Steve Ballmer outbids group including Laurene Powell Jobs for ownership of LA Clippers

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 69
    vaporlandvaporland Posts: 358member

(ignore this post, see the next one, somehow they got combined...)

• Reply 62 of 69
    vaporlandvaporland Posts: 358member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I wonder if Steve-O will rename the team to "Developers, Developers, Developers"

The LA Clippies?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

This is the perfect move -- it simultaneously increases the average intelligence of NBA owners and technology company CEOs. 

Ballmer will petition the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Naturalization Service to allow players from foreign countries to come to the USA on work visas to 'address the shortage of qualified basketball players in this country', thus driving down player salaries and earning the eternal love of his fellow NBA owners...

• Reply 63 of 69
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    did ya'll see his reaction when he won the bid??

youtube.com/watch?v=RaCbvBwVaJU&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  • Reply 64 of 69
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    jungmark wrote: »
    I wonder if Steve-O will rename the team to "Developers, Developers, Developers"

nah im thinking more along the lines of

"Metro! Metro! Metro!"

or

"Windows! Windows! Windows!"

• Reply 65 of 69

Look like you want to play basketball. Can I help?

• Reply 66 of 69
    Wow!
    Didn't see this coming.
    Steve Ballmer like basketball?
    Thought Stevie was more into WWF with all the chair throwing and stuff.
    Go Monkey Boy!
    (At least he won't have to pay for season tickets.)
  • Reply 67 of 69
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Sports are a distraction that keeps us from knowing what's really going on in the world.  

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Reading, music listening, and any hobby accomplishes the very same thing. People have been watching humans compete against one another since the beginning of time.

Not quite. Adam and Eve had no human onlookers, as they were the only two. Not sure how much competing they did, either, unless it was playing Bob the Apple.
  • Reply 68 of 69
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Other than Steve Jobs's widow how is this even remotely related to Apple or Apple news?

Why isn't that good enough?

He's just looking for an excuse to say that this site is turning into Ballmer Insider or some such rubbish.
  • Reply 69 of 69
    zoetmb wrote: »

Sports are a distraction that keeps us from knowing what's really going on in the world.  
    People who don't want to know what's going on in the world, for whatever reasons, don't need sports to distract them.   They can use anything else to distract them, whether it's movies, TV, books, music, cooking, religion, clubbing, dancing, fashion, Facebook, using Twitter, video games, coding, whatever.   If one wants to know about the world, one will, regardless of other interests that they may have.   The implication of your statement is that if we didn't have sports, we'd all know what's going on in the world.  That's incredibly naive.  

Having said that, I've never understood the obsession with professional sports we have in this country, to the extent where every TV news broadcast as well as the New York Times and most other newspapers feel the need to report on every single professional sports score every single day.    They'll drop stories, especially detailed stories, about Afghanistan, Iraq, the Middle East, racism, starvation, the environment, medical care, etc., but they'll never drop a story about the night's games.   

And I've never understood the obsession of grown men who need to wear the uniform of their favorite player (and overpaying for the privilege) just in order to toss a ball around in the park.   

Decades ago, going to the ballpark was something that almost everyone could afford.   When I was a kid in the 1960s, the bleachers at Yankee Stadium cost 75 cents and the upper grandstand cost $1.35 (about $5.80 and $10.50, respectively, in 2014 dollars).   But today, you take a family to the ballpark and it can easily cost $300-$500.   And those are ballparks that in many cases, were funded by taxpayers.    My broker took me to a Knicks game a few years ago.  We sat court side and the price on the ticket was something like $500 (he was given the tickets by a season ticket-holder).   Yet the Dolans, who own the Knicks and the Garden, don't pay New York City anything in taxes for use of the Garden.    We really are suckers. 

But if Ballmer wants to buy the team with his own money, that's fine.    It could be fun watching Ballmer freak out in the stands.   100 years ago, the super-rich funded universities, museums, libraries and opera houses.   Today they buy sports teams.   Maybe Darwin was wrong. 

Good post, other than you could say that other things are a distraction to what is going on in your world, which is sport. Depends on how you define 'world.'