Nest CEO vows no ads in products as firm prepares to restart Protect smoke detector sales

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2014
Following a report that Google is eyeing ad placement on refrigerators, wearables and other connected devices, former Apple executive and Nest cofounder Tony Fadell said his company's thermostats will not be an outlet for such promotions.

Fadell

Earlier on Wednesday, a U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission filing revealed Google could one day serve targeted ads on car dashboards, thermostats, glasses and watches, "just to name a few possibilities."

The statement ruffled some feathers, however, as it seemed to imply the Internet search giant is at least considering using its $3.2 billion purchase of Nest Labs to further its advertising business, something the company promised would not happen.

Google subsequently noted the filing was made prior to the purchase of Nest and did not necessarily reflect its future product plans. The company said it is in contact with the SEC to correct the filing's language.

On Nest's side, Fadell issued his own statement in what appear to be an attempt to temper rampant speculation, telling Re/code that ads will not be displayed on the firm's Nest Learning Thermostat.

"Nest is being run independently from the rest of Google, with a separate management team, brand and culture," Fadell said. "For example, Nest has a paid-for business model, while Google has generally had an ads-supported business model. We have nothing against ads -- after all Nest does lots of advertising. We just don't think ads are right for the Nest user experience."

The emailed statement echoed sentiments discussed by Fadell in January covering data collection and privacy.

Revelations of Google's SEC filing come at an unfortunate time for Nest as the Consumer Product Safety Commission today announced the recall of some 440,000 Protect smoke and carbon monoxide detector units. Nest took the product off store shelves in April after it was discovered that the "Nest Wave" convenience function posed a potential safety risk.

With "wave," users can flail their hands in front of Protect to disable the built-in alarm, but a flaw in the device's software was causing the feature to be unintentionally activated.

Wednesday's decidedly negative press overshadowed Nest's announcement that it would be restarting sales of Protect "in a few weeks." As reported by The Wall Street Journal, the company will have the Nest Wave feature activated when the device returns to stores.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    cashxxcashxx Posts: 114member
    Too late you sold out and are Google's b!tch now!!
  • Reply 2 of 52
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,903member

Maybe he didn't get the memo about the ads...

• Reply 3 of 52
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    After seeing tha pic of the smoke alarm, this article seems a little silly.
    I mean, what kind of ads would be displayed on it or a thermostat?
  • Reply 4 of 52
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

I LOVE the idea of Android/Google appliances in my home!  Google can monitor my refrigerator and send me messages about what I should buy at the store.  Google Voice will listen to what I say to my wife, and match the perfect ads on my fridge to my topics of conversation.  And Google will keep a handy record of exactly when I get home, and how much electricity I am using, and more.  This will be in addition to all the great information Google already collects about what I search for, to whom I'm talking, and what messages I send or receive.  Thanks, Google, for watching over me!

/s

• Reply 5 of 52
    formosaformosa Posts: 261member

Nest is owned by Google, so what Fadell says essentially means nothing. Google can change its corporate policy at any time (or EULA for Nest), and Fadell can do nothing to stop it, despite his good intentions. Nest is just another (future) revenue stream (via ads) for Google.

• Reply 6 of 52
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Nest is basically describing itself as Filemaker Inc.

• Reply 7 of 52
    cali wrote: »
    After seeing tha pic of the smore alarm, this article seems a little silly.

"We pause control of your home heating and air-conditioning to deliver this important message from our sponsor: Friends, do you suffer from worry and loss of sleep over high costs of gas or electric? If so, press the reset button and a delivery of cannabis sativa will be rushed to your home without delay."
  • Reply 8 of 52
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,282member
    cali wrote: »
    After seeing tha pic of the smore alarm, this article seems a little silly.

The smoke detector doesn't currently have a display but google could force one on. You'd need good eyes to see them but you never know.
    The thermostat is different. It has a display and the iOS app definitely could have pop ups ads forced on them.
  • Reply 9 of 52
    eponymouseponymous Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by formosa View Post

Nest is owned by Google, so what Fadell says essentially means nothing. Google can change its corporate policy at any time (or EULA for Nest), and Fadell can do nothing to stop it, despite his good intentions. Nest is just another (future) revenue stream (via ads) for Google.

And Fadell has already been forced to go back on his promise regarding the collection of user data.  

• Reply 10 of 52
    The ads will be sound (voice and music) and triggered when you skip by. For example it might say something like, "Don't forget to pick up some douche cream today, Glasshole!".
  • Reply 11 of 52
    scotty321scotty321 Posts: 313member
    Um, Fadell, check the payer's name on your paycheck. It says Google. They make the decisions now. No matter how much you protest, nobody is going to believe you because you sold out and you don't make the decisions anymore.
  • Reply 12 of 52
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member

His company?  LOL.  Sorry man its Googles company now they own you.  And if Google decides they want ads on there thermostats and smoke alarms they will have it.  Wether you like it or not.

• Reply 13 of 52
    4ui82pcs4ui82pcs Posts: 2member
    Google employee troll
  • Reply 14 of 52
    4ui82pcs4ui82pcs Posts: 2member
    Google employee.
  • Reply 15 of 52
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

That has to be a record.

• Reply 16 of 52
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Nagging sweater ads when the heat is turned up too far would be awesome. #KeepItGreen
  • Reply 17 of 52
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,083member

right...

• Reply 18 of 52

"It has been 6 months since you changed the battery in your smoke detector. Consider xxxxx-brand batteries, the "zinc-top". While you're at it, why not buy them at Joe's home warehouse store, and get a case of furnace filters and a 30-pack of chicken Kiev's too."

Repeat endlessly until code from receipt is entered.

No thanks, no way!

• Reply 18 of 52
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,815member
    cashxx wrote: »
    Too late you sold out and are Google's b!tch now!!

I can see it now, 'Here is a 1 minute ad, after that we will call the fire department ... but only if you watch it all the way through ....'

I already disconnected my much loved Nest from my WiFi. I am so sad they sold their souls.
  • Reply 20 of 52
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,815member