Apple fixes podcast bug with iTunes 11.2.2 release, issues first developer beta of OS X 10.9.4

Posted:
in macOS edited May 2014
Apple on Wednesday pushed out a minor update for its iTunes media suite, fixing a podcast-related bug and various stability improvements. Developers were also provided with the first beta of OS X 10.9.4, arriving a few weeks after OS X 10.9.3 became available to the public.

iTunes

iTunes 11.2.2 is now available to download through the Mac App Store or directly from Apple for both OS X and Windows. According to Apple, the update fixes a problem where certain podcast episodes may download unexpectedly.

In addition, iTunes 11.2.2 is said to include several stability improvements. It arrives less than two weeks after iTunes 11.2.1 was quickly issued to address a flaw with the "/Users" folder in OS X 10.9.3

As for Mavericks, the Mac operating system will receive another bug fix and maintenance update, with Apple now testing OS X 10.9.4 with its developer community. Regular consumers can also test out the pre-release software for free if they opt into Apple's Beta Seed Program, which launched last month.

Not much is yet known about OS X 10.9.4, but the update is unlikely to bring any major additions or changes to Mavericks. The last update, OS X 10.9.3, launched two weeks ago with enhanced support for high-resolution 4K monitors.

Apple is expected to unveil its next major OS X release, presumably version 10.10, at next week's Worldwide Developers Conference, which will kick off with a keynote presentation on Monday. Last year, Apple unveiled OS X 10.9 Mavericks at WWDC 2013, and the software became available as a free download on Oct. 22.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I meant to only update iTunes, not install the 10.9.4b1. Oops.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I meant to only update iTunes, not install the 10.9.4b1. Oops.

It would be nice if Apple would ask us to opt-in to each new beta test period.

• Reply 3 of 11
    cpsro wrote: »
    It would be nice if Apple would ask us to opt-in to each new beta test period.
    I think I had a choice but with the collapsed default state I only saw the iTunes update.

What I'd really like is if Apple listed the size of the update. I find it odd they don't tell you.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    drekryandrekryan Posts: 2member
    I don't know about you but I'm not seeing the OS X 10.9.4 beta through the Apple Beta Seed Program. Are you sure the beta is going to be available through that program. I would do some fact checking before you assume things.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    drekryandrekryan Posts: 2member
    I don't know if its just me but I'm not seeing the OS X 10.9.4 beta through the Beta Seed Program. Are you sure it is going to be available through the Beta Seed program or are you assuming things like every other tech blog does.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member

is 10.9.4 available for beta seed program? i don't see it.

• Reply 7 of 11
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What I'd really like is if Apple listed the size of the update. I find it odd they don't tell you.

Yes, this is one of several things about where Software Update has gone that really irks me.  I can't figure any reason to have removed it.

• Reply 8 of 11
    gerritgerrit Posts: 29member

I wonder if this update is really related to the mass Apple ID hacking that's been happening recently. Especially wondering because installing the update caused my Apple ID to be disabled and I was forced to reset my password...

• Reply 9 of 11
    gerrit wrote: »
    I wonder if this update is really related to the mass Apple ID hacking that's been happening recently. Especially wondering because installing the update caused my Apple ID to be disabled and I was forced to reset my password...

1) Are you in Australia?

2) Note that it took several days to issue a fix for the GoToFail bug and that was literally removing a single line of code that had already been pointed out to them. That story that cropped up yesterday about some douchebag locking devices via iCloud seems more convoluted. Did we even get an update to how they obtained the password data?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    gerritgerrit Posts: 29member

I'm not in Australia. I'd even bet that someone other than Apple was compromised (an Aussie ISP?) and because people reuse their passwords, that would translate into a lot of compromised Apple IDs... but I installed the iTunes update and had to restart my iPhone (which I do several times a day because of iOS development) and when it restarted a notice popped up that I had to reset the password on my Apple ID. Everything iCloud was fine pre-restart.

I posted here more because I was curious if anyone else had anything similar happen I guess?

• Reply 11 of 11
    gerrit wrote: »
    I posted here more because I was curious if anyone else had anything similar happen I guess?

I didn't have to change my iClloud password.