Google's VirusTotal adds desktop file analysis client for Apple's OS X

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    Even if you don't use google you still run a risk of them finding and using your info. That's why I stay away from All SOCIAL MEDIA, like Facebook etc.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Why?

Why would you check for something that will never be there by using the only instance of the thing for which you’re checking that will ever exist?

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Haha, that's like trying to cure AIDS with AIDS

Well, you know what they say, “Fight pustules with pustules.” 

Wait…

• Reply 23 of 27
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Haha, that's like trying to cure AIDS with AIDS

No, thank, you.

Luckily I had just put my coffee down before reading that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Czarembo View Post

No need for this as Clam AV takes care of my suspect Windows originating files.

This, basically.

• Reply 24 of 27
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Mac has become an increasingly popular target for malware authors

If you mean it's gone from 0.02 % of total malwares to 0.12% I suppose that's an increase.  On the other hand being a "target for" and being "affected by" are not the same thing.

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

with some reportedly netting as much as $10,000 per day from their creations. 

Whoa there.  ONE was estimated (by Symantic for cryin' out loud) to have done this.  Once.  In 2012.  For a limited time.  The quote makes it sound as if there are many more successfully making thousands daily, with "some" netting $10,000 daily, continually since the Flashback reports two years ago right through today.   Which, unless I missed some articles, has not been even speculated.  

I'm as cognizant of bad folks on the net as anyone and have no doubt people have been malwared out of plenty of money on OSX, but those two statements are awfully shoddy writing.

• Reply 25 of 27

I don't think AI is shilling this because I saw a lot of Mac sites carrying this story on the Mac# app.

The moment I saw Google, I decided mentally not to download this app.

What can I say? AI has made me shit-scared of Google. I keep hearing Geena Davis' voice saying 'Be afraid. Be very afraid.'

• Reply 26 of 27
    I've been working on Apple computers for ten years as an ACMT. I've worked directly for Apple, as well as a handful of AASP and APSP. I can say with great certainty this garbage detailed in this article is not needed and a joke used for monetary gains on Google's part. I've seen Malware for OS X in the form of exploiting several system files (launchd alterations and safari meta data) as well as the dreaded /s Mac Defender, but the thing about all of these, Apple is quick to acknowledge and fix this issues in a timely manor. There is a list of 20-30 vulnerabilities that have been known threats, one or two still exist and are not by any means common for the average user. I've always removed, or told people to rid their Macs of A/V software. It's useless and in almost all cases, is a resource hog that turns complaints of performance issues. This is no different. Let them convince you, as the consumer, that this product is needed when in reality it isn't, and you lose this game, the same game Google built it's empire on.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydrogen View Post

over my dead body

It is from Google;

it looks like crap;

it uploads your stuff so that they can look into it.

What's NOT to dislike? 

Irrelevant news; move along, citizens.