don't like that he does more than he should is mix actual quotes with his own take and then borderline represent them as actual quotes.

If Samsung were to tell investors in November:

"We plan on eventually a 64-bit device when we feel it is actually needed, and don't really have a timeline yet" -> DED -> "Samsung told investors last November that they plan on copying Apple's A7 processor, but didn't provide a timeline"

For all the hard work and really good articles he writes, those instances just make him lose a lot of credibility.  If he's happy at AI he can likely continue to get away with them.  If he plans on movin on up eventually they won't help his cause.

Barring those, his articles are always worth reading because he's smart, literate ( except the bit about its and it's =p ), knows his technology, and does thorough research.  Just read them knowing the 'Apple skew' is going to be there.  And don't call him out unless you're sure you're right :p

• Reply 25 of 43
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I have had several G&Ts and split a nice bottle on vino followed by several brandies and yet, "Led by Apple Inc. iPhone, smartphones now account for 87 percent of U.S. handsets" reads as "Led by Apple Inc. iPhone, smartphones now account for 87 percent of U.S. handsets" ... what is confusing?

Sorry, I am a paid up member of 'DED can do no wrong' :D . Seriously in a time when most media is bought and paid for by Samsung and Google people here criticize DED for being pro Apple on AI ...?

It's not confusing when I took a closer look, but when I skimmed the titles of the recent AI articles my mind read it as something like "iPhone now accounts for 87% of US market" or "Apple's smartphone now accounts for 87% of US market." Because that number didn't register as being realistic for all iPhones in the US market my brain told me to hold up and read it again, but the first impression is the same as what [@]drblank[/@] stated.

edit: Poorly worded headlines:

• Something Went Wrong in Jet Crash, Experts Say
    • Include Your Children When Baking Cookies
    • Police Begin Campaign to Run Down Jaywalkers
    • Drunks Get Nine Months in Violin Case
    • Iraqi Head Seeks Arms
    • Typhoon Rips Through Cemetery; Hundreds Dead
    • Prostitutes Appeal to Pope
    • Panda Mating Fails; Veterinarian Takes Over
    • British Left Waffles on Falkland Islands
    • Clinton Wins Budget; More Lies Ahead
    • Plane Too Close to Ground, Crash Probe Told
    • Miners Refuse to Work After Death
    • Juvenile Court to Try Shooting Defendant
    • Stolen Painting Found by Tree
    • Local High School Dropouts Cut in Half
    • War Dims Hope for Peace
    • If Strike Isn’t Settled Quickly, It May Last a While
    • Couple Slain; Police Suspect Homicide
    • Man Struck by Lightning Faces Battery Charge
    • New Study of Obesity Looks for Larger Test Group
    • Astronaut Takes Blame for Gas in Space
    • Kids Make Nutritious Snacks
    • Two Sisters Reunited after 18 Years in Checkout Counter
  • Reply 26 of 43
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    Is it really news that iPhone takes 1/2 the market on the two main carriers? As the second 2 it takes 1/3? It's expected, wait a year or two when iPhones had been on those markets longer as they have been less then AT&T and Verizon, As the analyst try to say that IOS is a shrinking market.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

You'd have to be quite illiterate to be "confused" about the headline, the picture, or any other part of this article. 

Or obtusely unable to accept reality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Oh come on, that was a totally valid comment.

Maybe in your world but it seems that quite a few people had to reread that title.

... but you think it's totally acceptable to insult people on here for questioning something that is purposely, imo, placed to create confusion.

Okay, I'll remember that.

• Reply 28 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Maybe in your world but it seems that quite a few people had to reread that title.

... but you think it's totally acceptable to insult people on here for questioning something that is purposely, imo, placed to create confusion.

Okay, I'll remember that.

This might get me dinged but you ever notice how DED/Corrections will insult somebody seemingly with impunity and then when he gets called on it he never responds yet the people who notice the insults get their comments deleted, get an infraction notice or banned entirely?

• Reply 29 of 43
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

This might get me dinged but you ever notice how DED/Corrections will insult somebody seemingly with impunity and then when he gets called on it he never responds yet the people who notice the insults get their comments deleted, get an infraction notice or banned entirely?

I honestly haven't noticed that.

I've called him on a couple of things. He, of course, insulted me. Sadly, for him, I was actually more correct than he was about the statements in question, and it was more than obvious, and it just made him look bad.

... and, of course, he then just stopped responding.

You will never ever get an apology or an actual correction from him. Usually just more insults, red herrings or silence.

• Reply 30 of 43
    sambirasambira Posts: 90member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I didn't have my glasses on and I read the headline and didn't catch the comma.  Jeez. 

I am definitely NOT confused about the article.  It was just the headline that was a little misleading if one didn't catch the comma.  I didn't read the rest of the article because the headline is what was a little misleading due to a stupid comma.

Quote:

So ya screwed up reading the headline.  Ya showed that ya screwed up by saying something about it in an open forum.  Ya get called out for your screw up.  Ya now have to defend your screw up by blaming the headline for being written poorly (or not as good as it could be) rather than just saying that ya screwed up.  Typical.

• Reply 31 of 43
    Just because the article is strictly, when carefully parsed, true doesn't make it not a lie.

The numbers you push are, to people designing, building and specifying apps and websites, largely irrelevant. It doesn't matter whether Apple or Samsung is the largest maker of devices in the US. At all. OS does matter, on the other hand. It looks like willful disregard.

