iOS 8 banners grace Moscone Center as Apple's WWDC preparations continue

Comments

• Reply 41 of 88
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    And cloud would actually make sense. Cloud is something they do. Cloud is a tech term.

Water not so much.
  • Reply 42 of 88
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    With the turgid water backdrop, I suspect Apple will be getting into the Swimming apps category, helping people maximize their swimming workouts and also providing a social component to communicate lap speeds with friends and family.

Samsung, start your copiers.
  • Reply 43 of 88
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

What a horrible idea! :-)

Mac OS X.X :D

• Reply 44 of 88
    popinfreshpopinfresh Posts: 145member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

It's hard to tell with eights of course but, yeah either this is "turgid" cloud cover or it's upside down. ( If it is upside down they shudda hired someone a bit more clued in than louis. He's funny but not really handy. )

@solipismX I was joking about acqua on iOS

It's neither clouds or upside down. The camera is underwater looking up through the waters surface.

-PopinFRESH

• Reply 45 of 88
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I'm not buying underwater as a theme either.
  • Reply 46 of 88
    popinfreshpopinfresh Posts: 145member
    Quote:

I'm not suggesting any "theme", simply stating that the banner is clearly an underwater picture of the surface of the water with light shining down through it.

-PopinFRESH

• Reply 47 of 88
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexmit View Post

"turgid" or "turbid" blue water?

Neither one makes sense.

The better adjective would be turbulent.

• Reply 48 of 88
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mpantone wrote: »
    Neither one makes sense.

The better adjective would be turbulent.

If I had to choose one with a 't' I'd choose turbulent but even that isn't accurate for what I'm seeing.
  • Reply 49 of 88
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Looks pretty tranquil to me.
  • Reply 50 of 88

blue is a chilly color... frigid, if you will

the water pictured is moving, it's in turmoil.

turmoil + frigid = turgid.   (which is better than frimoil)

• Reply 51 of 88
    freshmakerfreshmaker Posts: 532member

OSX San Andreas

• Reply 52 of 88
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member

I'm surprised that nobody has noted that the 8 used here is not in fact an 8 at all, but a very subtle infinity sign.  

What do you suppose that means in the context of an operating system?

Note: One esoteric meaning of this symbol is 'unity'.  

Just food for thought.

• Reply 53 of 88
    jax44jax44 Posts: 79member

Ah yes, Monastery Beach. Or, as us locals call it, Mortuary Beach.

• Reply 54 of 88
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If Apple specifically made a new UI and for the iPad's version of iOS instead of literally making a larger iPhone OS then I don't think you'll see a unification of Mac OS and iOS apps. I could see them merging even more underlying elements to make it easier for developers which could help attract more Mac buyers but there is no reason to think there all be unified apps. You can look at the MS Surface to see how that isn't exactly a winning formula. I think Cook has even made statements about making the best OS for a particular UI instead of making an "all compromise" solution.

Take a look at that 8 again.  

I don't think the poster is necessarily all that far off the mark.

FYI, MS just did this same thing and introduced it at their build conference - the ability to write one app and target everything from windows phone to Windows 8.1 on a PC.  And speaking as a developer, I can tell you that this is a very appealing thing.

In reality, Apple already does something like this with universal binaries.  It's already possible to target a single binary at iPhone - iPad, regardless of size.  And the bottom line is that for many applications, the nuances of what customize the experience for a given context have more to do with interaction than with presentation.  I know that I am simplifying somewhat in saying that, but speaking from experience, it is absolutely possible to create single code bases with differing expressions based on the properties of the target device.  

As with all things, the issues with universal apps and divergent platforms are not impossibilities, but reflect details of implementation.  What MS did with surface and Window 8 (which you point out) doesn't make the idea flawed, it makes the implementation flawed.  Just as Apple perfected the implementation of a tablet device, I see no reason why Apple or any other company cannot architect and design carefully enough to make it work, and well.  People reacted to the idea of a tablet based on the flawed implementations they had seen... and they assumed the devices were a practical impossibility.  But of course the failures of the past were not failures of a fundamental nature, but rather were failures of nuance.  This is exactly the same.

Frankly I would not be at all surprised if what the poster indicated comes to pass.

• Reply 55 of 88
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

I'd like for them to continue using places that you won't find in a AAA map of CA.

Yeah locals only hang out like Trestles, which is a cool name but some other good surf spots are River Mouth, Killer Dana, Old Man's, Trail 6

• Reply 56 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

Still with the too-thin fonts, then...

I noticed that too.  :(

• Reply 57 of 88
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PopinFRESH View Post

Quote:

I'm not suggesting any "theme", simply stating that the banner is clearly an underwater picture of the surface of the water with light shining down through it.

Apple hasn't started naming iOS after CA locations yet. Do you suppose they will start now to match OS X? 

• Reply 58 of 88
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member

I got it!

iOS 8 Martins Beach!

:D

• Reply 59 of 88
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    mstone wrote: »
    Apple hasn't started naming iOS after CA locations yet. Do you suppose they will start now to match OS X? 
    Last year iOS and OSX banners were completely different. This year the iOS 8 banner is a lot similar to OSX banner. I'm sure there is some significance there.
  • Reply 60 of 88
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Looks like Mac OS X, not XI, will get a demo and beta again this year.

Is that El Capitan in Yosemite National Park? I guess El Capitan, Yosemite or Sierras would all be viable names. I'm hoping it's El Capitan as opposed to using the National Park name.

It doesn't look like Half Dome, so it must be El Capitan.