Notifyr brings iOS notifications to the Mac; djay 2 adds 20 million songs

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2014
iPad-toting disk jockeys now have a wealth of new material to play with thanks to new Spotify integration in djay 2, while users who have been waiting for a way to broadcast iOS notifications to their Mac can do so with new entrant Notifyr.

Notifyr

Notifyr is actually a combination of two discrete apps: an iOS app, available in the App Store, and a companion app for Mac. After pairing the two, notifications that come in to a user's iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch are forwarded to the paired Mac and displayed in Notification Center.

Apps can be muted on an app-by-app basis to avoid doubling up notifications that users already receive on their Mac. Notifyr uses Bluetooth Low Energy to make the connection, and as such is only compatible with Bluetooth 4.0-enabled devices -- iPhone 4s and newer, 2011 or new MacBook Airs, 2012 or newer MacBook Pros, Late 2012 or newer iMacs, 2011 or newer Mac Minis, and the Late 2013 mac Pro.

Notifyr is available now as a $3.99, 1.8-megabyte download from the App Store.

djay 2

Long one of the most popular apps in the App Store, djay 2 received a major overhaul Thursday from creators Algoriddim. Topping the list is integration with streaming service Spotify, which the companies say will give users access to more than 20 million songs to use in their mixes.

Most of Spotify's core features are included, including library access and social sharing, while Echo Nest-powered song recommendations and Atomix Radio also make an appearance. A premium Spotify account is required, though the service offers a 7-day free trial.

Algoriddim has also added an all-new Audio FX section, providing users with "desktop-class" audio effects, wet-dry mixing, and Strip-based FX. Additionally, the company promises UI improvements, better filters, and "Lots of performance improvements and bug fixes."

djay 2 is available now as a $4.99, 57.5-megabyte download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I don't currently use Spotify, but total integration between Spotify and Djay 2 seems pretty cool. It even matches songs according to BPM and key. I have Djay 1, but that was limited to songs in your own iTunes library, and I think that they had to be downloaded first before you could use them. In Djay 2, you just stream from spotify, giving full access to 20 million tunes.

Some people are probably going to jump on me for expressing my honest opinion, but Apple should probably buy Spotify instead of Beats. Spotify has 10 million users. How many does Beats have again? :no: 

• Reply 2 of 6
    cinder6cinder6 Posts: 38member
    Kind of funny it takes a third party to deliver a feature Apple promised in Mavericks. I'm tempted, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with giving someone else unfettered access to my notifications.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,849member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I don't currently use Spotify, but total integration between Spotify and Djay 2 seems pretty cool. It even matches songs according to BPM and key. I have Djay 1, but that was limited to songs in your own iTunes library, and I think that they had to be downloaded first before you could use them. In Djay 2, you just stream from spotify, giving full access to 20 million tunes.

Some people are probably going to jump on me for expressing my honest opinion, but Apple should probably buy Spotify instead of Beats. Spotify has 10 million users. How many does Beats have again? :no: 

But Spotify makes no...profit with those 10 million freeloaders. none nada..streaming is a money losing business.

• Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Danox View Post

But Spotify makes no...profit with those 10 million freeloaders. none nada..streaming is a money losing business.

Yes, I know that Spotify hasn't turned a profit yet, but if streaming is so bad a business, why would Apple want Beats' streaming?

• Reply 5 of 6
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Yes, I know that Spotify hasn't turned a profit yet, but if streaming is so bad a business, why would Apple want Beats' streaming?

How do we know they do? Because some rumors have been floating around and sources have been leaking potentially fake information? Nothing has been said about anything, and until Apple confirms the acquisition, I will take any information regarding the purchase with a huge grain of salt.

• Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

How do we know they do? Because some rumors have been floating around and sources have been leaking potentially fake information? Nothing has been said about anything, and until Apple confirms the acquisition, I will take any information regarding the purchase with a huge grain of salt.

We don't know, and I agree with you. I was questioning the alleged rumor.