Since you at no point said this, I had to take a minute to do the math myself, looking up the best operator numbers I can find. By top two OSs:
    iOS - 151 million
    An - 184 million

Huh. And do we think that the remaining 6 million small MNOs (US Cellular and on down) have any significant number of iOS devices? I don't.

So, I'm going to keep telling my clients, and everyone I present and give workshops to that you need to look at your own use rates and analytics, survey your users, but be aware that Android is the winner, worldwide and in the US, and the gap continues to grow. I may start emphasizing even more "no matter what you may hear in the tech press" to make sure they don't get distracted by articles like this.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    hes
    sambira wrote: »
    So ya screwed up reading the headline.  Ya showed that ya screwed up by saying something about it in an open forum.  Ya get called out for your screw up.  Ya now have to defend your screw up by blaming the headline for being written poorly (or not as good as it could be) rather than just saying that ya screwed up.  Typical.

He's good at that.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sambira View Post

Well, it was poorly written headline as it's very easy to miss the comma.  I'm not the only one in the world that missed it.  I know others that didn't see it either.  Not all of have perfect vision or are always wearing glasses to see a little tiny dot.  Most newspaper headlines with the major papers don't USUALLY use commas, probably for this very reason. 

Get over it.

• Reply 34 of 43
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    drblank wrote: »
    Well, it was poorly written headline as it's very easy to miss the comma.  I'm not the only one in the world that missed it.  I know others that didn't see it either.  Not all of have perfect vision or are always wearing glasses to see a little tiny dot.  Most newspaper headlines with the major papers don't USUALLY use commas, probably for this very reason. 

Get over it.

You can change the meaning of a lot of headlines wifh a carefully placed comma

This thread made me think of Patton Oswalt's brilliant and hilarious Twitter trolling last year.

• Reply 35 of 43
    Quote:

Get over it.

Sounds like someone needs a hug!!!!  Not much sleep at nap-time?

• Reply 36 of 43
    Quote:

Sounds like someone needs a hug!!!!  Not much sleep at nap-time?

OK, Mr. "I've only posted 68 comments on AI and I have nothing of value to add except for immature put downs."

Maybe you can actually add value to the discussions so there's something of value to talk about.  Otherwise, you might want to go to another forum.

My question to you is, what value could you possibly add to any discussion on AI.   Maybe I'll find out, but until you add value, you are of no value.

• Reply 37 of 43
    Quote:

OK, Mr. "I've only posted 68 comments on AI and I have nothing of value to add except for immature put downs."

Maybe you can actually add value to the discussions so there's something of value to talk about.  Otherwise, you might want to go to another forum.

My question to you is, what value could you possibly add to any discussion on AI.   Maybe I'll find out, but until you add value, you are of no value.

Oh, "Mr"...  Nice presupposition.  And talk about adding value to a discussion?  Like your comment to this discussion provided any value.  Please!!!  Oh and, does it make you feel you provide value by devaluing me?  Sounds like you actually missed your nap.

• Reply 38 of 43
    Quote:

Oh, "Mr"...  Nice presupposition.  And talk about adding value to a discussion?  Like your comment to this discussion provided any value.  Please!!!  Oh and, does it make you feel you provide value by devaluing me?  Sounds like you actually missed your nap.

Obsess much?  ENOUGH.

How old are you?  12?

Hopefully Sambira isn't your REAL first name.  Sounds like a name you see in cartons.  Now, go run along.  I'm sure you can find some Justin Bieber articles/photos on a website somewhere else.

• Reply 39 of 43
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    solipsismx wrote: »

It's not confusing when I took a closer look, but when I skimmed the titles of the recent AI articles my mind read it as something like "iPhone now accounts for 87% of US market" or "Apple's smartphone now accounts for 87% of US market." Because that number didn't register as being realistic for all iPhones in the US market my brain told me to hold up and read it again, but the first impression is the same as what [@]drblank[/@] stated.

edit: Poorly worded headlines:

• Something Went Wrong in Jet Crash, Experts Say
    • Include Your Children When Baking Cookies
    • Police Begin Campaign to Run Down Jaywalkers
    • Drunks Get Nine Months in Violin Case
    • Iraqi Head Seeks Arms
    • Typhoon Rips Through Cemetery; Hundreds Dead
    • Prostitutes Appeal to Pope
    • Panda Mating Fails; Veterinarian Takes Over
    • British Left Waffles on Falkland Islands
    • Clinton Wins Budget; More Lies Ahead
    • Plane Too Close to Ground, Crash Probe Told
    • Miners Refuse to Work After Death
    • Juvenile Court to Try Shooting Defendant
    • Stolen Painting Found by Tree
    • Local High School Dropouts Cut in Half
    • War Dims Hope for Peace
    • If Strike Isn’t Settled Quickly, It May Last a While
    • Couple Slain; Police Suspect Homicide
    • Man Struck by Lightning Faces Battery Charge
    • New Study of Obesity Looks for Larger Test Group
    • Astronaut Takes Blame for Gas in Space
    • Kids Make Nutritious Snacks
    • Two Sisters Reunited after 18 Years in Checkout Counter

Thanks for the laugh! Priceless headlines.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    drblank wrote: »
    sambira wrote: »

Get over it.

You're blaming correct grammar instead of your poor, slipshod reading? Are you a fandroid?