Beats acquisition to result in first and only Apple apps for Android & Windows Phone

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited June 2014
When recent reports suggested Apple was considering bringing iTunes to Android to help boost flagging music sales, skeptics scoffed at the thought of the iPhone maker supporting a competing platform. But with its $3 billion purchase of Beats, Apple has now revealed it plans to keep the Beats Music subscription apps alive not only on Google's Android, but also Microsoft's Windows Phone.

Speaking at the Code Conference on Wednesday, Apple executive Eddy Cue revealed that Beats Music for both Android and Windows Phone will continue to exist. That's a significant change for Apple, as the company has historically discontinued applications on competing platforms following an acquisition.

"It's on Android now, and we want to keep it that way," Cue said.

By keeping the popular Beats brand alive, Apple has found a way to give itself a presence on competing platforms -- and sell music subscriptions to even more users -- without directly using the Apple name.

Keeping Beats Music on competing platforms also lessens the chance of federal scrutiny of the acquisition, which is expected to close later this year. Apple is already under sanctions from the U.S. government for its iBooks service following its defeat in a federal antitrust case.

Interestingly, the official Beats Music website only showcases the application running on an iPhone 5s, with no signs of any Android or Windows Phone devices.

Rumors first surfaced in March claiming that Apple was in talks with record labels about launching an on-demand music service. In hindsight, it would appear that Apple held those apparent talks in anticipation of acquiring Beats Music, which is a Spotify-like service that allows unlimited on-demand music streaming for $99.99 per year.

The same report from Billboard suggested that Apple was considering an iTunes application for Android. Whether that's actually in the works remains to be seen, but the existence of Beats on Android and Windows Phone will still stand as the first Apple-owned applications written for third-party modern smartphone platforms.

Apple, of course, has dabbled in others' platforms before, most prominently with iTunes for Windows PCs. But that came at a time when Apple was pushing its iPod media players, which required syncing with a desktop in order to transfer music.

Presumably, Apple will also keep the Beats application for Microsoft's Windows 8 alive as well. iTunes remains a desktop-only affair, incompatible with Microsoft's tile-based "Metro" interface.

DRM-free music purchased through Apple's iTunes Store can be listened to on Android and Windows Phone handsets if the files are manually synced, but the iTunes application itself does not support syncing. And direct downloads from the iTunes Store to smartphones or tablets are only available on iPhones and iPads.

Similarly, Apple's iTunes Radio service can be streamed to iPhone, iPad, and even Apple TV. And iTunes Radio is also included in iTunes for Mac and Windows, but the service cannot be accessed from an Android device or Windows Phone.

Late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs talked about the prospect of iTunes for Android with biographer Walter Isaacson before he passed away in 2011. Jobs admitted that Apple considered bringing iTunes to Google's mobile platform, but ultimately decided it wasn't a wise decision.

"We put iTunes on Windows in order to sell more iPods," Jobs said. "But I don't see an advantage of putting our own music app on Android, except to make Android users happy. And I don't want to make Android users happy."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    ddawson100ddawson100 Posts: 514member
    First and only Windows Windows App. A bit dramatic. :/

I don't know why but I just thought about Microsoft throwing Apple a lifeline by launching MS Office for the Mac.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    dugbugdugbug Posts: 283member

It may linger on under the 'beats' moniker what with contracts and paying customers but the clock is ticking.

• Reply 3 of 48
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Certainly the first from Apple for those platforms, but will it be the last? Are we to see more of this from Apple?

We know making iTunes for Windows help catapult the iPod but I don't see that happening with any Android or WinPh app unless there is a wearable from Apple and they've determined that connecting to non-Apple devices is in their best interest (i.e.: bottom line).

PS: I hope we finally get iTunes in iCloud and the Apple TV can connect to it and a Home Server setup so we can decentralize iTunes and be able to edit or iTunes Match setup.

ddawson100 wrote: »

What is so dramatic about it? It's the truth and stated plainly without any ambiguity.
    I don't know why but I just thought about Microsoft throwing Apple a lifeline by launching MS Office for the Mac.

