Hackers use 'Find My iPhone' to lockout, ransom Mac and iOS device owners in Australia

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    b9bot wrote: »
    1 total case reported doesn't make this a story people. Just 1 person reported this. This is sensationalism from whomever wrote this.
    Make sure your password is decent and move along people, nothing to see here.

Umm, it's being reported by more than one person.
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6270410?start=0&tstart=0
  • Reply 22 of 31
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,486member

Every single day hundreds of people get their bank accounts hacked because someone got their user ID and password and proceeded to transferred money out. Several billion dollars worth.

Yet where are the news reports when this happens? I guess if the person doesn't have "Jobs" or "Apple" in their name, it's not newsworthy. But a small number of people lose their Apple ID and suddenly it's front page news.

• Reply 23 of 31
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    oldmacs wrote: »
    Two step authentication is not changing anything. The apple discussion forum thread  show there have  been cases today where the password has been changed by apple and then the devices re locked. Something bigger is going on and its localised to Australia. 

Password was more than likely changed by the hackers not Apple. The victims are likely reusing passwords so they get phished on say Facebook and that's their iCloud also. Hackers remote lock phone to force a DFU and change iCloud to activation lock the phone. With luck they find someone using the same password for email also so they can change that and really mess folks up
  • Reply 24 of 31
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

A big corporation like Apple should have a SWAT style security team, a rapid response assault team, ready to go anywhere on the planet and hunt down any hackers that are a threat to Apple and its' users and either apprehend them or eliminate them, based on the circumstances.

Yeah, I know it's probably not exactly legal, I was just saying what I wish that Apple had.

• Reply 25 of 31
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

The victims are likely reusing passwords so they get phished on say Facebook and that's their iCloud also. 

If that's the case, then those users are morons. That's like security 101, never use the same damn password across multiple sites. Neither Apple or anybody else can be held responsible for the actions of morons.

If somebody forgets to lock the door to their house, then whose fault is that?

• Reply 26 of 31
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post

What me worry. It just works and Apple is secure as fort Knox isn't it ?

No one know what 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post

What me worry. It just works and Apple is secure as fort Knox isn't it ?

I believe even Fort Knox has locks but if someone refuse to lock his whatever can you blame Apple.

• Reply 27 of 31
    apple ][ wrote: »
    If that's the case, then those users are morons. That's like security 101, never use the same damn password across multiple sites. Neither Apple or anybody else can be held responsible for the actions of morons.

I use the same email and password on lots of sites EXCEPT a few important ones like Apple, my bank and credit cards and my personal email account. I don't care if someone gets my password for an online forum or other site (like AI).

The problem is a lot of people don't treat their accounts differently and use the same lax procedures/passwords for ALL their accounts.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    darryn lowedarryn lowe Posts: 250member

I'm next door to Australia here in New Zealand.

Hasn't happened here yet. In the process of two-factor authentication though. Have to wait for three days for it to start though.

• Reply 29 of 31
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

And stop using the same password for every site. No matter how complex you think your password is if you use it for more than one account you continually add all those accounts to a pool of easily hacked account as soon as your own set of credentials is known.

My gut says they had a "secure" password that they used with different services which is how there iCloud accounts were accessible to this criminals.

And make sure the do the basic thing: Turn The Pass Code On. Hacker cannot change you unlock passcode unless you never have it on. Gosh, why are there lots of dumb people?

• Reply 30 of 31
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    jungmark wrote: »
    The weakest link will always be the human element.

Except for those times when it isn't.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    apple ][ wrote: »

I use the same email and password on lots of sites EXCEPT a few important ones like Apple, my bank and credit cards and my personal email account. I don't care if someone gets my password for an online forum or other site (like AI).

The problem is a lot of people don't treat their accounts differently and use the same lax procedures/passwords for ALL their accounts.

Yes; I think that the important thing is to make sure that your Apple ID is unique.