"Microsoft Office for Mac was introduced for Mac OS in 1989, before Office was released for Windows."<sup>1</sup> MS Office for Mac has always been profitable for MS which is why they make it.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

The  "Microsoft throwing Apple a lifeline by launching MS Office for the Mac" bit happened as much for MS as it did for Apple. That was necessary to wrap up a settlement in the on going  lawsuit re: ms copy of Apple software....and also, MS got shares for their 150 million "investment in Apple that, if they had kept them , would be worth over 1 Billion $$$ today. Some "lifeline".

• Reply 5 of 48
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Beats isn't a major player so why would the Feds care? Oh yea, Amazon's payroll.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    imemberimember Posts: 247member

I care less about Android and Windows, But this is good news! "meaning" Apple will not ditch Beats logo and replace it with Apple logo

I'm not big fan of Beats Audio but i do like they're logo, hope Apple makes the right decision. 

• Reply 7 of 48
    Make sense now..Andriod camp will start paying Apple by not being able to stream ads...totally lock out Amazon devices from the camp
  • Reply 8 of 48
    ddawson100 wrote: »

That was so three decades ago. Before the Microsoft productivity apps were bundled together and marketed "MS Office".
  • Reply 9 of 48
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Certainly the first from Apple for those platforms, but will it be the last? Are we to see more of this from Apple?

We know making iTunes for Windows help catapult the iPod but I don't see that happening with any Android or WinPh app unless there is a wearable from Apple and they've determined that connecting to non-Apple devices is in their best interest (i.e.: bottom line).

PS: I hope we finally get iTunes in iCloud and the Apple TV can connect to it and a Home Server setup so we can decentralize iTunes and be able to edit or iTunes Match setup.
    What is so dramatic about it? It's the truth and stated plainly without any ambiguity.
    "Microsoft Office for Mac was introduced for Mac OS in 1989, before Office was released for Windows."<sup>1</sup> MS Office for Mac has always been profitable for MS which is why they make it.

How about Apple Maps for Android? Again, I'm thinking how about Apple use some app-Judo and infiltrate the Android platform and recapture people with Apple software and steal the thunder from Google. What does Google gain from offering Android for free? Advertising information. Apple could gut Android's value by taking away Google's core advantages.
  • Reply 10 of 48
    imember wrote: »
    I care less about Android and Windows, But this is good news! "meaning" Apple will not ditch Beats logo and replace it with Apple logo

I'm not big fan of Beats Audio but i do like they're logo, hope Apple makes the right decision. 

Disney wholly bought Pixar and Lucasfilm, but kept both brands and their logos. Keeping Beats Electronics as a brand seems to be the operating plan at the moment.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by iMember View Post

"meaning" Apple will not ditch Beats logo and replace it with Apple logo

Who says?

• Reply 12 of 48
    [QUOTE]How about Apple Maps for Android? Again, I'm thinking how about Apple use some app-Judo and infiltrate the Android platform and recapture people with Apple software and steal the thunder from Google.[/QUOTE]

Agreed and I would like to see iMessage and FaceTime added as well.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    How about Apple Maps for Android? Again, I'm thinking how about Apple use some app-Judo and infiltrate the Android platform and recapture people with Apple software and steal the thunder from Google.

Agreed and I would like to see iMessage and FaceTime added as well.

Actually, I mentioned Maps because besides search, this is a source of marketing and advertising revenue for Google. Take away the advertising revenue and Android has no value.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

I'm looking for iMessage on Android so I can use iMessage on Android exclusively on my Apple devices to message everyone.

• Reply 15 of 48
    solipsismx wrote: »

Not only that, the individual apps like Microsoft Word were available for Mac before being ported to Windows. In fact the only other platform Word supported when Word for Mac launched was MS-DOS.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ireland wrote: »
    I'm looking for iMessage on Android so I can use iMessage on Android exclusively on my Apple devices to message everyone.

I don't think that is likely to happen. Where is the financial benefit for Apple? It seems like it would make it easier for people to leave the iOS platform.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'm a believer in tech segregation and I believe that iOS users should not mingle with Android users, and I definitely don't believe that Apple should make iMessage available for any Android devices.

• Reply 18 of 48
    georgeip5georgeip5 Posts: 225member
    So there isn't going to be an iTunes Radio for Android from the looks of it, Apple just uses beats.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    georgeip5 wrote: »
    So there isn't going to be an iTunes Radio for Android from the looks of it, Apple just uses beats.

Nothing wrong with that.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Won't iTunes need to be made for droid? How will they purchase?